DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does the Mini 3 charging hub charge one battery at a time or all three simultaneously?

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I've pretty much decided that when there is ample stock on the Mini 3's and they've sorted some of the bugs out I'm going to buy a Mini 3. Part of the draw is the picture quality and the other part is having a smart controller with more features and screen for quick deployment.

As you may already know, the DJI Mini 2 charging hub charges one battery at a time sequentially rather than than simultaneously as the Hanatora charging station (for the Mavic 2) does.

Does the charging hub that comes in the Mini 3's "fly more" kit charge batteries sequentially or simultaneously? I don't think I'm going to go for the FMC, but if one at a time, I'll wait for a 3rd party, like Hanatora, to sell a multi-charging system. [I love the one that I have for my M2P]

I'm trying to sort my thinking out in that the Mini 3 with smart controller is $909 with one battery. Two more batteries are $130 (or $95 each for the extended ones). $1039 so far. The DJI charger is $49 (subtotal $1088). $9 for replacement propellers? $1097. The FMC kit costs $1158. Do I need the bag for $61??? I already have the same bag for my Mini 2 and a better bag that came with my M2P. I'd rather get one of the extended batteries and have two regular and one extended for a total of $1127, still cheaper than the FMC. Maybe I'm not calculating this correctly. Perhaps I'll only need the battery that comes with the Mini 3 and an extended? Cheaper still and I can still pick up the extra battery once I see how things shake out.

One at a time, just like all DJI's hubs.

One at a time, just like all DJI's hubs.
Thanks. It will be interesting to see what kind of 3rd party goodies will be coming soon. Cases and chargers and lifters, oh my! I didn't have a charging bank with my Mini 2 and was really happy just buying adapters at $13 each that clipped onto each battery and attached to a standard USB charger. I could charge 3 at once and be out the door from fully depleted batteries to completely full in about 45 minutes. The one advantage to the DJI charger is that it is a convenient battery holder.

I've pretty much decided that when there is ample stock on the Mini 3's and they've sorted some of the bugs out I'm going to buy a Mini 3. Part of the draw is the picture quality and the other part is having a smart controller with more features and screen for quick deployment.

As you may already know, the DJI Mini 2 charging hub charges one battery at a time sequentially rather than than simultaneously as the Hanatora charging station (for the Mavic 2) does.

Does the charging hub that comes in the Mini 3's "fly more" kit charge batteries sequentially or simultaneously? I don't think I'm going to go for the FMC, but if one at a time, I'll wait for a 3rd party, like Hanatora, to sell a multi-charging system. [I love the one that I have for my M2P]

I'm trying to sort my thinking out in that the Mini 3 with smart controller is $909 with one battery. Two more batteries are $130 (or $95 each for the extended ones). $1039 so far. The DJI charger is $49 (subtotal $1088). $9 for replacement propellers? $1097. The FMC kit costs $1158. Do I need the bag for $61??? I already have the same bag for my Mini 2 and a better bag that came with my M2P. I'd rather get one of the extended batteries and have two regular and one extended for a total of $1127, still cheaper than the FMC. Maybe I'm not calculating this correctly. Perhaps I'll only need the battery that comes with the Mini 3 and an extended? Cheaper still and I can still pick up the extra battery once I see how things shake out.

one at a time like all DJI hubs. it sends all the power to the highest remaining charge battery first (to get a battery to full the quickest) then in order after that to get you in the air as fast as possible.

the hub charged my three batteries in around an hour and a half from 50% remaining charge using a 30w charger which falls in line with the stated 1 hour per battery if they are around 15%,
which is the forced landing remaining charge level , the RC can be charged using the mini 1 or 2 18w charger in about the same time from 50% remaining charge
i would only think about an aftermarket charger that charges them all at the same time if i had more than three batteries ,i have those for my MPP and MM

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
the hub charged my three batteries in around an hour and a half from 50% remaining charge using a 30w charger which falls in line with the stated 1 hour per battery if they are around 15%,
which is the forced landing remaining charge level , the RC can be charged using the mini 1 or 2 18w charger in about the same time from 50% remaining charge
i would only think about an aftermarket charger that charges them all at the same time if i had more than three batteries ,i have those for my MPP and MM
Does the voltage in the UK make a difference? We only have 110/120v here.

no its the out put from the charger that is the important factor

Reactions: KLRSKIR

I understand if you have a need to charge all 3 quickly but I like the fact the hub doubles as a storage means for the batteries and cuts down on space in the bag, and for me I charge in advance of flying with no time pressure and then never burn more than 3 packs in a day so for me "no rush". hopefully they come out with solutions for you since you said the Mini 2 had aftermarket options.

when it comes to battery charging ,the only real advantage of having a aftermarket charger is their ability to charge multiple batteries at the same time,my usual routine is charge the evening before if i am going to fly next day ,using the dji charging hub ,and then i will use the aftermarket one, if there is an unexpected break in the weather, and i decide to fly later in the day ,then i can charge all the batteries, in the same time as the charge hub takes to do one ,there is a place for both sorts of charger

Reactions: Joethedrone
Some after market chargers like the one for my M2P will charge to 60% for short term storage.

Reactions: Pedwards
I'm trying to sort my thinking out in that the Mini 3 with smart controller is $909 with one battery. Two more batteries are $130 (or $95 each for the extended ones). $1039 so far. The DJI charger is $49 (subtotal $1088). $9 for replacement propellers? $1097.
Don't forget the little screwdriver (for changing out the props) that's included. That screwdriver is worth at least twenty or thirty bucks...
:rolleyes:

Reactions: DroneSketcher
when it comes to battery charging ,the only real advantage of having a aftermarket charger is their ability to charge multiple batteries at the same time,my usual routine is charge the evening before if i am going to fly next day ,using the dji charging hub ,and then i will use the aftermarket one, if there is an unexpected break in the weather, and i decide to fly later in the day ,then i can charge all the batteries, in the same time as the charge hub takes to do one ,there is a place for both sorts of charger
I get that entirely. Perhaps for many reasons I'm not as well planned out as you for weather, health or other reasons. Sometimes the stars have to align to make flying worthwhile, so there are times when I need to be charged and ready to go in an hour or so. With my Mavic 2, I have both the Hanatora and the DJI charger to charge 3 batteries. I'll charge 2 on the Hanatora and one on the DJI charger so I know I have full strength charging on all batteries for the shortest time. I also have the charging bank that came with the Mini 2 FMC. I'll use that often, time permitting, but will also often remove one battery and charge it separately within the drone.

I suspect that Hanatora or someone will come out with a parallel (multi) charging unit which, other than keeping all the batteries together in a single pack will be the way I'll go. I also think at this moment that when the $909 packages comes I'll start by ordering an extended battery and extra props.

I ran some numbers comparing buying scenarios and DJI sure has pushed the envelope with this one.

I think what would have made the flymore Kit more attractive would have been had they included a set of ND filters. That’s another expense that one has to consider, but it makes no difference. If you want them you have to buy them as a separate accessory anyway. It’s kind of fascinating how DJI has taken the previous $600 model and really bumped the price. While there are significant improvements, like the Mavic three in someways there is sticker shock. But at least it’s not a $5000 sticker shock.

Reactions: old man mavic
@vindibona1 the problem is that DJI, along with all manufacturing companies world wide ,are facing the same material shortages and energy costs ,that we all are struggling with right now
due to recent world events, so its always the consumer that has to foot the bill ,no matter what the product is

While on my trip to the UK, I've used this powerbank to charge the batteries while still out in the "wild".

I had 3rd party chargers with my M2P which could simultaneously power them of course with 230 V, but I really appreciate now being able to charge via USB C and this fast. I could easily extent my flying from morning to evening without any stop at home or to a wall plugged charger. With 3 batteries and the powerbank, I could squeeze out about 7 flights (with 20 % on landing). One full charge is about 23 - 25 % of the powerbank.

Last edited:
@vindibona1 the problem is that DJI, along with all manufacturing companies world wide ,are facing the same material shortages and energy costs ,that we all are struggling with right now
due to recent world events, so its always the consumer that has to foot the bill ,no matter what the product is
Again, I understand. There are lots of things upside-down these days. And while COVID was the beginning, I believe that much of what we face today are man-made crises. Hopefully wise people will show up and lead the way out.

I do not have an Air2s and got my M2p before it was on the market (4 weeks after getting my Mini 1). Without knowing, I have to wonder if the Mini 2 is an Air2s killer? What I love about my M2p more than anything is the variable aperture. It's a pity that upgrading to the current, larger DJI drone with a variable aperture has such a tremendous price bump. But I hope the Mini 3 will largely fill the role of the Air2s and with the RC controller offer that extra something. If all goes well we expect to spend some time out of the US and the Mini 3 seems to be what will be a great companion given intl restrictions and rules regarding weight class.

But getting back to the charging thing, I can already see one company producing a 3 battery charging adapter for the Mini 3 for $25. Not as elegant as the DJI charging hub, but it possibly has advantages beyond price. Many cases, even already on the market have individual cut-outs for batteries. Also I suspect Hanatora will be out with their Mini 3 version of what they offer for the Mini 2. Yeah, it will be more wieldy to pack at 11cm x 11cm x 4cm, but will probably take only 90 minutes or so to charge 4 batteries.

For now, my plan (always subject to change) is to get the Mini 3 with the RC controller and one extended battery and some replacement props. I can charge the batteries through the drone until I figure out what is ultimately the best way to go. DJI makes it too easy to piece-meal the extra stuff. With the old flymore packaging it was almost foolish not to buy the FMC or Costco bundle. IMO they don't provide much incentive to get the FMC out of the gate and I don't expect my Mini 3 to be in my hands for a month or longer.

Also as a side note, one company has already produced their version of leg extensions, a foldable "skid" design currently selling for $13USD. 16 grams. Not an issue in the US going over 250g.
1654946404747.png 1654946484423.png 1654947330635.png

@vindibona1 i have a similar charger for my MM ,not so sure about that cable that splits into 3 will it provide 30w to each battery ,or reduce it to 10w per battery , just asking, if so it would take a long time to charge 3 batteries at only 10w input

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
@vindibona1 i have a similar charger for my MM ,not so sure about that cable that splits into 3 will it provide 30w to each battery ,or reduce it to 10w per battery , just asking, if so it would take a long time to charge 3 batteries at only 10w input
I think this is a sequential charger as well, but half the price of the charging hub. I'm not sure when my Mini 3 will arrive, but I'm sure that more 3rd party products will be available by then. Going from Mini 1 to Mini 2 what changed was, of course, the size of the controller, requiring a larger case space. I'm surprised that nobody chose to make wider cases in the semi-hard category so the controller could be packed standing up rather than laying down flat. One thing that I will find interesting is how much if any I have to change my case configuration. In my Apache 2800, with layering, having the extra width, I can pack a ton of stuff, and yet it fits in my backpack. But I suppose the most obvious packing choice for day to day travel is the Mavic 2 FMC case. I'm sure the Mini 3 will fit nicely in there with basic accessory necessities straight away. I'm not sure why DJI includes cases and try to stuff 10 pounds of stuff in the included 5 pound bag?

Sorry for getting carried away... It's the medication :0 Just excited to get my hands on the Mini 3.

Mini 2 Apache2800 layers.jpg

1654961540976.png

@vindibona1 you will be pleasantly surprised with the case that comes with the Mini 3 combo it holds the drone , battery hub with batteries in ,the RC ,have to leave the sticks off though,and the spare props etc without putting any stress on the props, drone in nose first, bottom towards outside of the case, and is perfect to carry all you need for flight,i have no plans at this time to get a hard case, it would even be possible to fit a 4th battery next to the hub ,without having to put it in the drone ,if you did that would mean 5 batteries could be carried

@vindibona1 you will be pleasantly surprised with the case that comes with the Mini 3 combo it holds the drone , battery hub with batteries in ,the RC ,have to leave the sticks off though,and the spare props etc without putting any stress on the props, drone in nose first, bottom towards outside of the case, and is perfect to carry all you need for flight,i have no plans at this time to get a hard case, it would even be possible to fit a 4th battery next to the hub ,without having to put it in the drone ,if you did that would mean 5 batteries could be carried
If it’s the same case as the Mini 2 I’ve got one already. I also have a plethora of camera cases, many empty waiting for use. I even have a photo backpack that’s not too big. Shouldn’t be too hard to figure it out.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kesiganes