DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does the Samsung Tablet S2 work with the DJI Fly App Software?

LoudThunder

Part 107 Licensed
Reactions
I am a Recreational Drone Flyer and I fly a non-DJI Drone; however, I plan to buy the Mini 2 or Mini SE. I have been reviewing all the DJI YouTube Videos and the videos from other reviewers and I still have not decided on which Drone. I do not need 4K video, but I like the idea of the OcuSync 2.0, but for the difference in cost between the two, I can buy a lot of batteries and accessories for the SE…

Both DJI Drones use the DJI Fly App Software. In addition, I've reviewed the list of compatible phones with the DJI Fly App, Android V 1.4.8, on the DJI Support, Software Download page, and none of my phones are listed. I've read that the App requires a 64-bit processor in the phone and my phones are all 32-bit.

I normally use my Samsung Tablet S2, SM-T713, with a 64-bit Processor and Android Version 7.0, with my non DJI Drone.

I read that if you are not sure if you phone or tablet will work with DJI Fly App, try loading the App and if it loads and runs, it should work fine…

I have done this, and the App seems to run fine on my tablet.

My concern is I cannot buy one of the these Drones and also buy a new compatible phone, so I will have to use my Samsung Tablet. I went to the Cult of Drone Web page (Drone Buying Guides, Reviews and Useful Tips & Tricks | Cult of Drone) and they have an extensive list of Compatible and Incompatible Phones and Tablets, my tablet is not listed on either list.

By the Way… I asked this question on the DJI Forum Web Page (DJI FORUM) and one of the Super Moderators replied back that my tablet was not tested and may not be optimized for the DJI application and they cannot guaranteed if it will work all the time and if it will be able to run all the functions of the DJI Fly application while using it. They recommend that I get on of the recommended mobile devices for the DJI Fly application. But like I wrote earlier, I cannot afford both…

So, is there anyone flying the Mini 2 or Mini SE with the DJI Fly App and using an Android Samsung Tablet S2, Model SM-T713?

I can confirm that it does not work with the GO 4 app , with the Mavic Pro , so it probably won't work with the new DJI Fly App .

I can confirm that it does not work with the GO 4 app , with the Mavic Pro , so it probably won't work with the new DJI Fly App .
Kndll,

Thank you for the quick reply.

I do have a few follow questions. As I wrote, I do not yet have a DJI Drone, so all my testing is not all that valid… the DJI Fly App opens up normally on my Samsung Tablet S2 and with the exception of actually having a Drone bound to it, the App seems to act like I would expect. I can bring up my DJI Profile, I can watch the included videos, I can bring up the Fly Spots (Location Maps), I can bring up the Connection Guide and select a Drone (for example the Mini SE), Click on Camera view (even the Map View on the bottom Left of the screen brings up my location…), I can even Click on the More (the Three Dots…), and View and even make some changes on the various Tabs (Safety, Control, Camera, etc…). So, for all intents and purposes, it appears that it will work…

Did the GO 4 App, even load onto the Tablet? If so, did it bind up correctly in the beginning? If so, did it fail later, while flying the drone (for example: the App lock up or Freeze)?

When you tried to use that Tablet with the GO 4 app and the Mavic Pro. Did the App act as if it was going to work, but did not.

Once again, thank you for the quick response and any further information you can offer would be very much appreciated.

BD

The app loaded fine , but the tablet will not connect to the Mavic , it goes into charge mode only and will not transfer data , so it will not connect , it is a hardware issue with this model of the Tab S2 , SM- T713 , newer Tab S2 models worked ! I bought a used IPAD MINI 4 and only use it for the Mavic .

Not sure but I think the S2 isn't compatible, check DJI Website for recommended devices.
Also I highly recommend choosing the Mini 2 and not the Mini SE because of the specs.

Reactions: LoudThunder
The app loaded fine , but the tablet will not connect to the Mavic , it goes into charge mode only and will not transfer data , so it will not connect , it is a hardware issue with this model of the Tab S2 , SM- T713 , newer Tab S2 models worked ! I bought a used IPAD MINI 4 and only use it for the Mavic .
Thank you for replying to my posting. I found another posting on the site where a member had data transfer issues also. He resolved it by opening up Developers Options in Setup and changed to the Micro USB from 2 to USB 3 and to use a cable that is rated USB3.

Here is the link to that Posting…

Does anyone fly a Mavic 2 with a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 with Litchi????

Once again, thank you for taking the time to reply back.

Happy Droning…

Thank you for replying to my posting. The referral to the Phantom Help was great. They have a table listing of many phones and tablets with "nods" for and against various units that do and do not work with DJI Apps.

I understand that DJI cannot test every unit with their various apps, especially considering my tablet pre-dates the DJI Fly App; so it's somewhat comforting to know that other users are having good luck with my tablet.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to reply.

Happy Droning…

Reactions: Dedal
I use a Galaxy Tab A7 with the NLD Go 4 app for my Mavic Pro. Not a mega expensive tablet that runs smooth and has a good screen for the money.

Reactions: LoudThunder
I use a Galaxy Tab A7 with the NLD Go 4 app for my Mavic Pro. Not a mega expensive tablet that runs smooth and has a good screen for the money.
Thank you for your reply. I've been reviewing my options if my Samsung Tablet S2, SM-T713, with a 64-bit Processor and Android Version 7.0 doesn't work out for me and I've been checking out Costco.

They carry the Samsung Galaxy 8.7" Tab A7 Lite with 32GB for about $140. Surprisingly my Tab S2 has much better graphics at 2048x1536 pixels verses the Tab A7's 1340x800 pixels. But most other specifications are upgraded, faster processor, etc… Costco also carries the Mini 2, with an Extra Battery, Mini Bag, and a 32GB MicroSD Card for $440.00

Some folk have complained about older technology saying they cannot fly FPV due to the video lapse. Since I have no intention of flying any obstacle courses ducking under, over, or around stuff like tires, trees, old buildings, etc… a Video Lapse would not be a problem with me. I'm just hopeful for DJI Fly App to function normally, even if it a bit slow…

Last night, I was watching a YouTube Video, "DJI MINI 2 - 10 Biggest DRONE MISTAKES New Pilots Make" and at 8:50 in the Video, Aldryn from @FlytPath, said that one of the Big Mistakes DJI Drone Flyers make is Not Using Maps, especially when they lose sight of their drone or it is so far out they cannot tell which way their Drone is facing and the video feed means nothing to them.

So, with me thinking of using my tablet with only WiFi capability, I was wondering if Maps would work with no Internet. I've already loaded DJI Fly App on my tablet and it appears to work normally, abet I have no Drone attached to it.

So, I turned off WiFi and brought up the App and Maps works, even with the Satellite View, not sure where it's getting its maps from. I've save a large Map area in Google Maps, but that does not show any Satellite Views without Internet. But I did notice that when I scrolled further from Home, the maps got less and less detailed.

After playing around, and restarting WiFi for the Internet, the App notified me that an upgraded version, 1.4.12, is available and if I wanted to install, I did and the Upgraded App still seems to run fine. All I need now is a DJI Drone that uses the Fly App to really test it out…

Once again, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Happy Droning and Fly Safe.

BDC

When i get to where i'm flying, i simply set a hot spot on my iphone, connect the tablet to it, then open maps. Then i'll just move the map around, zooming in and out at the same time, so the data is cached. Tried pre downloading Google Maps for the area, but seem to more success and not to mention satellite images too doing it this way. Only takes a couple of minutes. I use the NDL version of Go 4, so have Google Maps instead of Here Maps. Not sure what Maps the Fly App uses.
The only downside i've found so far with the Tab A7 is a bit of screen glare. I'm gonna sort that with a matte screen protector though.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada