DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does this sound like my Mini 3 Pro got jammed?

Reactions
What I'm about to describe has happened twice on a Mavic Air 2 and twice on a Mini 3 Pro using the RC-N1 remote and the latest firmware and software at the time. This is out of hundreds of flights but it only takes one unlucky scenario to potentially destroy the drone.

- I fly the drone out. It's maybe only 500m or so away. Medium connection strength.

- Suddenly I lose the video feed, but the moving marker on the scrolling map is still responsive.

- I pilot the moving marker back down the red line towards home.

- Then I lose *all* controller connection with the drone.

- I would normally *expect* automatic reconnection with the controller midflight as it flies back closer to the controller and out of the area that had interference, but in this case it doesn't happen, even when the drone is right above the RTH location.

- The drone eventually returns to home above me and comes down to hover.

- Despite hovering literally inches from the controller, the controller still cannot reconnect to the drone.

- Rebooting the controller doesn't do anything.

- Restarting the DJI Fly App doesn't do anything.

- The drone eventually hovers until the battery is dead and lands / drops if it hits something on the way down.

- I can then immediately put in a fresh battery and the drone will connect normally with the remote on the next startup like nothing happens.

Is anyone aware of any jammers that can cause the drone to do something like this, where it 1) forces a disconnect with the controller and 2) prevents it from reconnecting while the drone is still in flight, regardless of how far away it is from the controller?

I *think* the only four times this has happened was in an area with possible people nearby (even rural areas with empty fields will have houses somewhere).

Last edited:
*** Moved to correct location ***

I would begin by changing the cable you're using from the remote to your mobile device

Reactions: vindibona1
Are you flying in the same area when this occurs to be able to point to a source of signal interference (or intentional jamming, which seems unlikely)? It's hard to explain what you're describing. Limited range of the Mini 3 pro, relative to other DJI drones is documented. I believe the cause of general loss of signal at closer ranges is due to DJI chopping off the front legs of the Mini 3 Pro where the antennas were placed on earlier models... and subsequently now back on the non-pro Mini 3 version. [But DJI will never tell us why they changed it back.- But we know.]

Could it be that somehow mid-flight the controller got "un-paired"? Perhaps "re-pairing" the drone and controller might keep the problem from happening again? Perhaps you want to reach out to DJI with the flight data. You might have a bad controller. And if you do, it needs to be fixed before the warranty runs out.

...any jammers that can cause the drone to do something like this...
That's highly unlikely... it's rather as in all other threads describing the similar behavior, firmware, hardware and/or app problems. Contact DJI about this instead...

*** Moved to correct location ***

I would begin by changing the cable you're using from the remote to your mobile device
The controller is disconnected from the drone as the drone does not respond at all to any controller commands. The controller itself has no message saying it is disconnected from the phone.

Cable is also close to new.

This is not a controller-phone issue.

Are you flying in the same area when this occurs to be able to point to a source of signal interference (or intentional jamming, which seems unlikely)? It's hard to explain what you're describing. Limited range of the Mini 3 pro, relative to other DJI drones is documented. I believe the cause of general loss of signal at closer ranges is due to DJI chopping off the front legs of the Mini 3 Pro where the antennas were placed on earlier models... and subsequently now back on the non-pro Mini 3 version. [But DJI will never tell us why they changed it back.- But we know.]

Could it be that somehow mid-flight the controller got "un-paired"? Perhaps "re-pairing" the drone and controller might keep the problem from happening again? Perhaps you want to reach out to DJI with the flight data. You might have a bad controller. And if you do, it needs to be fixed before the warranty runs out.
As I'm constantly traveling, this is happening in a different spot each time.

And like I said, it has happened on both the Air 2 and the Mini 3 Pro.

I'll do a re-pairing, but I doubt this is the issue as turning the drone off and back on again makes it connect to the controller just fine.

As I'm constantly traveling, this is happening in a different spot each time.

And like I said, it has happened on both the Air 2 and the Mini 3 Pro.

I'll do a re-pairing, but I doubt this is the issue as turning the drone off and back on again makes it connect to the controller just fine.
You might need DJI's help with this one. Is there a reason you didn't get the DJI RC controller with the Mini 3?

Anything unusual in the flight logs?

Una sugerencia, me ha sucedido algo similar y en las opciones tengo regulado regreso a casa en perdida de conexión, resultó que un movimiento accidental desconectó el cable entre el control y el dron. O como señala otra opinión puede ser un cable defectuoso. Buen día.
*** Movido a la ubicación correcta ***

Empezaría por cambiar el cable que estás usando del mando a tu dispositivo móvil

Reactions: GFields
Una sugerencia, me ha sucedido algo similar y en las opciones tengo regulado regreso a casa en perdida de conexión, resultó que un movimiento accidental desconectó el cable entre el control y el dron. O como señala otra opinión puede ser un cable defectuoso. Buen día.
Translation

A suggestion, something similar has happened to me and in the options, I have regulated return home in loss of connection, it turned out that an accidental movement disconnected the cable between the control and the drone. Or as another opinion points out, it may be a faulty cable. Good day.

A detached USB cable between the mobile device & the controller...

1. Will not cause a disconnect between the drone & controller.

2. Will not let the map view & telemetry in the app to continue to be updated.

This was something totally different...

I had the same thing happen to me a few months ago with a Mini 3 Pro, it was only about 90mtrs away and within VLOS. The video froze, but I still had full control, so I started flying back towards me. Around 70mtrs away, it disconnected from the RC-N1, and I now had no control. I tried powering the RC-N1 off/on to see if it would reconnect, but no such luck.
RTH then kicked in, and it came back home, but just hovered and wouldn't land, so I grabbed it by hand and flipped it over to stop the motors.

At that time I was testing a beta version firmware, and a beta version of the DJI Fly app, so I just put it down to that..
It only done it that one time, and has never done it again.

Last edited:
Its a software a bug a few of us have experienced.
Sudden loss of connection (despite a strong signal) and unable to reconnect until physically power cycling the drone on the ground.

Its not cabling, its not an actual signal issue. Its software (which is why it only resolves with a power on/off of the drone to reinitiate pairing).

What I'm about to describe has happened twice on a Mavic Air 2 and twice on a Mini 3 Pro using the RC-N1 remote and the latest firmware and software at the time. This is out of hundreds of flights but it only takes one unlucky scenario to potentially destroy the drone.

- I fly the drone out. It's maybe only 500m or so away. Medium connection strength.

- Suddenly I lose the video feed, but the moving marker on the scrolling map is still responsive.

- I pilot the moving marker back down the red line towards home.

- Then I lose *all* controller connection with the drone.

- I would normally *expect* automatic reconnection with the controller midflight as it flies back closer to the controller and out of the area that had interference, but in this case it doesn't happen, even when the drone is right above the RTH location.

- The drone eventually returns to home above me and comes down to hover.

- Despite hovering literally inches from the controller, the controller still cannot reconnect to the drone.

- Rebooting the controller doesn't do anything.

- Restarting the DJI Fly App doesn't do anything.

- The drone eventually hovers until the battery is dead and lands / drops if it hits something on the way down.

- I can then immediately put in a fresh battery and the drone will connect normally with the remote on the next startup like nothing happens.

Is anyone aware of any jammers that can cause the drone to do something like this, where it 1) forces a disconnect with the controller and 2) prevents it from reconnecting while the drone is still in flight, regardless of how far away it is from the controller?

I *think* the only four times this has happened was in an area with possible people nearby (even rural areas with empty fields will have houses somewhere).
Most likely raspberry...

• Haha
Reactions: Joe Horn
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka