DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does you iPhone screen dim while runnin DJI app?

KiterTodd

Reactions
After flying for a bit, my iPhone screen will dim making it near impossible to see in sunlight. It is passable in the shade, but still difficult. Does anyone else have this problem?

This is with iPhone battery over 60% and
I have auto dimming turned off (which shouldn't apply anyway in this case).
I also have confirmed that the screen is at max brightness.

I know it is dimmer than it can be, because it starts out much brighter.

Can't figure out what sets the phone in this mode. Don't see any obvious settings.

I thought it may be related to the DJI App, but honestly, it does this other times as well when I'm just trying to take a picture. Thought this might be a known bug someone has dealt with. I have an iPhone7+

Thanks!

iOS devices will "throttle" their brightness based on temperature. Max brightness causes a lot of heat, so they will dim the backlight if it begins to get too hot.
Crap. That is probably it. I was walking around in the sun with a black device. That'll be a pickle to work around...

Reactions: stevenws
Yes, not just in DJI app, iOS dims the screen as soon as the iPhone heats up with max screen brightness. 5 minutes is the max I can get with max brightness with iPhone 8 Plus flying in 25-30°C ambient temperature.

I think the glass back of the new iPhone 8 and X is making the overheating and screen dimming even worse compared to previous iPhones with aluminium back with better heat dissipation.

I'm surprised that not many replies on this topic, probably most are flying in very cold places?

Crap. That is probably it. I was walking around in the sun with a black device. That'll be a pickle to work around...
You might have found the solution by now but Apple placed the auto-darken feature as default, so you have to dive deeper into the settings and disable it. Go to General; Accessibility; Display Accommodations and set it to "off"

You might have found the solution by now but Apple placed the auto-darken feature as default, so you have to dive deeper into the settings and disable it. Go to General; Accessibility; Display Accommodations and set it to "off"
Thanks this just happened to me on a hot day and it freaked me out a bit. Thanks for the info.

Tried this... makes NO Difference unfortunately.

iOS devices will "throttle" their brightness based on temperature. Max brightness causes a lot of heat, so they will dim the backlight if it begins to get too hot.
So glad to solve this mistery. TY TY. But, what the heck is the point of having the brightest setting ??? Ridiculous!! Why would they build a phone that does this??? I can only fly my drone for about 10 minutes at most before my screen dims to a shade that is basically unusable for flying... in or out of shade!!. Another reason (among sooo many) that I do not like Apple Phones!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair