DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dog Ate My Mavic... And First DJI CS Experience

McMavic

Reactions
After crashing indoors and falling off a park bench, the little fella was attacked by a dog that somehow only affected the gimbal.

Had brought the Mavic to a park and waited for a dog walker to pass by as one of her dogs was going nuts over the Mavic, even at 100m up.

Good 10mins had passed and was getting an emergency landing warning due to critically low battery so started to land. This was right beside the water along a tree lined park so had to slowly manoeuvre down.

Just about to land when all of a sudden one of the dog walkers' big black dogs bolts out of the bushes, snaps at Mavic, Mavic drops and bounces towards the water but throttle up and it thankfully doesn't fall in. Dog snaps at Mavic again and a third time but somehow it manages to stay up but gimbal is literally hanging off it and somehow is still showing picture.

Owner gets control of dog and the dog is bleeding from the mouth but still trying to attack the Mavic :rolleyes: Unfortunately stopped recording before the attack so missed out on what would have been excellent footage!

Inform DJI on Monday and they respond quickly and have a quote of Au$177 to fix it by Wed ( not under Care Refresh). Receive drone back by Friday. Very impresseda after reading about their infamous poor CS.

Notice it's missing all props and it's not in the case I sent it but a new box... turns out they sent back a different (very new looking) drone as it has a different serial number but it also has a free battery :D

I know some others have experienced a drone swap when they sent theirs in for repair but are they actually new ones they're sending out or just other ones that have been repaired and ready to go? Does it make any difference?

Last edited:
Reactions: ciropizzutilo
Is the dog owner going to pay for damages.
Dog owner no but dog walker said she'd only go half because 'shared responsibility' until I pointed out it's a leash only park so full responsibility was on her. She didn't realize so happy to pay in full.

I'm just incredibly happy it didn't fall into the water, was only inches away!

Reactions: Indianapolis
Inform DJI on Monday and they respond quickly and have a quote of Au$177 to fix it by Wed. Receive drone back by Friday. Very impresseda after reading about their infamous poor CS.

Are you sure about this timeline and are you sure it was with DJI? Informed them on Monday, quote 2 days later, then you got it back on Friday? Sent it Monday got it back repaired on Friday? Was this a local Aus repair shop?

I was lucky that I didn't have a similar situation, I was flying at a friends house and as soon as I powered up their bull dog took a lunge at the Mavic, I was able to throttle up and get high enough to avoid capture but I can say I've never seen a bull dog jump as high as this one did... I'm coming to the conclusion that it's a 50/50 shot that the dog will run or attack once the motors start up, we need to have a pre-flight plan to avoid hurting the dog and losing the drone.

Are you sure about this timeline and are you sure it was with DJI? Informed them on Monday, quote 2 days later, then you got it back on Friday? Sent it Monday got it back repaired on Friday? Was this a local Aus repair shop?

Pretty sure. Emailed '[email protected]' about it and sent it to DJI Technology Australia P/L, 12/125 highbury road, Burwood VIC 3125. Few others on DJI forum have had similar turnaround time too with the Melb service center.

Reactions: SeaComms
You are in a very lucky continent. Turnaround times in the USA run 4-6 weeks if you are on the east coast. After looking at some posts, looks like Burwood has a checkered reputation, some get them back very quickly, others not so lucky.

You are in a very lucky continent. Turnaround times in the USA run 4-6 weeks if you are on the east coast. After looking at some posts, looks like Burwood has a checkered reputation, some get them back very quickly, others not so lucky.
That's what I was expecting, at least 4 weeks. So used it as a good excuse to buy an Inspire :D

Looks like it isn't a new one as there was a 16GB SD card in it. Anybody recognize this as their backgarden?!

Random.jpeg

I have found DJIs Australian repair centre in Burwood, Melbourne to be excellent. On several occasions have had turn around in under 1 week.

Check the Exif of the original photo on the SD. You can probably ascertain the exact image location from it. Also the inbuilt SD may contain old DAT files revealing flights if hooked up to DJI Assist, Less likely though.

Anyone hazard a guess at the image locale. Renovated cottage, near the beach (surfboard, skateboard). Not too hot (firewood). Not too cold, sash windows wide open. South coast NSW or SYD perhaps..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada