DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DONT Assume all is good

YVRGUY

Reactions
Recently updated my new Mini 2 firmware 1.04.000 then went outside for a flight check. Once paired it took many minutes to grab enough satellites to set a RTH point. Once enabled I hovered at 6’ and observed it wandering off, going forward and backwards sporadically…NOT holding a steady pattern like my previous TWO Mini 2’s. Did I get a lemon 🍋??? Anyway, this is why we do flight checks.

As I mentioned, I owned two Mini 2’s previously. I sold them to purchase an Air2S. The Air 2S is my go to drone…with the Mini 2 as a great backup So, I’m familiar with Mini 2 flying characteristics…rock steady. I have performed many firmware updates with no real problems until I acquired my third Mini 2. I assumed that after the installation all would be even better…NOT.

Like a child opening a gift in haste I forgot to read the manual and assembly instructions. I have always done calibrations to all the components after an upgrade…but, not this time.

Back to the lab where I calibrated every component possible. Back outside…VOILA…the satellites acquired within a minute, the Mini 2 hovered steady as a rock…with mild winds present, RTH was super accurate, handling superb.

Lesson learnt so late in flying drones. When I hear of drones flying off for unknown reasons (fly always) I feel some of us may not doing a full flight test. So, upgrade, reset the world, perform a flight test…if alls 100%…safe flying. I could have easily flown up and away and I mean away. 👍

To be honest when I have done an upgrade ( a rare thing) I have never done a recalibration EXCEPT for the controller.
By any chance was your test flight flown with out a reboot between the upgrade and test flight?

To be honest when I have done an upgrade ( a rare thing) I have never done a recalibration EXCEPT for the controller.
By any chance was your test flight flown with out a reboot between the upgrade and test flight?
Good day Y P. The answer is yes, a reboot was performed. I also reset my RTH altitude, ceiling altitude, and distance. RC was recalibrated, gimbal recalibrated, rechecked camera and carried on.

What I did NOT recalibrate was the compass which I have only done when flying in remote areas other than home base. My guess is that was the culprit… maybe 🤔. Like I mentioned during the second flight test I could not believe the night and day difference…everything was perfectly spot on.

Again, I could have taken the Mini 2 up and away on the first flight test, but, if you witnessed what I witnessed…it would have been a gamble as to a safe return or a “See ya later…I’m outa here forever” moment.

A few days after my experience I did come across a YouTube video where the pilot expressed the same in regards to upgrades…recalibrate everything.

So, when every Mavic Pilot (all of us) scratch our heads and wonder what was involved in the latest firmware upgrade that are on most occasion vague? Just recalibrate the “world”

Cheers

Like you YVRGUY I had some issues after the upgrade to the latest firmware including a loss of single, drifting and a poor hover. I rest my RC and re-calibrated everything including the gimbal, reset the RC to my preferences and the results were just like you described, all of the problems including the single drop at a distance went away.

Good day Y P. The answer is yes, a reboot was performed. I also reset my RTH altitude, ceiling altitude, and distance. RC was recalibrated, gimbal recalibrated, rechecked camera and carried on.

What I did NOT recalibrate was the compass which I have only done when flying in remote areas other than home base. My guess is that was the culprit… maybe 🤔. Like I mentioned during the second flight test I could not believe the night and day difference…everything was perfectly spot on.

Again, I could have taken the Mini 2 up and away on the first flight test, but, if you witnessed what I witnessed…it would have been a gamble as to a safe return or a “See ya later…I’m outa here forever” moment.

A few days after my experience I did come across a YouTube video where the pilot expressed the same in regards to upgrades…recalibrate everything.

So, when every Mavic Pilot (all of us) scratch our heads and wonder what was involved in the latest firmware upgrade that are on most occasion vague? Just recalibrate the “world”

Cheers
I currently have three Mini-2s, getting my first one in early June 2021. They are great little birds!

I never do any re-calibrations unless Ms Fly tells me that I need to.

I did have an update failure once, on just one of the Mini-2s, which caused the Failure To Climb malfunction. But the update process did seem "rougher" than previous updates that I'd done.

After a wild ride through the trees, I got the bird home safely. Now, unless an update is quick and seamless, I always reboot all the components...AC, RC, phone...before taking off. I haven't seen a problem since.

Keep the propellers up! Unless you're flying an FPV...

:)

TCS

Like you YVRGUY I had some issues after the upgrade to the latest firmware including a loss of single, drifting and a poor hover. I rest my RC and re-calibrated everything including the gimbal, reset the RC to my preferences and the results were just like you described, all of the problems including the single drop at a distance went away.
That’s good to hear…so I wasn’t dreaming after all. I have done many DJI Fly upgrades, but, this one affected the drone’s flight in a scary way. A few times I had no real control 😵‍💫 and being a new, right out of the box Mavic 2 I felt it must be a lemon 🍋
Cheers

I currently have three Mini-2s, getting my first one in early June 2021. They are great little birds!

I never do any re-calibrations unless Ms Fly tells me that I need to.

I did have an update failure once, on just one of the Mini-2s, which caused the Failure To Climb malfunction. But the update process did seem "rougher" than previous updates that I'd done.

After a wild ride through the trees, I got the bird home safely. Now, unless an update is quick and seamless, I always reboot all the components...AC, RC, phone...before taking off. I haven't seen a problem since.

Keep the propellers up! Unless you're flying an FPV...

:)

TCS
Glad you made it out of the forest in one piece. Ya, I think if we all become neurotic ’resetters’ we’ll hear less complaints regarding upgrades. I’m not defending DJI regarding the sometimes, very vague descriptions of what they did in regards to say, safety issues. I’m sure if they wanted to it could be volumes…take your pick.
Cheers

observed it wandering off, going forward and backwards sporadically…NOT holding a steady pattern like my previous TWO Mini 2’s. Did I get a lemon 🍋???
It could have been completely normal.
How much was it wandering?
Back to the lab where I calibrated every component possible. Back outside…VOILA…the satellites acquired within a minute, the Mini 2 hovered steady as a rock…with mild winds present, RTH was super accurate, handling superb
Of course the GPS acquisition was faster .. that's the difference between a cold start and warm start with GPS.
It's unlikely that recalibrating things made any difference.
If there really was something that needed recalibration, you would have been notified through the app.

Reactions: Fixit
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost