DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Don't do what I did!

ff22

Reactions
Finally decided to take my Mini on an adventure outside of my very confined back yard.

Packed everything into the FlyMore case. Remove prop guards so that it would fit. Put on silicone prop holders. Charged all batteries overnight including ipad mini, controller and drone batteries. Got my landing pad folded. Put everything into a small backpack. Drove to the park and walked 45 minutes to me chosen launch site.

Hooked everything up and powered it all up. I panicked as I thought when re-initializing the other day the Fly app was gone. Found the DJI Fly app. "CONNECT" the drone. I did. I checked and powered off and on each device again and again. Actually, got the engines going using the sticks. But it still would not connect. Powered it all off/on again.

DARN: The cable was at home!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yup, forgot to pack it. Actually, forgot to even think about it. Maybe used to the Smart Controller or that it was 6am.

Disappointingly I repacked everything, finished my loop walk and headed home. It is a good thing I'm old since it is impossible to kick myself.

Now a question - I guess I could have flown the drone without the iPad and any view. But could I have fired up the camera and taken some shots? Pictures but what about VIDEO. Can those be triggered with just the Controller?

Thanks for listening. And, yes, I know folks have their Prep Sheets to make sure that they have everything.

Till the next time...

How annoying!? At least you're unlikely to make that mistake again?!

You can indeed take photos and videos with just the controller and no mobile device connected. You're obviously shooting blind so need to guess what gimbal angle will work best and chance your luck. I leave the cable plugged in to the controller and pack it away like that - no chance of forgetting it then. I only unplug it for charging the controller, and then I leave the cable hooked under the folded away phone holders. Not sure if your setup would work for that or not? I just clip my phone directly into the controller so can use the standard supplied short cable.

...and there's why I have a spare cable in the zipper pocket of the bag, with some other sundries. Even if I got to a location and the iPad was dead, I could use my phone instead. If the cable's damaged, I have a spare, too. I carry spares for a *lot* of things.

When you're out chasing lightning with a camera, you will inevitably close the car door on the shutter release cable at least once in any given season, so I buy them in five-packs from DealExtreme. They're cheap cables, but as long as they will lock the shutter release they will suffice for my purposes. At $3 each or $15 for the five-pack, those are pretty much disposable. At $27 each for the Nikon-branded equivalent, they are overpriced.

Of course, we won't go into the UV flashlight (for scorpions - they get into the camera bag if they get the chance!) or the small first aid kit that includes EMT shears, forceps, and a steel rat-tail comb, for the cholla spines!

I tend to carry a lot more gear than most people. But every time I *don't* take something, it's the one thing I need that trip.

...and there's why I have a spare cable in the zipper pocket of the bag, with some other sundries. Even if I got to a location and the iPad was dead, I could use my phone instead. If the cable's damaged, I have a spare, too. I carry spares for a *lot* of things.

When you're out chasing lightning with a camera, you will inevitably close the car door on the shutter release cable at least once in any given season, so I buy them in five-packs from DealExtreme. They're cheap cables, but as long as they will lock the shutter release they will suffice for my purposes. At $3 each or $15 for the five-pack, those are pretty much disposable. At $27 each for the Nikon-branded equivalent, they are overpriced.

Of course, we won't go into the UV flashlight (for scorpions - they get into the camera bag if they get the chance!) or the small first aid kit that includes EMT shears, forceps, and a steel rat-tail comb, for the cholla spines!

I tend to carry a lot more gear than most people. But every time I *don't* take something, it's the one thing I need that trip.
Thanks for the advice and LAUGH. I know about the cholla spines as my parents lived in Tucson and I'd hike around there. I did not encounter scorpions there but have in other Arizona/Utah hiking trips.

Good point about having the Android phone cable along as well just in case the ipad goes down.

Reactions: Mike301
How annoying!? At least you're unlikely to make that mistake again?!

You can indeed take photos and videos with just the controller and no mobile device connected. You're obviously shooting blind so need to guess what gimbal angle will work best and chance your luck. I leave the cable plugged in to the controller and pack it away like that - no chance of forgetting it then. I only unplug it for charging the controller, and then I leave the cable hooked under the folded away phone holders. Not sure if your setup would work for that or not? I just clip my phone directly into the controller so can use the standard supplied short cable.
Sounds like a sound plan (g)

I'm new to the iPad and apple so adding cables for a few things. Darn thing won't let me just add my music - oh, no, you need Itunes which keeps giving me a "reinitialize everything" message and won't connect to my various Win10 devices.

Thanks for the advice and LAUGH. I know about the cholla spines as my parents lived in Tucson and I'd hike around there.

Not me, but I do not envy this poor soul. This is why I tell people to *never* back up in the desert. You need to move that direction, you turn to face that direction and walk. DO NOT BACK UP. This golfer was trying to line up his shot in the rough.

It did not end well.

golfer-cactus.jpg

@iaincaradoc nailed it. My experience from years back as a professional wedding photographer was ALWAYS bring spares of whatever might be loose that you might forget at home... and develop a routine that prevents you from screwing up from some tiny over-sight. Keep stuff connected that can be connected. Like the OP, we all get stupid and forget something, usually forgetting the one simple little thing that can disrupt a whole venture or project. Perhaps you might not forget the connector cable but might damage it somehow? Perhaps you'll forget that you left the micro SD in your computer because your kid threw up on the sofa and disrupted your flow as you were packing? Did you bring spare propellers and a screw driver? You know how that goes.

Not me, but I do not envy this poor soul. This is why I tell people to *never* back up in the desert. You need to move that direction, you turn to face that direction and walk. DO NOT BACK UP. This golfer was trying to line up his shot in the rough.

It did not end well.

View attachment 108402
Oh, my!!!! I recall my first real mt bike ride was down in Tucson. The guy I went with said you are not having fun unless you bleed. Somehow I managed to slam my little toe into some cactus. A one inch thingie penetrated the running shoe and I bled. FUN!

Reactions: Lionfish
@iaincaradoc nailed it. My experience from years back as a professional wedding photographer was ALWAYS bring spares of whatever might be loose that you might forget at home... and develop a routine that prevents you from screwing up from some tiny over-sight. Keep stuff connected that can be connected. Like the OP, we all get stupid and forget something, usually forgetting the one simple little thing that can disrupt a whole venture or project. Perhaps you might not forget the connector cable but might damage it somehow? Perhaps you'll forget that you left the micro SD in your computer because your kid threw up on the sofa and disrupted your flow as you were packing? Did you bring spare propellers and a screw driver? You know how that goes.
I do remember the time, many years ago, NOT me. We were doing cross-country skiing at Lake Geneva, WI. We all show up and one guy forgot his boots!!! He only lived 10 miles away and got them. Next day he was do proud - he had his boots BUT he forgot his poles! We did not let him live that down.

Well, tried out my new cable in the backyard. It appears to have worked. I was transferring a video.

IMG_20200720_072258-.jpg

I do remember the time, many years ago, NOT me. We were doing cross-country skiing at Lake Geneva, WI. We all show up and one guy forgot his boots!!! He only lived 10 miles away and got them. Next day he was do proud - he had his boots BUT he forgot his poles! We did not let him live that down.

Well, tried out my new cable in the backyard. It appears to have worked. I was transferring a video.

View attachment 108440
You reminded me of one more thing... ALWAYS PACK AND LOAD YOUR OWN GEAR. Never depend on anyone else. Since you know Lake Geneva, I used to teach skiing at Wilmot Mt and there was a husband/wife instructor duo. She thought he loaded her boots in the car and he thought she took her own boots... and you know the rest.

Finally decided to take my Mini on an adventure outside of my very confined back yard.

Packed everything into the FlyMore case. Remove prop guards so that it would fit. Put on silicone prop holders. Charged all batteries overnight including ipad mini, controller and drone batteries. Got my landing pad folded. Put everything into a small backpack. Drove to the park and walked 45 minutes to me chosen launch site.

Hooked everything up and powered it all up. I panicked as I thought when re-initializing the other day the Fly app was gone. Found the DJI Fly app. "CONNECT" the drone. I did. I checked and powered off and on each device again and again. Actually, got the engines going using the sticks. But it still would not connect. Powered it all off/on again.

DARN: The cable was at home!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yup, forgot to pack it. Actually, forgot to even think about it. Maybe used to the Smart Controller or that it was 6am.

Disappointingly I repacked everything, finished my loop walk and headed home. It is a good thing I'm old since it is impossible to kick myself.

Now a question - I guess I could have flown the drone without the iPad and any view. But could I have fired up the camera and taken some shots? Pictures but what about VIDEO. Can those be triggered with just the Controller?

Thanks for listening. And, yes, I know folks have their Prep Sheets to make sure that they have everything.

Till the next time...
with the questions your asking sound like your not ready to fly it yet

Spare cables. Keep them in your vehicle along with the landing pad, folding chairs etc.

Been there done that..but I think even worse is to have everything in order and then realize that you never started the video..
by the way..I've never seen as many Cholla cactus as they have in the Tucson area but we have them here as well...They catch the light in a spectacular fashion..and of course catch anything else that comes anywhere near.

I think even worse is to have everything in order and then realize that you never started the video..
I've done that far too often. On the same trip to Vancouver Island. I hiked to a spectacular waterfall, down in a deep gorge, climbing over fallen trees, wading through the river. Huge moss-covered trees, looked like a scene out of Jurassic Park. Because of the steep sides of the deep gorge there was no GPS reception, so I had to fly the whole thing in Atti mode fighting the wind currents and spray coming off the waterfall, careful not to tangle in the dripping moss hanging from the trees.. It was so awesome! Then I nearly gave myself a heart attack climbing back out of the gorge, sweat pouring in my eyes. I rewarded myself with a stop at Dairy Queen and while spooning down my strawberry sundae it struck me. Did I remember to press record when I took off...

Nope. D'oh! :oops:

It did not end well.

View attachment 108402

Cholla Spines??!!! Yikes!!!

Reactions: Lionfish
My main worry is the memory card. I have the fly more combo so in the case I have the little box of spares which came with it stowed under the charger, with a spare card in there. ND filters and the controller cable go under the controller. And a USB charge cable is held in a loop of tape on the lid. More than once I've thought I've lost the gimbal cover or the SD card adapter.

I have the EMT shears, first aid kit, and diving torch (flash light) in the car, and they go into my bag when needed. Along with invisibility cloak (hi viz jacket - no-one takes any notice of you if you're wearing one) and 101 other bits (tape, and stiff wire being very useful). After my recent experience with getting the drone back from high up, I may leave the telescopic ladder in the car full time :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada