DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Don't forget to calibrate controller...or else this could happen!

dsd317

Reactions
BTW...this is not me or my video: (If this has already been posted, please delete my post)

The operator admitted he hadn't calibrated the controller (or read the manual, but that's not the point!). Are you saying that the drone should have realised that controller calibration was the problem and should have issued a self diagnostic warning message? Would that also be the same for any of the incorrect calibration issues that might occur if he hadn't done a successful IMU calibration? I'm a complete novice and just want to learn more, over and above reading the manual and watching trusted tutorials.

The operator admitted he hadn't calibrated the controller (or read the manual, but that's not the point!). Are you saying that the drone should have realised that controller calibration was the problem and should have issued a self diagnostic warning message? Would that also be the same for any of the incorrect calibration issues that might occur if he hadn't done a successful IMU calibration? I'm a complete novice and just want to learn more, over and above reading the manual and watching trusted tutorials.

The only mention of doing a stick calibration in the manual is when you get a stick error. The manual says to do a compass calibration only when prompted by the app or when you get a warning from status indicator lights. The manual doesn't mention performing an IMU calibration but they did release a tutorial on how to do it. The video doesn't say when you should do this calibration though. DJI should make it very clear which calibrations should be performed prior to your first flight and when calibrations should be performed after that. Regardless of that, the expectation for DJI should be that a bad calibration will result in a warning before flight rather than a loss of control and/or erratic flight after the drone is in the air.

This was pilot error for not calibrating the controller. Did you watch the video?
Good grief, how long is the list of things we need to calibrate now? I don't even have to do this for my finicky RC helis. This myth of "calibrate everything and sacrifice your first born while doing 6 jumping jacks" needs to die. If DJI expects us to do an RC calibration, they need to clearly state it, not blame it on user error.

For the record, my mavic works fine and I haven't calibrated anything other than the compass once.

Last edited:
The only mention of doing a stick calibration in the manual is when you get a stick error. The manual says to do a compass calibration only when prompted by the app or when you get a warning from status indicator lights. The manual doesn't mention performing an IMU calibration but they did release a tutorial on how to do it. The video doesn't say when you should do this calibration though. DJI should make it very clear which calibrations should be performed prior to your first flight and when calibrations should be performed after that. Regardless of that, the expectation for DJI should be that a bad calibration will result in a warning before flight rather than a loss of control and/or erratic flight after the drone is in the air.
Not flown anything R/C before have you? (Rhetorical)

You cannot expect these complex multirotors to wipe your backside for you - there is only so much idiot gene filtering a manufacturer can do.
People need to take some responsibility and take time to understand what they are using rather than whine "Oh it should have told me I'd run out of toilet paper"

Good grief, how long is the list of things we need to calibrate now? I don't even have to do this for my finicky RC helis. This myth of "calibrate everything and sacrifice your first born while doing 6 jumping jacks" needs to die. If DJI expects us to do an RC calibration, they need to clearly state it, not blame it on user error.

For the record, my mavic works fine and I haven't calibrated anything other than the compass once.

I don't think DJI expects you to have to calibrate all of the time and your experience with the Mavic is evidence of that. I'm sure that any current glitches, will be cleared up by DJI, if they already haven't been. I expect that most everyone's Mavic will be as trouble free as the Phantom 4 was after a couple of months on the market. If people like "The Editor" get some kind of thrill out of constantly calibrating and trouble-shooting their drones, they probably shouldn't be buying a DJI product. They'll be a lot more entertained by some cheap drone with shoddy engineering and construction and half-baked software.

Ok, as I already stated I'm new to the drone world, but have flown r/c helicopters in the past.
I cannot believe that having spent a great deal of money, why wouldn't you want to calibrate everything? It makes no sense to me that anyone wouldn't want to do everything they could to protect the new asset they've invested in, not to mention issues of personal safety. if the Mavic has the ability to self diagnose calibration issues, it must have a benchmark to make such judgements. I imagine the algorithm logic within the drone must work on past calibration data. The IMU has to be calibrated for the area you live in, at least taking into account northern and southern hemispheres let alone separate continents and countries. That and any outside interference that might have occurred during transportation. Taking the time to calibrate everything before your first flight is exactly what I intend to do, especially after all the reported crashes.

Ok, as I already stated I'm new to the drone world, but have flown r/c helicopters in the past.
I cannot believe that having spent a great deal of money, why wouldn't you want to calibrate everything? It makes no sense to me that anyone wouldn't want to do everything they could to protect the new asset they've invested in, not to mention issues of personal safety. if the Mavic has the ability to self diagnose calibration issues, it must have a benchmark to make such judgements. I imagine the algorithm logic within the drone must work on past calibration data. The IMU has to be calibrated for the area you live in, at least taking into account northern and southern hemispheres let alone separate continents and countries. That and any outside interference that might have occurred during transportation. Taking the time to calibrate everything before your first flight is exactly what I intend to do, especially after all the reported crashes.

Yes, I'll definitely calibrate everything before my first flight too. I think once you know you have good calibrations you shouldn't be calibrating every time you fly or you risk messing up a previously good calibration. The exception to this seems to be the optical sensors where DJI's manual says they require occasional calibration. I'll probably do that every two or three flights

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Rick
As far as I've read, these issues haven't even been confirmed to have been caused by a lack of calibrating the controller. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but these seem more an issue of the hall sensors not correctly refreshing stick position.

Reactions: kmaluo
Yes, but Mavic failures out of the PICs control, or issues that arise from what was not stated in the manual could make DJI liable.
That maybe true, but every time you go fly, you most always bear the responsibility for damages.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929