DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Don't Let Law Enforcement Bully You - NYS Incident

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuvMyTJ

Reactions
This is a neighboring county local to me and I am shocked and appalled at the treatment given to law abiding US citizens by the Wayne County & NY State Troopers. The town of Lyons had given up it's local police force a few years ago. This is a typical tactic of lying to the person to get what they want illegal or not.

Wow, that looks like a lawsuit for sure. Depending upon the complaint concerning what they were doing with the drone may merit a simple stop, just to determine there is no criminal nature. I'm sure the overzealous Trooper had no idea if it was legal or illegal to fly a drone over someone's property. Putting the cuffs on the two other people and arresting them was definitely a civil rights violation. A little common sense goes a long way in Law Enforcement.... geesh. I do know that the driver has to show his license if he is going to be issued a ticket for a violation, but that's it. What about when police helicopters fly over private property a few hundred feet agl? A helicopter at 500 ft. is far more intrusive than a drone at 300 ft. Can't blame the other cops, they were just there for backup. If the people do not file a lawsuit they should at least file a formal internal affair's complaint.

Reactions: coastie_steve
I am not sure if you have any connection to law enforcement by your screen name as I am pro-police, but I also enjoy my rights as a US citizen and do not agree with LEO's overstepping the law. Should I be worried I may be stopped leaving the local park for simply flying my RC aircraft legally? These type of uneducated offices need to be informed if they are going to stop someone for something of this nature. They had no clue about drone laws, they didn't even ask for a part 107 which I assume they would of needed to do this type of flight for a cause, no for hobby purposes.

Reactions: Five-O
Can't blame the other cops, they were just there for backup

Pro police or not wrong is wrong!
What about when police helicopters fly over private property a few hundred feet agl? A helicopter at 500 ft. is far more intrusive than a drone at 300 ft
84ft, intrusive or not is all a drone has to be while flying over homes.

I am not sure if you have any connection to law enforcement by your screen name as I am pro-police, but I also enjoy my rights as a US citizen and do not agree with LEO's overstepping the law. Should I be worried I may be stopped leaving the local park for simply flying my RC aircraft legally? These type of uneducated offices need to be informed if they are going to stop someone for something of this nature. They had no clue about drone laws, they didn't even ask for a part 107 which I assume they would of needed to do this type of flight for a cause, no for hobby purposes.

Yes I am in Law Enforcement, and have been for 29 yrs. I too enjoy my rights as a US citizen, and do not agree with LEO's overstepping the law as well.

Reactions: coastie_steve
UPDATE: saw this today...

From: troopers.sm.h.internal.affairs [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 11:20 AM Subject: RE: Disgraceful Good Morning,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the YouTube video published January 8, 2016. We have received numerous e-mails regarding the video and are looking into the matter to ensure that our Trooper handled the matter professionally and appropriately.

New York State Police Professional Standards Bureau
1220 Washington Avenue Albany, New York

How many cops were there? Of those that were, how many were able to hear/follow what was happening? Did any of them know the rules/law and not speak up? After the incident was over, did any of them make an effort to correct the troopers? Maybe even let their supervisors know?

I know we need cops, but the policing culture is such that when a fellow blue does something like this, the partner or other observing officer stays out of it because of repercussions. I have several immediate family members who range in rank from street patrol to Lieutenant in several different departments. When they speak candidly, they reveal that there is no greater sin than to report a fellow blue. To do so is to be branded as a snitch, or someone who is not a 'team player'. That's what internal affairs (or bureau of professional standards as they're now called) is for, and just ask any shield what they think of those guys.

I am not anti-police. I am, however, pro accountability. If a brother in blue sees a partner beating a handcuffed suspect, he should have no fear to speak out. Unfortunately, that is the quickest path to career suicide. And that harms the entire profession.

In this case, IA has been made aware of the incident. That's good. I just wish it didn't (presumably) take the public to bring it to their attention.

Reactions: Slim.slamma
Play stupid games, get stupid prizes!

What was the stupid game, and was the prize? I think citizens who know their rights and choose to exercise them ought to be commended, not belittled. It is because most citizens buckle in fear of a uniform, that the law enforcement has, as a whole, become more aggressive, more deceptive, and less concerned about honoring their oath to uphold the Constitution.

Reactions: DroningOn
What was the stupid game, and was the prize? I think citizens who know their rights and choose to exercise them ought to be commended, not belittled. It is because most citizens buckle in fear of a uniform, that the law enforcement has, as a whole, become more aggressive, more deceptive, and less concerned about honoring their oath to uphold the Constitution.
^ sounds like you don't read before posting.
Good one!

Reactions: boxsterfahrer
Get an attorney submit a et-all law suit and everyone stop the speculation. No brainer!

As I have previously posted it is going to be near impossible to fly a quad in the future. The amount of units being sold to folks who do know what they are doing and those who don't is staggering. This was predicted 2 years ago and prompted the FAA to get involved to which I believe they have over stepped? I can almost say what the next step is going to be and I will not publish my thought here. If I'm right many here will be selling their units on eBay for much less than they paid for. I have a number of RC fixed wing units and flew them near my home without incident. I now fear flying them as I did before because of what I have viewed here on this video.

One thing I've learnt in life it is cooperating makes things so much smoother and easier for everyone. Whether the driver was within his rights or not, he was asked to show ID and vehicle registration. Seems like a simple request. Not a big deal, or, is it? Maybe things are different in the States.

Would I be upset? I'm not sure, probably not. Would I continually argue with the officer and refuse to show ID? Absolutely not.

I was once stopped while taking long exposures of a water fountain at night. They asked me for ID and registration. Did it upset me? Nope. Why? Because I wasn't doing anything wrong. I was more concerned about explaining the large hunting knife slipped into the low of my back to protect myself from wildlife and bipedals with harmful intentions.

It's an unfortunate situation for everyone involved. I'm hoping this incident will become a lesson for departments across the nation.

UNEDUCATED, UNTRAINED AND UNDER PAID. Then Ya Get The Good Old Boy Treatment "shut up your in a heap of trouble now boy". PERFORMING JUDGE AND JURY ON THE STREETS. Always been the problem. Just Don't Lip Them. It's been proven they can use anything up to and including death on you. Be smart. Take it to court with a good aviation lawyer.

Sent from my SM-G935V using MavicPilots mobile app

I was once stopped while taking long exposures of a water fountain at night. They asked me for ID and registration. Did it upset me? Nope. Why? Because I wasn't doing anything wrong..

Very well written @ACR. And I think many Americans would agree with your perspective. However, I hope you can appreciate that there those among us that value our right to privacy, and right to be free from law enforcement harassment. To those people, at a very fundamental level, being stopped and asked for identification by an agent of the state when no laws have been violated, is akin to having an officer stop by their house to peek around and make sure everything is on the up and up.

All too often, people excuse such behavior with those same words... Or, my favorite, "Why should I care, I have nothing to hide". And on an individual, single-incident case, that may well be an adequate response. But when everyone reacts this way, individual rights errode. Who would have thought just 50 years ago that to board an airplane, 100% of passengers would be physically groped or virtually strip searched - without a warrant, without suspicion of a crime? Our kids are growing accepting of this, so that in another generation, it'll be customary to have the same treatment when going to the mall, or having random police "inspection" patrols, where officers have warrantless, unfettered access to homes and vehicles - all in the name of keeping us (and our officers) safe, of course.

To those who value liberty above all else, to those willing to accept that life has risks, and that it's better to live with those risks than under the perceived security of a police state, such a stop must be challenged as it happens.

In a system where the muscle of the government is able to violate individual rights, trying to rectify them later through litigation is pointless. There are countless examples of officers whose departments have paid out millions in jury verdicts and settlements, multiple times on the same individual, and due to union/contract protections, that individual officer suffers no consequences. The taxpayers of his municipality do, but there is no incentive for the officer to change his ways.

In a perfect world, you are 100% compliant, 100% respectful at an illegal stop. After you're on your way, you report the stop, and corrective action is taken. Unfortunately, for those liberty-minded individuals paying attention, they realize such a world no longer exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98