DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Don't waste your time with CoolPixel for iPhone

Robbyg

Reactions
Coolpixel is a screen recorder for the iOS platform. It was a God send when I found it. I used the trial version which records for 2 minutes and that worked perfectly so I purchased the lifetime version for $15.

Well that was $15 down the drain! After you pass the 2 min mark it keeps recording but the video on my iphone 6 Plus starts to break up and stutter. The longer you record the worst it gets. At the 9 minute marker it starts to freeze for 2-3 seconds at a time. BTW my Iphone 6 Plus is a 64GB dedicated device, no apps other than Coolpixel and DJI Go4 running. Wifi is off and it is in airplane mode.

At first I thought it was going to be a simple fix. I tried lowering the screen capture from 1080@30fps to 20fps and even 15fps and at the same point, roughly 2min 20 seconds the same problem. I tried using 720p at all frame rates, same problem. I lowered the bit rate from 5K down to the lowest setting of 3K and tried all of them again, same result. I then tried to turn off the Mavic HD encoding and that made things a lot worst. So In desperation I tried the 480SD at 15fps and 3K bit rate and at roughly just over 2 minutes the same problem starts up.

At this point I can only conclude that this product is deliberately crippled.

If someone with a iphone 7 plus has had different results I would love to know.

I just made this post so that the rest of you don't flush your money down the toilet like I did.

Now I am hunting again for another screen capture program.
I might have to resort to AirShou. I know it works but I would rather not use something that did not come from the app store. Can anyone confirm that Airshou is not a Trojan? Better yet has anyone found an app on the app store that really works?

Rob

Coolpixel is a screen recorder for the iOS platform. It was a God send when I found it. I used the trial version which records for 2 minutes and that worked perfectly so I purchased the lifetime version for $15.

Well that was $15 down the drain! After you pass the 2 min mark it keeps recording but the video on my iphone 6 Plus starts to break up and stutter. The longer you record the worst it gets. At the 9 minute marker it starts to freeze for 2-3 seconds at a time. BTW my Iphone 6 Plus is a 64GB dedicated device, no apps other than Coolpixel and DJI Go4 running. Wifi is off and it is in airplane mode.

At first I thought it was going to be a simple fix. I tried lowering the screen capture from 1080@30fps to 20fps and even 15fps and at the same point, roughly 2min 20 seconds the same problem. I tried using 720p at all frame rates, same problem. I lowered the bit rate from 5K down to the lowest setting of 3K and tried all of them again, same result. I then tried to turn off the Mavic HD encoding and that made things a lot worst. So In desperation I tried the 480SD at 15fps and 3K bit rate and at roughly just over 2 minutes the same problem starts up.

At this point I can only conclude that this product is deliberately crippled.

If someone with a iphone 7 plus has had different results I would love to know.

I just made this post so that the rest of you don't flush your money down the toilet like I did.

Now I am hunting again for another screen capture program.
I might have to resort to AirShou. I know it works but I would rather not use something that did not come from the app store. Can anyone confirm that Airshou is not a Trojan? Better yet has anyone found an app on the app store that really works?

Rob
Yea... I ordered the Lifetime option and it reverted back to 1 min recording. I think its a scam.

You can log into your Apple ID, go to purchase history and request a refund with a short explanation of the issue. That usually goes through with no questions asked, and with a bit of luck Apple will even trigger a review and/or take down the app if enough people complain and the dev doesn't cooperate.

Yea... I ordered the Lifetime option and it reverted back to 1 min recording. I think its a scam.

You need to have internet connection so it can log back in with the Facebook or twitter account to confirm your subscription. If that is not working then he must have turned off the server and ran with our money.

Rob

I've used coolpixel on and off for the past 3 weeks with no trouble. I just did a test video that lasted 12 minutes with no problems before I stopped it myself. I am using and iPhone 7 plus that is a month and half old.

The one thing that will be interesting to see is what happens with coolpixel. It's my understanding (I could be wrong) that Apple does not allow screen recording apps in the official ios appstore. Currently the app has been removed but from the looks of the developers twitter account(@coolpixelapp) he says a new app should be coming soon. Will be interesting to see if that includes a screen recorder.

Reactions: knownbug
Good to know it works with an iPhone 7 Plus but he wont be catching me twice!
I see no reason why other apps can record the screen with an iPhone 6 plus yet his works fine for 2 minutes and then starts to shutter and breakup. It's just too coincidental that it works just for the length of the trial limitation and then becomes useless. I also think that his sales pitch of pay $15 for a lifetime subscription to be deceptive since I must log onto his account each time I need to use it. What happens when his account is no longer around?

Rob

Good to know it works with an iPhone 7 Plus but he wont be catching me twice!
I see no reason why other apps can record the screen with an iPhone 6 plus yet his works fine for 2 minutes and then starts to shutter and breakup. It's just too coincidental that it works just for the length of the trial limitation and then becomes useless. I also think that his sales pitch of pay $15 for a lifetime subscription to be deceptive since I must log onto his account each time I need to use it. What happens when his account is no longer around?

Rob

I do agree it is pretty sketchy and when I paid the $15 dollars I wondered how well it would actually work. For me I'm fine with paying the $15 as a way to have a back up recording of my flights just incase something does happen.

I did a little more research into screen recording and the Apple appstore and found that they tend to allow screen recording apps that only record screen data within that given app. That is how apps like Litchi and Autopilot (I believe) record within their own app. Apple has a problem with apps that record outside of their main app. This is were you tend to see the "system" screen recording apps removed pretty quickly from the app store. Those apps can still be side loaded which can be risky if they don't come from a trusted vendor. I'm sure it's only time before apple pushes out an update that makes coolpixel unusable though... Down side to the Apple ecosystem I guess...

You can log into your Apple ID, go to purchase history and request a refund with a short explanation of the issue. That usually goes through with no questions asked, and with a bit of luck Apple will even trigger a review and/or take down the app if enough people complain and the dev doesn't cooperate.

This refund function isn't in the USA is it? Must be well-hidden if it is

You have to use iTunes on a computer as far as I know. Log in, go to "My account", and you'll have a "purchase history" link. Showing the details for a particular item you can "report a problem".

Reactions: bwall525
I had been using it with no issues for the last two months. It's great for creating a tutorial video for YouTube or as back up if needed.

However it's now logged me and a ton of users out of our pro accounts and will not let us log back in.

Does anyone know a way to make it so when you click on the Facebook log in you have to actually enter your info again.

I can't recall if just maybe I changed my password to Facebook and it logged me out because of that. I've been hitting them up for tech support but they are not responding to anything.

Is this app dead for everyone now?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun