DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dorian Gray's wristwatch

MavicFT1P

Reactions
Are there any Casio Data-Bank wristwatch Nerds here?

My watch only goes up to year 2029 ?

Ive google the answer, I tried to join a Watch forum and ask, but was
told "my wristwatch was no good here".

Is there a simple explanation for my wristwatch's used by date?

*Article on old Casio watches for filler

Last edited:
Wonder why? Did you contact Casio?

Lol the date goes back to 1984, so I'm guessing the inventor/designer at Casio has moved on.
I could not even guess. It makes no sense. It would not take up more Ram.
Maybe it was a Factory prototype/Reject.

I always thought it was kinda neat, with the whole "It's the year 2029 AD" Skynet
dealy, but with only 10 years to go..I dunno

I would set it to 2029 and see what happens when it ticks over, but I don't want to tempt fate.

Anyway just a random post dealy really. Thought Sar104 or one of the Linux guys would know.

2029 is odd... There's an issue with 32bit Linux where the counter for date that counts seconds from 1970 will rollover to 0, but that's not until 2038, and workarounds are already being put in place. I'd guess Casio went with a smaller counter with a later date in 1984 that will rollover in a similar manner in 2029, at which point your watch will presumably just think it's Jan 1st 1984. Other than that meaning the calendar will be all but useless going forwards, the rest of the watch's functionality should be fine.

Just a hunch, but since 2038-1970 = ~68 years and 2029-1984 = ~35 years I'm guessing Linux uses a 32bit signed counter (~2 billion seconds) and for some reason Casio went with a 30bit counter (~1 billion seconds), but it's equally possible they went with a totally different date/time counter system such as BCD.

Lol the date goes back to 1984, so I'm guessing the inventor/designer at Casio has moved on.
I could not even guess. It makes no sense. It would not take up more Ram.
Maybe it was a Factory prototype/Reject.

I always thought it was kinda neat, with the whole "It's the year 2029 AD" Skynet
dealy, but with only 10 years to go..I dunno

I would set it to 2029 and see what happens when it ticks over, but I don't want to tempt fate.

Anyway just a random post dealy really. Thought Sar104 or one of the Linux guys would know.
DO NOT under any circumstances wear that watch on your wrist when the time is due to change over, you will be whisked off to another dimension never to be heard of again. This is fact, I know because my old Casio watch I had kept in a drawer for years isn't there any more, it just vanished. Where else could it have gone? ?

Reactions: Thomas B
2029 is odd... There's an issue with 32bit Linux where the counter for date that counts seconds from 1970 will rollover to 0, but that's not until 2038, and workarounds are already being put in place. I'd guess Casio went with a smaller counter with a later date in 1984 that will rollover in a similar manner in 2029, at which point your watch will presumably just think it's Jan 1st 1984. Other than that meaning the calendar will be all but useless going forwards, the rest of the watch's functionality should be fine.

Just a hunch, but since 2038-1970 = ~68 years and 2029-1984 = ~35 years I'm guessing Linux uses a 32bit signed counter (~2 billion seconds) and for some reason Casio went with a 30bit counter (~1 billion seconds), but it's equally possible they went with a totally different date/time counter system such as BCD.

It's a puzzlement. it has alarms that can be set for any (days/mth) of the set year (which watch doesnt), if it were any time of the (day/mth/year) that might make sense with the limit.. mathematically n stuff.

DO NOT under any circumstances wear that watch on your wrist when the time is due to change over, you will be whisked off to another dimension never to be heard of again. This is fact, I know because my old Casio watch I had kept in a drawer for years isn't there any more, it just vanished. Where else could it have gone? ?

Is that a Quantum leap Reference? lol
or the post ripoff Sliders

Nerdy Casio/Seiko wristwatches from the 80's are acceptable, as long as you dont use them with the crusty 30 year old plastic band that they came with them.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike