DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Downloading GEO Fencing License to Mavic Air 2 (With Smart Controller & DJI Fly App)

blabel75

Reactions
I have LAANC authorization to fly within a GEO Fenced zone on the Mavic Air 2. I have watched a number of videos and read several articles on how to get the drone authorized to fly prior to my flight. I have used Self Unlocking through DJI to unlock the drone prior to my flight. THe problem is that all of the videos seem to refer to a different App than the DJI Fly app that the Mavic Air 2 uses. All the instructions indicate to go to the Camera View in the App while connected to the drone. Then to go to General Settings the Unlocking License. The problem is that I can't find "General Settings" within the DJI Fly app. Any ideas?

Last edited:
The bane of my existence is the Easter Egg hunt for features in DJI's apps. I looked up the DJI Fly app "complete" users guide... but it wasn't so complete after all because it didn't show where the unlock menu is. From memory, the three dots is their "overflow" menu which takes you to general settings. Unfortunately, to find anything in this app you have to have the controller hooked up and drone and controller turned on.

The bane of my existence is the Easter Egg hunt for features in DJI's apps. I looked up the DJI Fly app "complete" users guide... but it wasn't so complete after all because it didn't show where the unlock menu is. From memory, the three dots is their "overflow" menu which takes you to general settings. Unfortunately, to find anything in this app you have to have the controller hooked up and drone and controller turned on.
Thanks for the reply. In the three dots there are five options; Safety, Control, Camera, Transmission and About.

Ignore that and my intial post, I think I found it now. It looks to be under Safety-->Unlock GEO Zone. Seems so obvious now. But picking through these menus certainly isn't easy and everything seems to look the same.

I have been flying for a few months and scratching my head over this geo stuff. Looking at the app "before you fly" I have an airport in a town 8 miles south. The code for the airport is RHP in Andrews, N.C. and according to the app I am ready to take off with no restrictions. Why is that

I have been flying for a few months and scratching my head over this geo stuff. Looking at the app "before you fly" I have an airport in a town 8 miles south. The code for the airport is RHP in Andrews, N.C. and according to the app I am ready to take off with no restrictions. Why is that
Geo maps so no restrictions for this airport. Even if there was restrictions they generally wouldn’t bo outside of five miles.

You are likely still in class G airspace. So no GEO fencing issues to deal with.

You are likely still in class G airspace. So no GEO fencing issues to deal with.
I was under the impression you were not allowed to fly with in 5 miles at an airport. Makes no sense that there is not some kind of restruction.

I was under the impression you were not allowed to fly with in 5 miles at an airport. Makes no sense that there is not some kind of restruction.
Five miles is an antiquated rule. The regulation is based on airspace and within controlled airspace, the grid for requesting LAANC approval.

Five miles is an antiquated rule. The regulation is based on airspace and within controlled airspace, the grid for requesting LAANC approval.
Ok I can understand that but when I go to "before you fly" and I click on the runway !! Why does it tell me I am cleared for take off.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zzombie