DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Downsizing from Mavic 2 Zoom to Mavic Mini?

hquant

Reactions
I had the Mavic Air, when it came out. Great formfactor but terribly noisy. I sold it for a Mavic 2 Zoom. Much quieter but rather bulky and heavy. It is more on the professional side of things, but I am no professional. I am typically recording in medium settings and not taking that many pictures at all. I try out all the advanced features but I use them very sparsly, so I forget how they work in the meantime. So I am contemplating downsizing to a Mavic Mini. I will be able to carry it around. It will be least subject to regulations and more or less do what I need. What do you guys think and does anybody have input on the noise it makes?

if portability, ease of use, and an acceptable camera are all you need then yes it would be a good choice,it is really a flying capture the moment drone without all the bells and whistles,for me it will never replace my MPP ,but as a fun drone it is just fine and it will complement my MPP on days out filming

The mm will be interesting as to whether my ears will be happy or not.
Have not read any of that information yet.
Anyone have any source for that subject?

Found it.
noise level at the 5 minute mark in this video.

Hquant,
I’m in the same boat as you. Love my zoom but don’t use it to the full extent that it’s made for. I just sold it and bought the mini. I think it’s going to be a better fit for my needs. I’ll let you know how it goes

i think the 249g thing is total marketing BS and I believe it has more to do with changing their strategy up a little starting in 2020 with airsense (ADS-B aircraft detection that they say they'll put on every drone over 249g). if they didn't throw this thing out there, maybe they would alienate incoming new potential customers. if safety is supposedly king, here is a 249g drone that you can get your kid hooked on... then next year he'll want a $3k mavic 3 pro.

in general i wouldn't say it is appropriate to downsize from a mavic 2 to this drone, but you say you've had the air and it was too noisy.... i also had the air and it was too noisy. i also loved the form factor, but battery life and noise killed it for me.
the mavic mini does seem promising. it does seem quieter in the videos i've seen. i also like the cage (which puts it well over 249g).
one of the youtube videos (Kai) shows it taking off a few feet right next to some ducks and the ducks didn't even look over at it.

i believe i need one as a backup for a mavic 2 pro for work i started doing. the still images look good. the video ... i need to actually see. even with vp9 codec, youtube's compression is way too aggressive to be able to tell how good the video quality is imo. anybody find any videos to download straight out of the mavic mini?

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I'm not a professional and only fly for fun. If i did this for a living, I would keep the M2Z and wait for the next latest and greatest to come out.

I Don't take any pictures or video at all on a regular basis.
I'm personally looking for something much smaller than the M2.
The M2 is awesome and i really enjoyed mine, but I think the mini will be a better fit for my recreational needs.

go to toms tech time and he has some uncompressed video you can download.

• Love
Reactions: BobDoLe
I'm not a professional and only fly for fun. If i did this for a living, I would keep the M2Z and wait for the next latest and greatest to come out.

I Don't take any pictures or video at all on a regular basis.
I'm personally looking for something much smaller than the M2.
The M2 is awesome and i really enjoyed mine, but I think the mini will be a better fit for my recreational needs.

go to toms tech time and he has some uncompressed video you can download.
DJI Mavic Mini Footage Download here it is (had to watch the video until he he said the link which isn't listed anywhere).

i'm impressed. before seeing these, i thought the photos were good and the video not so much... now i really like the video capability better than the photo.
specifically, i really do not like the aggressive noise reduction in the photos taken in broad daylight, but if i want a good photo I'm either using the mavic 2 pro or a DSLR anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Khayman
Yes. That’s why, in my case, the zoom was too much for my needs. The point and shoot and occasional video that I will shoot will be just fine with the mini. I like flying the zoom in atti mode. I liked the free flight feeling and the coasting when you get off the throttle.
I’m hoping the mini experience will work out for me.

Maybe I should have kept the zoom until I was satisfied with.the mini. ???

I never find my Air to be noisy. Maybe it’s because I started flying with Phantoms?

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Excellent thread topic!

I just picked up my Mini. I am currently a M2P owner. For the most part, I use my drone for still photography and bought the M2P for it's sensor size. BUT... if this little Mini takes "reasonably" good stills, my M2P will be listed in the classifieds. I do wish RAW files were available on the Mini, but I understand why they're not.

I've been flying the mini past few days since its new and went back to flying the M2 for comparison. No chance in hell I'd trade in a M2 for the Mini. Its fun to fly and all bu the M2 is completely on another league in terms of pretty much everything!
Mini is small but still not really pocket able unless you're want a brick in your pocket, also easy to damage those props unless secured properly, so you'll still need a small bag to carry.

You'll need to assess your own needs as to which is best suited, but for me the M2 isnt going anywhere anytime soon.

i think the 249g thing is total marketing BS and I believe it has more to do with changing their strategy up a little starting in 2020 with airsense (ADS-B aircraft detection that they say they'll put on every drone over 249g). if they didn't throw this thing out there, maybe they would alienate incoming new potential customers. if safety is supposedly king, here is a 249g drone that you can get your kid hooked on... then next year he'll want a $3k mavic 3 pro.

in general i wouldn't say it is appropriate to downsize from a mavic 2 to this drone, but you say you've had the air and it was too noisy.... i also had the air and it was too noisy. i also loved the form factor, but battery life and noise killed it for me.
the mavic mini does seem promising. it does seem quieter in the videos i've seen. i also like the cage (which puts it well over 249g).
one of the youtube videos (Kai) shows it taking off a few feet right next to some ducks and the ducks didn't even look over at it.

i believe i need one as a backup for a mavic 2 pro for work i started doing. the still images look good. the video ... i need to actually see. even with vp9 codec, youtube's compression is way too aggressive to be able to tell how good the video quality is imo. anybody find any videos to download straight out of the mavic mini?

No one should ever tell you thats its ‘inappropriate”, everyone should decide what’s best for them isn’t best for everyone else. Go for it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser