DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DP vs HDMI

mig

Reactions
Ok so I finally made the plunge and bought a computer and monitor for 4k. I am looking forward to being able to video in 4k or even 2.7. 1080 is all my previous pc would handle.
So I hooked it up with the HDMI cable I got no signal. It will however send video with display port cable. I tried the monitor plugged to HDMI from my satellite and it works so therefore seems to be an issue with the video card vs the monitor. Its the Nvidia GTX 1070 8G DDR5.
So I will have to call Dell and figure out why unless some of you have an idea what the issue may be. However I am wondering, is there an advantage to using either Display port or HDMI?

FYI...Not sure which monitor you have, but some may not automatically recognize HDMI input, thus you'll have to change the connection type within the display setting on the monitor

FYI...Not sure which monitor you have, but some may not automatically recognize HDMI input, thus you'll have to change the connection type within the display setting on the monitor
Yes I did try changing the input to HDMI 1, and it does work via HDMI when I hook it to my shaw satellite receiver. . its an ASUS 4k monitor

Yes I did try changing the input to HDMI 1, and it does work via HDMI when I hook it to my shaw satellite receiver. . its an ASUS 4k monitor
Ok, next question is how many ports are on the video card? Some VC support dual monitor with primary monitor using an adapter

Ok, next question is how many ports are on the video card? Some VC support dual monitor with primary monitor using an adapter
Im not at home at the moment I will check later, but I know it just has one hdmi port for sure, and one DP port, and DVI port maybe something else also.

Im not at home at the moment I will check later, but I know it just has one hdmi port for sure, and one DP port, and DVI port maybe something else also.
ok brain fart.. I came home and relooked at the back.. yes there is another HDMI port on the 'actual video card'.. I feel dumb :( ... its working now.....
The video card actually has 1 HDMI, 3 Display ports, and one DVI port. The port I had tried before is on a different card... must be the mother board, which has HDMI, DP, usb, sound, mike, Ethernet etc... which brings back the question I suppose, why does the HDMI port not work on the mother board, but the DP does work on the mother board

That depends on many things like what processor type you have, what motherboard chipset you have, what the BIOS configuration is...

Anyway it doesn't matter, since when you have an actual video card you never want to use the integrated graphics anymore anyway.
Most prebuilt PCs that come with a graphics card installed actually have plugs in the motherboard display connectors with a big "don't use" tag since that's a common source of "why do I have crappy performance even when I've got a super graphics card?!" support calls - well, cause you're not using it.

Reactions: mig
Update, I'm still having issues with my display being that when I connect the monitor via HDMI from my NVidia video card and both when I first boot up or try to wake the computer from sleep it doesn't send a signal to the monitor right away. I haven't had any consistent fix for this. Sometimes some of this works and other times not, but eventually it does wake up. Just simply waiting though does not work. Wiggling the mouse over and over, changing the input on the monitor from HDMI 1 to another input and back again, power off the monitor and back on, unplug the HDMI and plug back in, hitting enter key over and over. All of the above has worked at times and sometimes each of them hasn't worked... I was on the phone with Dell tech support for 1.5 hours and he was remotely in my pc and he did some changes in the Bios and the harddrive sleep setting etc but still the same issue. Once he mentioned a compatability issue with the Asus monitor and the NVidia graphics card but then at the end he said that wasn't the issue. It seems to be ok when I connect the Display port from both the NVidia card or the onboard integrated video card, but the HDMI seems to be the issue. Yes maybe I could just run the display port cable, however I spent close to $2500 on this and I want to deal with this now while still under warranty. I guess I need to figure out if its a PC issue or is it an issue with the monitor? PC was from Dell and monitor was from best buy.

DisplayPort IS what you want to use in priority if you have both anyway.
HDMI can indeed be finicky on PC display setups becasue there are several modes that each side may or may not support or may need specific setup to enable in the monitor in order to use some display resolutions and color modes.

Try several HDMI sources connected to your monitor, and your PC's HDMI output on a few different monitors/TVs if you really want to get down to it.

DisplayPort IS what you want to use in priority if you have both anyway.
HDMI can indeed be finicky on PC display setups becasue there are several modes that each side may or may not support or may need specific setup to enable in the monitor in order to use some display resolutions and color modes.

Try several HDMI sources connected to your monitor, and your PC's HDMI output on a few different monitors/TVs if you really want to get down to it.

If I connect my PC to my tv via HDMI it seems to be fine, as well as when I connect my monitor to my shaw satellite via HDMI it seems to be fine. If Display port is a preferred method of connection then by all means maybe I can just go with that. Just frustrating that things don't work like there suppose too. Maybe I should've went with the Dell monitor, the ASUS was on sale for boxing day at best buy so that's why I went with it, but in hindsight my time and aggravation is not worth the $150 I saved vs the Dell monitor.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa