DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Draining batteries for traveling

Mr. Wood

Reactions
So I’m getting ready to travel but Mother Nature hasn’t been conducive(-3 degrees Fahrenheit and 20-35mph winds)for flying my MP in order to drain my batteries for airline safety. Any suggestions? Can I just turn on the rc and ac and drain it that way? Really don’t feel comfortable with hovering inside the house or shop. Mind you it’s Monday and we fly out Thursday.....help a 1st time traveler out please

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
You could start the props with the down and in stick move. It would use more battery power and the idling props would provide more cooling air. Sweep up the dust bunnies before you start.

You could start the props with the down and in stick move. It would use more battery power and the idling props would provide more cooling air. Sweep up the dust bunnies before you start.

Thought about that too. Wasn’t sure if it could decide to ascend for any weird reason since it’d be indoors and we all know what the outcome of that would be....haha. Not good

Are you sure you need to drain the batteries pre flight, I mean is it a direct stipulation from the airline? The reason I am asking is that I haven't come across this before and when I last looked I cannot recall it being mentioned. If that is now the case then it would be good to know @Mr. Wood

Reactions: Meta4
Are you sure you need to drain the batteries pre flight, I mean is it a direct stipulation from the airline?
Great point. Most (none?) airlines don't require this.

Thought about that too. Wasn’t sure if it could decide to ascend for any weird reason since it’d be indoors and we all know what the outcome of that would be....haha. Not good
The only thing that would cause the props to speed up is if a sudden drop in height were detected.

Reactions: Point Zero
Tie the drone to the table so it doesn't take off while spinning the blades.... (use something elastic to avoid vibration)

I’ve flown with my M2P and spare batteries a couple of times and they didn’t even look at it. Just used the DJI carry bag tucked into a larger backpack of stuff.

Are you sure you need to drain the batteries pre flight, I mean is it a direct stipulation from the airline? The reason I am asking is that I haven't come across this before and when I last looked I cannot recall it being mentioned. If that is now the case then it would be good to know @Mr. Wood

Wasn’t positive just wanted to play it on the safe side in case of disgruntled TSA employees since our government is still shut down and don’t want any issues. I’ve also purchased the contact covers for each battery and LiPo bags if absolutely necessary

I’ve flown with my M2P and spare batteries a couple of times and they didn’t even look at it. Just used the DJI carry bag tucked into a larger backpack of stuff.

Perfect. I’ve got the Smatree case and plan on just carrying it. Our layover is overnight so I actually have to pack clothes and stuff in my backpack.

Wasn’t positive just wanted to play it on the safe side in case of disgruntled TSA employees since our government is still shut down and don’t want any issues.
You could print this out and keep it in your pocket. If you have any problems, just pull it out. It'll take much less time than trying to discharge your batteries ;)

You could print this out and keep it in your pocket. If you have any problems, just pull it out. It'll take much less time than trying to discharge your batteries ;)
So according to that chart, Mavic batteries would be good to go. The question is what do they consider “protected from damage and short circuit”? Would individual carved out section in a hard case cover this?

Would individual carved out section in a hard case cover this?
You just need to ensure nothing can touch the battery contacts. If your case has individual battery slots, then you're covered.

Reactions: Thekidd76
You just need to ensure nothing can touch the battery contacts. If your case has individual battery slots, then you're covered.
Does anyone know if you can buy plastic covers for the battery pins to protect against this? Would also go down well with any person inspecting the batteries at an airport checkpoint perhaps...

Reactions: Point Zero
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada