DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dreading dealing with DJI firmware updates

NoVaMavicPilot

Reactions
Greetings pilots, I have a Mavic 2, and trying to figure out whether I should go through DJI's firmware process to become remote ID compliant, or whether I should buy a module.
As with anything DJI software, I come here first because DJI's tech communications suck. I went to DJI Assistant2, plugged in my drone, and saw a nearly 1GB file ready to download but of course have no idea what that file is and I can't tell from anything on DJI's site whether that is the remote ID update. Last time I tried to update my firmware, I had to send my Mavic to DJI. Does anyone have suggestions? Thanks so much.

As far as I know the Mavic 2 (both Pro and Zoom) can not become RID compliant without a broadcast module.
No firmware can do that.
What version firmware do you have now?

As far as I know the Mavic 2 (both Pro and Zoom) can not become RID compliant without a broadcast module.
No firmware can do that.
What version firmware do you have now?
Not sure. I need to check. I've seen lots of contradictory stuff here about possible firmware updates for Mavic2P RID. Thanks. DJI gets an "F" for it's technical and support communication.

The Mavic 2 pro was my first real not a toy drone and I think it would be to old for remote id compliant ,I read someplace the equipment to support RID is super expensive and is not readily available .
I have never had a problem updating any DJI drone

DJI may or may not update RID for these drones. It’s yet to be seen if they’re going to do that. But since the Mavic Platinum Pro does have a declaration of compliance for remote ID, I would hope that DJI also does this to the Mavic 2 line.

And remember, RID is a legal mandate on September 16. And updating the firmware, if that’s an option, is the easiest way to become compliant.

RID is very simple the modules are only 130 USD and are vertually idiot proof . I had mine up on my Matrice in minutes. I put a post in the Remote ID section a couple weeks ago. I highly doubt that DJI is going to do anything on older drones.

Hold off on getting an RID module, just in case DJI does update.

And there will be plenty below the $130 mark. You have until 9/16/23, so don’t stress yet.

I do not belive the price is the issue, its FAA approval. All these devices have to go through FAA approval process . Government agencies tend to be very slow at getting things done. So waitng to long may become an issue.

I do not belive the price is the issue
The cost for these are certainly a consideration for me at this point in time. It will be interesting to see and read about how this all plays out in September when we can count how many FAA folks are out hunting for non-compliant flying cameras that are being complained about by the local Kens and Karens. I won’t be shopping for beepers until that day arrives and may be on the ground for a bit until things get sorted out.
Hopefully, all will go well and we won’t lose any of our freedom in this hobby.
Be safe everyone! (and legal!)

Reactions: NoVaMavicPilot
Why is everybody focused on RID. Just stay off the internet and you will be fine. Oh, wait. That’s illegal. No one on here ever flys illegal right? We all have a line of sight on our drones and can always see it. I don’t think so.

Correct you can buy the base board and power and make your own mounting.

Like this!!!
That module isn't going to work as is on a DJI drone. The reason that it's only $39 is that it does not have GPS or Wi-Fi, it depends on the GPS of the drone and it connects to the drone's motherboard. It's designed for Ardupilot and requires software running on Ardupilot.

The cool thing about CubePilot is that it transmits on Bluetooth only. That will have a fraction of the range of Wi-Fi. Your RID telemetry will be harder to pickup.

Hopefully, we'll see more Bluetooth-only RID modules coming out. They will satisfy the FAA's RID requirements and have less range and a lower cost.

I normally use Litchi for flying all my older DJI drones to eliminate dealing with the updates. Works great have used with early Inspire Matrice Mavic and Minis before version 3

Good point to remember to eliminate all the screwing around with DJI never thought of until Howardk listed makes sense

Reactions: Aairon
I've updated, and fly my Mavic 2 using the Smart Controller with no issues so far. (I believe the Smart Controller provides Location Services\Remoted ID). I also fly the DJI Avata, and after updating, now have to have my IPhone connected to the Goggles to provide Location Services\Remote ID). I couldn't get a cell phone signal where I wanted to fly yesterday, which grounded my Avata due to the "No Remote ID". The folks who mandated the Remoted ID rule very obviously are technically challenged. Why in the F*** require Remote ID in areas far enough away from populated areas that getting a cell phone signal isn't possible. Makes a person shake their head at some of these knuckle dragging morons.

Reactions: NoVaMavicPilot
Greetings pilots, I have a Mavic 2, and trying to figure out whether I should go through DJI's firmware process to become remote ID compliant, or whether I should buy a module.
As with anything DJI software, I come here first because DJI's tech communications suck. I went to DJI Assistant2, plugged in my drone, and saw a nearly 1GB file ready to download but of course have no idea what that file is and I can't tell from anything on DJI's site whether that is the remote ID update. Last time I tried to update my firmware, I had to send my Mavic to DJI. Does anyone have suggestions? Thanks so much.
Does your drone do what you need it to do? Then don't update under any circumstances. I use legacy firmware and software in ALL of my drones, which includes the Inspire line, the Phantom line and the Mavic line. This also includes DJI apps. All legacy. All of my drones are flown fairly regularly and are 100% reliable. The same can't be said for those who update to the latest firmware. Crash reports abound.

Good luck.

D

The Mavic 2 pro was my first real not a toy drone and I think it would be to old for remote id compliant ,I read someplace the equipment to support RID is super expensive and is not readily available .
I have never had a problem updating any DJI drone
Hi there a2tomm, Unfortunately, I can't say the same, I noticed that you are in an FCC location.
I have updated my Drone Software in the CE location and I'm experiencing transmission problems at 100m and about 400m in line of sight I lose the total transmission signal.
I have emailed DJI and waiting for a speedy reply.
If not! I will be filing a misleading and falsely advertising their product at the Small Claims Court or Tribunal for Consumer Claims. I am sending my Drone to DJI. I am not accepting this nonsense.

Not sure about the Mavic 2, but I asked DJI if my Air 2S, purchased about 18 months ago, was RID compliant. Here’s what they said:

“When the aircraft firmware is updated to v02.04.23.20 or later, the DJI Air 2S will support United States RID requirements, and the Remote ID function cannot be disabled, and DJI Fly v1.7.8 or later is required to fly the aircraft in the United States.”

So what do dinosaurs like me do? I use NLD software so flying isnt an issue but if i want to keep things legal with RID what are my simplest, translated to cheapest, solutions?

Reactions: Jcamp123
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ