DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drifting not good

G Lee

Reactions
Has any body noticed more drift in the M2P after the last update? Heres my specs im running now. Seems after takeoff its just not the same. Im one who lets the bird sit and hover 30 to 45 seconds before flying. Ive just seen alot more drift after the last update. It almost appears to be in ATTI mode but after looking at the status on screen its in GPS mode. Screenshot_20200707-211217.jpg

Are you test hovering indoors ?
The gps signal doesn’t penetrate that well indoors. The VPS sensors, which are also used to maintain position, need as much light as possible

Also check your imu and compass for excessive interference

Last edited:
Has any body noticed more drift in the M2P after the last update?
It's most unlikely that the update had any effect on your drone's hovering accuracy.
Ive just seen a lot more drift after the last update. It almost appears to be in ATTI mode but after looking at the status on screen its in GPS mode.
There are lots of factors that can have an effect on hovering accuracy.
If you are indoors or within 10 metres of the ground, the lighting as well as texture/pattern of the surface you are hovering over can make a big difference.
(see the manual for requirements for VPS)

And before you wonder if your hovering is normal or not, consider what the specs have to say about hovering accuracy.
Hovering Accuracy Range
± 1.5 m Horizontal (with GPS positioning)
± 0.5 m Vertical (with GPS positioning)
± 0.3 m Horizontal (when vision positioning is active)
± 0.1 m Vertical (when vision positioning is active)

I did not notice any drifting after updating the firmware to .670. Do you have good GPS signals ? You can always downgrade to .510 and try again.

Thx for the replies ,
Im not indoors , and this seems to happen broad daylight or evening. Good sats. at 17 or more. AC just dosent seem as stable now. I will also try calibration again. Thx again

Thx for the replies ,
Im not indoors , and this seems to happen broad daylight or evening. Good sats. at 17 or more. AC just dosent seem as stable now. I will also try calibration again. Thx again
Before you recalibrate anything (which probably won't achieve anything anyway) ...
How much is your drone drifting?
How does this compare with the specs for hovering accuracy (see post #3)
How high above the ground is the drone?
What is the ground surface below the drone like? Is it featureless grey concrete, grass etc or is there a distinct pattern/texture?

I hover above grass and set RTH. I aloo so hover above a take off pad made of 16x16 marble tile. Either never caused a problem.

I hover above grass and set RTH. I aloo so hover above a take off pad made of 16x16 marble tile. Either never caused a problem.
Grass doesn't give a good surface for the VPS to lock on to.
That can cause the drone to wander with the VPS trying to lock onto something.
If you climb above 30 feet does that make any difference?

How much drifting is happening?
Is it 6 inches or 6 feet?
Can you put some numbers on it?

I will try the 30 ft agl wednesday and see. So far as how much , aprox. very slow backward 1ft. to 18in. Also up or down aprox. 8 to 12 in. before i correct. Thx again

How much is your drone drifting?
I will try the 30 ft agl wednesday and see. So far as how much , aprox. very slow backward 1ft. to 18in. Also up or down aprox. 8 to 12 in. before i correct. Thx again

You shouldn't expect the drone to be rock solid and be perfectly still in the air.
The specs show what hovering accuracy you should expect:
Hovering Accuracy Range
± 1.5 m Horizontal (with GPS positioning)
± 0.5 m Vertical (with GPS positioning)

± 0.3 m Horizontal (when vision positioning is active)

If it's within those parameters, there's nothing wrong with the drone.

Funny you used "Rock Solid" Thats what this bird has always been. I know i could be seeing something not worth worring about. Just never had these conditions before.

Funny you used "Rock Solid" Thats what this bird has always been. I know i could be seeing something not worth worring about. Just never had these conditions before.
I would guess that it was never really rock solid , because they never are.
The closest you'l get is hovering over a surface with a distinct pattern/texture with VPS holding it.
But even then it might still wander up to a foot horizontally.

0.3 m Horizontal (when vision positioning is active)

Fixed the drift. I did a calibration on my PC screen of all my sensors. After the cali. i went outside and tested. All good now. Thx for the input

Reactions: Alloy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potenthockey0