DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone attack on Venezuelan President

Whats fairly sinister with Aeroscope is it gives the home point location of the drone (so likely where the operator is) not just the serial number, speed, altitude and location.
I can see this stuff being abused for all kinds of non-welcome purposes by 3rd parties.

The drone appears to transmit altitude, speed, identifier, lat/long AND home point. So basically for anyone within a few miles can see who you are, where you are and where you launched from.

It claims not to send any data *yet* although thats clearly just a software change and can easily be modified by DJI or others to alter that.
What also remains to be seen is just how insecure the link is in total. Aeroscope has proven their end to end encryption claims aren't actually true. Quite how much or little is on the actual control protocol remains to be seen.

Reactions: guest_1121
Whats fairly sinister with Aeroscope is...

It broadcasts email address of drone owner. Ask yourself who authorized the guy in video #71 (who is employed by Ventura County CA and/or City of Camarillo Airport) to collect email addresses of anyone operating DJI drones within 8 miles of the device in Denver, Colorado where video was shot?

We are focusing on different issues. Who gave the Aersocope to the Camarillo airport manager and for what purpose exactly? Who gave him permission to carry it around and collect email addresses and other data wherever he goes in the world? Where is the data stored and who has access? Can I buy one or are sales limited? If limited, then to who and why? If the device is being used by a governmental agent as shown in the video, then we should have answers to all those questions.

Amateur yes. Or it showed the defences worked perfectly causing them to stop, crash and be uncontrollable from a safe distance to the person it was designed to protect.

It's for sale through DJI. I take it that particular airport bought it and had it installed.

The aeroscope is fitted in a portable briefcase designed for portability and therefore does not need to be installed anywhere. If the county bought the unit then the county would have a purchase order or invoice, instruction manual, terms of use agreement, etc. It should all be public record.

A quick Google search will reveal more. Watching the video again the rest will be answered...

Thank you. I appreciate the tip. But we actually discussed this same video and several others back in November 2017. I posted some of DJI's own Aeroscope slides like this one:
automatic-jpg.24758

From DJI's White Paper:

Although UAS do not carry people, and so do not implicate free movement of people, identification information does indicate the location of the person operating the UAS, thus revealing the activities of persons and businesses. The interest in privacy is, unfortunately, arguably heightened compared to manned aircraft considering the occasional violent confrontations that UAS operators have faced over the last few years, including physical assault and gunfire. A system that enables belligerent individuals to look up the name and address of, and then knock on the door of, a local UAS operator, is not acceptable and will detrimentally impact UAS operators who are operating safely and doing nothing wrong. The personal information of the owner (or operator) should be accessible to law enforcement only, who can investigate complaints of unlawful or dangerous conduct. Privacy and personal safety interests compel an identification system that protects operator business interests and discloses personally identifiable information only to law enforcement agencies.

After Aeroscope alerted Martino to a drone flying within the vicinity of the Camarillo Airport, I asked him what would happen next. A small aircraft icon hovered over the map on the CrystalSky display in front of me. Once the pilot stopped flying the drone, it dropped off the map. But I could still see, when I tapped through a list of recent drone activity, that the pilot had been flying an Inspire, one of DJI’s own, and the pilot’s personal email address was visible...so now what we can do is we can, essentially, send him a friendly email, introduce ourselves and the airport and hopefully engage,” Martino said. “[We say] the airport doesn’t approve or deny any FAA UAS operations, but there’s a proper method to getting approval to fly in restricted airspace.”

For now, Nick Martino says he wants to get Aeroscope installed directly in his fleet of patrol cars. In fact, he’s also been talking to DJI about doing this, as well as installing it in department helicopters. He hopes there are more direct messaging features coming, something that would be more immediate than emailing a drone pilot.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+