DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone battery vs controller battery

earlbalentine

Reactions
Queen Creek Arizona, from Mishawaka Indiana
As I beginner I realized today it doesn't matter how many drone batteries you have. I was still on my 1st 30 min battery and the controller battery went dead. There's no batteries to swap out there, you just have to wait and recharge. What am I missing here? I have 3 drone batteries but the controller runs out of power 1st.

Something's not right about that.

The controller should last a heck of lot longer than one flight.

That's part of the reason the remote is larger, it holds two big batteries inside for long use.

edit: Oops, I thought the OP had a MA2 remote. 🤭

Last edited:
Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
You might be getting power drain to your phone.
Some devices will charge using the controller battery.

Some might chime in with android experiences, it seems more prone to this, but there are ways to avoid it (I think).

Even so, it should last a lot longer than that !

Reactions: MA2 317
The controller lasted about an hour. The drone was only in the air about 10 minutes mainly setting in standby mode while I was playing around the controller configuration setup. Any one know the actually battery time after a full charge? I know the drone batteries are about 30 minutes.

Reactions: RMuntan
Using a phone that does not drain the power of the controller when plugged into it (which currently means Apple products, and you have to be sure you turn off the charging option in the controller app), I get more than an hour out of my controller.

But I usually don't push it. I have 6 batteries, but I rarely use all of them in one place/all at once. I might use 3, then drive to another location, during which I'm charging batteries and topping off the remote. Use charger that allows you to charge the remote simultaneously with a AC battery.

Chris

Any one know the actually battery time after a full charge? I know the drone batteries are about 30 minutes.

I did a quick Google search...

Six Hours. :oops:

How long does the DJI Mavic air 2 controller last?

Mavic Air 2 has a maximum flight speed of 42 mph (68 kph) and a maximum flight time of 34 minutes, while the maximum runtime of the remote controller is six hours.May 11, 2020

edit: Oops, I thought the OP had a MA2 remote. 🤭

Last edited:
Thank You.

I didn't catch that part. :)

you definitely have an issue with your RC either the batteries in the RC are faulty (or worn out )or your device is somehow draining the RC battery during use
i have a MPP and MM and even after flying each one with 4 batteries each i still have over 50% of my RC batteries charge left in each of the RC's,it could also be a faulty cable between the RC and screen device that is causing the issue

If it's the M2, it should last much longer than the even the older M1P controller battery.
The M1P controller battery is 2970mAh, while the M2 controller is 3950mAh.

My M1P I can fly all 6 batteries down to around 20% - 25%, without ever risking controller running short of power.

Reactions: old man mavic
Was the controller fully chargerd at the start of the flying session?
Both the Mavic 2 controller and the Mavic air 2 controller should definatelt last more than an hour even when driving an Android. Heck my Mavic Mini controller might manage an hour driving an Andoid and its battery is 'tiny'.

@earlbalentine Can you clarify what drone or drones you have please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thought -- I'm wondering if the battery might be damaged since it appears the OP might not have used it for a while.

"I bought my Mavic Air 2 last year and have only fly it maybe 5 times"

On average I get 6-8 flights on both my Mini2 and MA2 controller before needing to charge it again. 6 if I don't turn off the device charging and 7 to 8 if I do disable it. Even the MM gives me at least 4 batteries worth before having to recharge.

As I beginner I realized today it doesn't matter how many drone batteries you have. I was still on my 1st 30 min battery and the controller battery went dead. There's no batteries to swap out there, you just have to wait and recharge. What am I missing here? I have 3 drone batteries but the controller runs out of power 1st.
Always make sure to charge the remote just prior to going flying. Batteries do not require it if charged in last 3-4 days as they self discharge at a slow rate. I've noticed on my Air2 RC that it tends to drain quicker than the drone batteries. The RC "should" last a good hour and a half. Check your FlyApp settings and make sure it IS NOT charging your phone / tablet while plugged in and turned on. Not a need if your phone / tablet has a good charge prior to flying.

Outside of that, there may be an issue with the RC, so you'd need to contact DJI and see what they may have to say.

I have to guess the maybe? new controller wasn't fully charged. Doesn't it usually take quite a while to charge a new controller? have never come close to draining the battery on any DJI controller.
I generally charge the controller when I charge batteries and it is always charge's up in very short order.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calezu