DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone choice for UK (above 250g)

PeteGSW

Reactions
Hi All

I am wanting to get back into drone photography. I had a Mini 3 pro last year which i loved in terms of flying (range and controllability), but was a little underwhelmed by the image quality. I was wondering about an Air 2s with the 1" sensor, but am confused by the regs for a nearly 600g drone? It's unclear what and where I can fly this drone in the UK? With some forums saying don't bother with a >250g drone at all in the UK!

To be clear, I wlll be flying in non urban environments - landscape photography, away from people.

What do I need to fly the 2s or any drone above 250g in the UK? I already have the flyer ID and operator ID of my now sold Mini 3 so what do I need for a bigger drone?

Any advice appreciated here - including other drones that could be possible.

Thanks!

Hi All

I am wanting to get back into drone photography. I had a Mini 3 pro last year which i loved in terms of flying (range and controllability), but was a little underwhelmed by the image quality. I was wondering about an Air 2s with the 1" sensor, but am confused by the regs for a nearly 600g drone? It's unclear what and where I can fly this drone in the UK? With some forums saying don't bother with a >250g drone at all in the UK!

To be clear, I wlll be flying in non urban environments - landscape photography, away from people.

What do I need to fly the 2s or any drone above 250g in the UK? I already have the flyer ID and operator ID of my now sold Mini 3 so what do I need for a bigger drone?

Any advice appreciated here - including other drones that could be possible.

Thanks!
As long as you're out in the back end of beyond where people and buildings are a distant memory: you'd be okay with something up to the mass of the Mavic 3.

I reckon the Air2S and the Mav3 will be lumped into the open category - sub-category A2/A3 with a recreational registration. If you want slightly more leeway (A2 parameters) regarding built structures, groups of structures and uninvolved people, you're looking at forking out for the (now pretty much redundant) A2CofC and/or the GVC.

I'm sure you're aware that the A2S has the fixed aperture and a sensor that is less than quarter of an inch bigger than the Mini 3 Pro, so if you're looking to really up your game: the nearest you'll get to a reasonable quality flying DSLR is the Mavic 3.

A lot of people rave about Autel cameras, from my own experience, I found the image quality to be way below the standard they claimed and the camera firmware to be patchy and cobbled together. Again from personal experience, the cameras on DJI drones offer the best "bang-for-buck" by a farmyard mile.

*ADDENDUM*

Here's version 11 of CAP 2012 - so it's straight from the horses mouth. With an Air2S you can fly in the A2 sub-category.
CAP1012 - version 11.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: PeteGSW and GFields
As long as you're out in the back end of beyond where people and buildings are a distant memory: you'd be okay with something up to the mass of the Mavic 3.

I reckon the Air2S and the Mav3 will be lumped into the open category - sub-category A2/A3 with a recreational registration. If you want slightly more leeway (A2 parameters) regarding built structures, groups of structures and uninvolved people, you're looking at forking out for the (now pretty much redundant) A2CofC and/or the GVC.

I'm sure you're aware that the A2S has the fixed aperture and a sensor that is less than quarter of an inch bigger than the Mini 3 Pro, so if you're looking to really up your game: the nearest you'll get to a reasonable quality flying DSLR is the Mavic 3.

A lot of people rave about Autel cameras, from my own experience, I found the image quality to be way below the standard they claimed and the camera firmware to be patchy and cobbled together. Again from personal experience, the cameras on DJI drones offer the best "bang-for-buck" by a farmyard mile.

*ADDENDUM*

Here's version 11 of CAP 2012 - so it's straight from the horses mouth. With an Air2S you can fly in the A2 sub-category.
View attachment 160621
Thanks - that's helpful. So If I am flying in A3 category, I don't need anything more than what I have? The flyer ID and operator ID. Is that right?

Reactions: Felix le Chat

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahb