DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Confrontation - Scaring The Birds?

heo3480

Reactions
When I was out recording footage for the last tutorial I ended up Drone Confrontation initiated by me because I was about to fly over a farmers land and he did not seem too happy with me around I decided to the take confrontation up front.

What would you have done?

I would have just said hi. He didn’t seem unhappy with you
He just gave you his opinion to what you asked.
If I was to have said anything it would have been when he
walked by I would have said hi told him what I was doing and
If he didn’t want me there I would have just said sorry and left. That’s just the way we do it here and have never had any issues.

Reactions: bassnbeau and Shon
Just had a guy come up and confront me while taking some video over the ocean.

Over the 15 or so minutes I was flying, I heard several women passing by making comments that they didn’t “like drones”. And seeing it made them very uncomfortable. I’m guessing this guy must have been the husband of one of the women, because he came up to me later and commented, “There are several of us here that would love to see what you are filming when you are done. We are just not used to seeing those things here. “

He might have said something else, what he said wasn’t all that rude, but the tone of his voice expresses clear annoyance, and suspicion regarding what I was filming. He was close enough that I could smell a whiff of alcohol, and I wasn’t sure how much more quickly things might escalate.

I told him I would be happy to share the footage, and that folks on the ground look like “ants”.

Truth be told, I was filming the ocean, not the people behind the drone, but it didn’t stop children from running along the beach waving at the drone, screaming with excitement, thinking that I was filming them. I remember when kids acted that way anytime a video camera came out. Now everyone pretty much ignores normal cameras. But when it comes to drones... too many people automatically assume they are being filmed.

I stuck around after my flight. Nobody bothered to ask to see any footage.

I was flying legally, had the right permits, etc, but people are people, and they can be especially suspicious about things they don’t understand. I imagine if the man came back and looked at what I was filming, he might have actually appreciated the footage.

You should have shown him the footage. That could have changed their opinions of drones for the good, forever.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000