DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone drifting off

Liamcupra

Reactions
Just wondered if it’s normal drone goes up and it’s fine but it reaches height and it started to drift off

How to do I stop it from drifting?

Drifting is normal if the drone is flying in ATTI mode. It shouldn't be drifting if it's using GPS.

Anything useful in the TXT flight log? You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.

Drifting is normal if the drone is flying in ATTI mode. It shouldn't be drifting if it's using GPS.

Anything useful in the TXT flight log? You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.

How do I upload my log

Follow the instructions here.

If it’s 25 at the ground it could be 40 or 50 at 300 feet up . Chances are any wind over 25 and it’s going for a one way tour

Reactions: Liamcupra
So does it say it’s at 25mph on the ground and also does it tell you what speed it was in the air? Sorry for the noob questions

Yes it was pretty windy I admit is 25 MPH wind speed enough to take it drifting then?
>25 is enough that it may require sport mode to get it back. Wind speed aloft is likely to be higher so if you fly in these conditions make sure you have a tailwind on the way back. Of course winds aloft not only may be blowing at different speeds but also different directions than at the ground so that would also need to be considered.

The best advise would be to not fly in these conditions.

Thank you I did have to activate sports mode and bought it way lower and it came back and didn’t struggle as much

So does it say it’s at 25mph on the ground and also does it tell you what speed it was in the air? Sorry for the noob questions

I posted the computed wind speeds at 12 ft and 58 ft in post #6. It will have been stronger higher up, but there was not enough data to calculate.

I think the confusion in your origonal post was your statement that it "drifted off" when it actually was being blown downwind. I had the same thing happen when I launched from a forrested area and as soon as I cleared the tree tops it hit winds too strong to maintain position. Put it in sport mode and brought it back to land. I could see the amount of tilt needed just to hover in the "radar" screen. Lesson learned; do not fly in strong winds.

I think the confusion in your origonal post was your statement that it "drifted off" when it actually was being blown downwind. I had the same thing happen when I launched from a forrested area and as soon as I cleared the tree tops it hit winds too strong to maintain position. Put it in sport mode and brought it back to land. I could see the amount of tilt needed just to hover in the "radar" screen. Lesson learned; do not fly in strong winds.

Thanks for the advice mate appreciate it [emoji3]

Invest in a free app called UAV Forecast. It will show you in increments what the estimated wind speed is. It won't be far off. Here is an example. You were very, very lucky.
Screenshot_20180827-154051_UAV Forecast.jpg
Screenshot_20180827-154102_UAV Forecast.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada