DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Fell Into The Sea... And Survived!

howgee

Reactions
Hey Mavic Community,

Wanted to share with you a Mavic survival story I just experienced a few days ago. I was on a boat in Greece, with a friend helping me hand launch the Mavic from the front of the boat (pictured below) as we had done many times before. For some reason, the drone did not take off in a balanced fashion: the right side rose before the left, causing the drone to flip upside down as it went over the railing of the boat into the (very salty) sea. There is a chance my friend might have held on to it for a little too long as it was taking off - but he says the drone behaved erratically and just took off leaning on one side.

Once in the water, the Mavic sank straight to the bottom. Luckily the water was only about 2m deep and we were able to recover it within 10 seconds. I immediately removed the battery and rinsed out the drone with a freshwater shower, then immersed it in a freshwater bucket for about 30 seconds. Separately, I also rinsed the battery (but frankly, I don't remember if I immersed that as well). After letting everything dry outside in the sun for ~2 days, I plugged in a spare battery and held my breath as I powered everything on. All tests checked out just fine, and I did a test flight on land without any issues. Flew it a few times since then, without any problems whatsoever. My only potential loss is the original battery, which does no longer turn on the drone and occasionally flashes the power lights when just sitting around. I didn't try recharging that one as I wasn't sure if it was safe to do so.

After this mishap, I can certainly attest to the durability of the Mavic! I hope you never have to face a similar situation, but in case you do, following the steps I did above may help revive it. Anyone else experienced a failed hand launch like that before or have any ideas what may have caused it?

IMG_0713.JPG

As you said, uneven take off.
Glad that you brought it back to service.
Hopefully the residual salt water residue wont caused any corrosion in the long run.

Awesome!!
This is the very first time in over 45 years of flying RC that I have EVER heard of a successful salt water recovery where the aircraft was able to survive to fly again.
Congrats
:)ThumbswayupThumbswayup

Reactions: KiterTodd
Wow you got lucky, very lucky. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Glad you were able to recover it quickly and rinse it.

Good luck. Keep an eye on it closely while you are within the warranty period. If you bought the extended care, you may want to send it back at 12 months even if it has minor things wrong that later can turn into significant issues.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters