DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone film Guide course any reviews?

Whitefalcon

Reactions
Hi all,
I note there is an 8 hour course run by a team called Drone Film Guide on the internet: Drone Cinematography Masterclass 2.0. It is quite expensive but sound interesting. Before I part with some hard earned cash does anyone have any experience of this course and any feedback. Is it work the $360 they are asking for?

Their YouTube vids are quite good although they mostly repeat the same limited information and then push you to this course.

Any info much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Hi all,
I note there is an 8 hour course run by a team called Drone Film Guide on the internet: Drone Cinematography Masterclass 2.0. It is quite expensive but sound interesting. Before I part with some hard earned cash does anyone have any experience of this course and any feedback. Is it work the $360 they are asking for?

Their YouTube vids are quite good although they mostly repeat the same limited information and then push you to this course.

Any info much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
As a seasoned pro, I would suggest that not everyone who claims to be a professional is as good as they claim to be. If you really want tuition, look around within the UK and you'll find others who's actual filming output is significantly better - which should speak volumes. Also, re-read your own words in your second paragraph above as you're not wrong. I'm carefully picking my words here, but some people are just focusing on new hobbyists to build a name for themselves. And you certainly want someone capable of more attention to detail, less sloppy.

The best advice I can give you in a nutshell is as follows: Spend most of your time pre-planning, in detail, with regards to any filming project. Film in the hour after sunrise and the hour just before sunset. Know how to best compose a scene, using the rule of thirds. (Study any and all still photographs and video to see what works best.) Slightly underexpose (-0.3 or -0.7). Be tough on yourself when it comes to editing.

You can learn so-called "cinematography techniques" by watching and analysing documentaries, TV series, and films. This won't cost you anything. Alternatively, there is good advice online, also for free. Learn from the best, not from those who are mediocre.

I hope this helps. You seem decent.

Whilst I don’t mind their Youtube channel (I find Stuart can be a bit of a grump) I wouldn’t splash out that amount of money of a course from them, or anybody else for that matter. There is also a plethora of other Youtube ‘experts’ showing how shots can be achieved.

@African wildlife as ever offers some very good advice. I would echo their suggestion of mimicking others. I often watch films and analyse a particular shot I like. I find in that working out how it was made is often a better way of learning than having someone tell you - but, we all learn in different ways.

Also, I think a lot of people miss the importance of editing. In my opinion good editing is just as important as good camera work.

If you are going to do a course, I wouldn’t spend money on one that is specifically for drone work either. Overall cinematography would be a much better choice. https://www.masterclass.com/categories/film-tv

Whilst I don’t mind their Youtube channel (I find Stuart can be a bit of a grump) I wouldn’t splash out that amount of money of a course from them, or anybody else for that matter. There is also a plethora of other Youtube ‘experts’ showing how shots can be achieved.

@African wildlife as ever offers some very good advice. I would echo their suggestion of mimicking others. I often watch films and analyse a particular shot I like. I find in that working out how it was made is often a better way of learning than having someone tell you - but, we all learn in different ways.

Also, I think a lot of people miss the importance of editing. In my opinion good editing is just as important as good camera work.

If you are going to do a course, I wouldn’t spend money on one that is specifically for drone work either. Overall cinematography would be a much better choice. https://www.masterclass.com/categories/film-tv
Really helpful thanks,
I had an inkling that this was the case. I like the link and will follow it up.

Best wishes

Reactions: Lastrexking
As a seasoned pro, I would suggest that not everyone who claims to be a professional is as good as they claim to be. If you really want tuition, look around within the UK and you'll find others who's actual filming output is significantly better - which should speak volumes. Also, re-read your own words in your second paragraph above as you're not wrong. I'm carefully picking my words here, but some people are just focusing on new hobbyists to build a name for themselves. And you certainly want someone capable of more attention to detail, less sloppy.

The best advice I can give you in a nutshell is as follows: Spend most of your time pre-planning, in detail, with regards to any filming project. Film in the hour after sunrise and the hour just before sunset. Know how to best compose a scene, using the rule of thirds. (Study any and all still photographs and video to see what works best.) Slightly underexpose (-0.3 or -0.7). Be tough on yourself when it comes to editing.

You can learn so-called "cinematography techniques" by watching and analysing documentaries, TV series, and films. This won't cost you anything. Alternatively, there is good advice online, also for free. Learn from the best, not from those who are mediocre.

I hope this helps. You seem decent.
That is great advice and very helpful,
I picked up the -0.3 or -0.7 from somewhere else, tried it out and it worked. I've also watched some films / movies recently with a different eye. I was counting how long shots lasted before they cut to another view and was really surprised how often they do and each shot was only a few seconds with the longest being 20-30 secs at the most! I'm surprised how I never noticed that before until I got interested.

I rewatched the Matrix after what you posted and analysed some of the shots with a critical eye and there are some great ideas in there.

I wasn't sure about the course and glad I asked. I think if it was in the $99 category I would have had a punt but I suspect that most of the course content I may already know and the $360 price tag is too much for what I suspect is in there.

Many thanks again,

Reactions: KingRat
Whitefalcon: I'd suggest 5 seconds for an average edit and no more than 7 or 8 seconds for something like a title sequence. Less is definitely more. And don't repeat subject matter.

Most of my colleagues keep re-watching the Matrix trilogy because of the allegory for the need to burst the bubble and look beyond. It's an important message.

Whitefalcon: I'd suggest 5 seconds for an average edit and no more than 7 or 8 seconds for something like a title sequence. Less is definitely more. And don't repeat subject matter.

Most of my colleagues keep re-watching the Matrix trilogy because of the allegory for the need to burst the bubble and look beyond. It's an important message.
Thank you for the advice,
Watch ed one of the perfect planet series just now and I see what you mean about the length of the average edit.
Were you on the team? Where can we see your work? I'd be really interested.

If anyone is interested I did a Udemy course that was reduced from £60 to £15.99. Lots of good points and cheep as chips. "Drone videography: How to get the most out of drone cameras"

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird