DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Fly-In/Picnic to protest unlawful drone ordinance

Lapeer20m

Reactions
Michigan has a UAS preemption law that prohibits local units of government from regulating the use or ownership of drones which reads in pertinent part:

...a political subdivision shall not enact or enforce an ordinance or resolution that regulates the ownership or operation of unmanned aircraft or otherwise engage in the regulation of the ownership or operation of unmanned aircraft....

A group of us have spent the past 5 months engaging in diplomatic options like email, phone calls, county meetings etc. At least one person was arrested and issued a citation for a completely lawful flight in the park, a citation that was thrown out by the prosecutor. The county refuses to back down and is continuing to thumb their nose at the Michigan Legislature.

We have scheduled a picnic/drone fly-in at one of these parks for next sunday, April 7th at 2pm. If you are local to Michigan, your presence is requested, even if you don't plan to fly.

Wish you luck.
I fear that only when the county citations overwhelm the courts will you be successful... hope I’m wrong.

Wish you luck.
I fear that only when the county citations overwhelm the courts will you be successful... hope I’m wrong.

I find future citations unlikely. Even more unlikely is the prosecutor authorizing the charges. If charges were authorized, there is pretty much zero chance anyone would be found guilty since state law is crystal clear on this issue.

Reactions: Shon and Thomas B
Have fun, stay safe:)

can't wait for you to come back and tell us how it all went, how many people showed up to fly. Did anyone get tickets. Did they promis to sit down and talk about fixing this injustice ?

Michigan has a UAS preemption law that prohibits local units of government from regulating the use or ownership of drones which reads in pertinent part:

...a political subdivision shall not enact or enforce an ordinance or resolution that regulates the ownership or operation of unmanned aircraft or otherwise engage in the regulation of the ownership or operation of unmanned aircraft....

A group of us have spent the past 5 months engaging in diplomatic options like email, phone calls, county meetings etc. At least one person was arrested and issued a citation for a completely lawful flight in the park, a citation that was thrown out by the prosecutor. The county refuses to back down and is continuing to thumb their nose at the Michigan Legislature.

We have scheduled a picnic/drone fly-in at one of these parks for next sunday, April 7th at 2pm. If you are local to Michigan, your presence is requested, even if you don't plan to fly.

View attachment 67811
Good luck. We could use that law in the UK, where so many try to claim their own jurisdiction over UAVs.

Thank you for allowing me to join in your drone picinic. You seem to be a lot of good people working toward the right goals following the right path, peaceful and legal. I wish you well in this endeavor. I enjoyed meeting this informal Genesee Drone group. Perhaps I may be able to meet up with the group again when I am downstate.

Reactions: Lapeer20m
Wow after all his hub bub about this big flyin he doesn't come back and report unreal
dam maybe he really is in Jail :(

Thank you for allowing me to join in your drone picinic. You seem to be a lot of good people working toward the right goals following the right path, peaceful and legal. I wish you well in this endeavor. I enjoyed meeting this informal Genesee Drone group. Perhaps I may be able to meet up with the group again when I am downstate.
Did you go to this picnic what happen the OP has disappeared

Reactions: Thomas B
If it did actually happen wouldn't such a gathering do more harm than good?, I am fairly sure most park users don't want a large number of drones buzzing around.
I think perhaps this Idea has more to do with one persons understandable anger over mistreatment than about creating any positive effect

If it did actually happen wouldn't such a gathering do more harm than good?, I am fairly sure most park users don't want a large number of drones buzzing around.
I think perhaps this Idea has more to do with one persons understandable anger over mistreatment than about creating any positive effect

I don't believe this at all. There are various group activities going on in parks from time to time and some of which can be somewhat noisy. Why should a group of drone users be any different.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ENJOYBIKE