DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone flying as a volunteer.

Harold Morgan

Reactions
I like to do work for my political party. In a discussion with my state ethics commission I was told that, if I wanted to do work for a Party or candidate as a volunteer, using my own equipment, it was not considered an "in kind donation", and there would be no limits on the amount of work I did. Has anybody entered into this kind of working relationship before, and do you think the FAA would see things the same way as my ethics commission?

The FAA and a political party don't have many overlapping definitions.

If you are being told it is not an "in kind donation" you are being told it's not a service that has a value assigned to it that is then part of the maximum you can contribute to a party/individual based on the various campaign laws.

I'm guessing you are questioning about how the FAA sees your flight as part of what regulations you have to follow when you fly. The FAA doesn't care about money or the value of your service or anything like that. There are a bunch of rules, and then there are exceptions and different rules for "recreational fliers". So, the only question for the FAA is -- is your flight for recreation or not? Informally (outside of the law) they define that as for "fun".

I'm not a lawyer and have absolutely zero with your actual scenario. That said, to my eyes, it would be hard to classify what you are describe as recreational if your intention would be to do something to benefit a political party or candidate. I would think you need to fly under the non-recreational, i.e., part 107 rules.

If you are being told it is not an "in kind donation" you are being told it's not a service that has a value assigned to it that is then part of the maximum you can contribute to a party/individual based on the various campaign laws.

I'm guessing you are questioning about how the FAA sees your flight as part of what regulations you have to follow when you fly. The FAA doesn't care about money or the value of your service or anything like that. There are a bunch of rules, and then there are exceptions and different rules for "recreational fliers". So, the only question for the FAA is -- is your flight for recreation or not? Informally (outside of the law) they define that as for "fun".

I'm not a lawyer and have absolutely zero with your actual scenario. That said, to my eyes, it would be hard to classify what you are describe as recreational if your intention would be to do something to benefit a political party or candidate. I would think you need to fly under the non-recreational, i.e., part 107 rules.
I see your point. As a practical matter I guess it wouldn't make much difference in my conduct. Thanks for the reply.

To add to what @sar104 stated:

You can not Hobby/Recreate "FOR" another person/entity. If you can't fit your flight 100% in the Hobby/Recreation protective bubble it is by default Part 107 operation.

It depends on what party you are benefiting...

Just kidding! But this rule would also apply to helping out a nonprofit non-political group as a volunteer. I wanted to do that as well as an archaeological volunteer helping out to do mapping on a project, but was recommended to get a 107 for that as well.

It depends on what party you are benefiting...

Just kidding! But this rule would also apply to helping out a nonprofit non-political group as a volunteer. I wanted to do that as well as an archaeological volunteer helping out to do mapping on a project, but was recommended to get a 107 for that as well.
I passed my 107 a couple weeks ago. Waiting on my i.d. YouTube gave me all I needed. Made my first pitch this morning. Gotta build that reputation.

I passed my 107 a couple weeks ago. Waiting on my i.d. YouTube gave me all I needed. Made my first pitch this morning. Gotta build that reputation.
Good job getting your 107, I did that as well. YouTube definitely helped out along with just buying the study guide from FAA. I ended up doing that project and mapped out some rock outcrop’s, and since then I’ve been mapping on a few contracts with my wife’s archaeological company too.

To OP: You are just honing your flying and photography/ videography skills as a hobbyist :D
I did it flying to capture the construction progress for our local school.
I was practicing waypoints, AC flight configurations, video techniques, Etc...
As I work for said district, I was off the clock when I performed these practice sessions.

It all depends on the party you are working for!! :D

Just kidding.

• Haha
Reactions: Gindra
To OP: You are just honing your flying and photography/ videography skills as a hobbyist :D
I did it flying to capture the construction progress for our local school.
I was practicing waypoints, AC flight configurations, video techniques, Etc...
As I work for said district, I was off the clock when I performed these practice sessions.

That's fine as a personal decision if you are comfortable doing that and are confident that no one is going to report you or inadvertently draw attention to a pattern of unlicensed non-recreational flying. I think it's bad advice to give others who may mistake it for a loophole in the law.

Getting your 107 is not as daunting a task as it might seem. There are many ways to prepare for it depending on how you like to learn. For me, the important thing is the actual "Learning".

Studying for the Part 107 really helps you feel integrated into the National Airspace system. I feel a part of it all now. Whether I use my 107 for commercial purposes is of secondary importance to me. I like knowing the rules and why the rules are in place.

So, my two cents worth is to get your 107 and ALL the options for drone use open up for you.

Getting your 107 is not as daunting a task as it might seem. There are many ways to prepare for it depending on how you like to learn. For me, the important thing is the actual "Learning".

Studying for the Part 107 really helps you feel integrated into the National Airspace system. I feel a part of it all now. Whether I use my 107 for commercial purposes is of secondary importance to me. I like knowing the rules and why the rules are in place.

So, my two cents worth is to get your 107 and ALL the options for drone use open up for you.
I understand how this is confusing as the OP asked a question that he already has the ability/credentials to perform but here is his post on the above topic:

Reactions: Thomas B
I understand how this is confusing as the OP asked a question that he already has the ability/credentials to perform but here is his post on the above topic:
Hah! And I'm the one who is always grousing that people do not read the posts carefully! Duh! :)

• Haha
Reactions: sar104 and BigAl07
Reactions: Thomas B and Gindra

I absolutely agree. I Fly for two non-profits, they both consider it in kind.

The politicians don’t consider it to be in kind, because they want the maximum monetary donation to go with it. That makes no difference with any of the political parties!!!

@Harold Morgan - Congrats on passing your Part 107!!!! Let me ask you a question, will you be flying over any people what so ever?

Some operations are not covered by Part 107 and will require a waiver, no matter if you passed your part 107 or not.
Here are some common examples of Part 107 sections that are subject to waiver:

• Visual line of sight aircraft operation (§ 107.31) *
  • Operation over people (§ 107.39)
  • Operation in certain airspace (§ 107.41)

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost