DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Footage Hawaii Volcano

Why film the lava when all flights in the area have been banned? It's not good practice for the rest of us living in the islands. . . .

Reactions: Maxheadspace
Yes, completely.

The guy who filmed the posted video had his stuff on all the media when the flow first started; since then, drone flights have been banned--rightly so, in my opinion, given the need for uninterrupted USGS and state helicopter access.

So Daisy-girl did nothing wrong then by posting some 'guys' video? I dont understand your comment in #2?

Reactions: SvenG
So Daisy-girl did nothing wrong then by posting some 'guys' video? I dont understand your comment in #2?

Simo, FYI as your are in Australia. Daisy did nothing wrong by posting it, however, if the flight WAS during the Temporary Flight Restriction (TFR) then this gives a bad image for UAV pilots as it gives the impression to the general public and authorities that we do not follow the rules and endanger manned EM aircraft. It would depend on when the footage was taken. If the video was taken after the TFR was put in place then the flight should not have happened and the pilot was flying illegally.

Reactions: ScubaBob
Yeah, gotchya but??
The guy who filmed the posted video had his stuff on all the media when the flow first started; since then, drone flights have been banned
Thats what prompted my question. But no matter, I understand the sentiment.

Last edited:
Why film the lava when all flights in the area have been banned? It's not good practice for the rest of us living in the islands. . . .
Can we just STOP with the drone police crap? Most of you don’t know WTF you’re talking about anyway when it comes to actual LAW verses requests and suggestions.

Is the site infected with a virus? I got a warning when I opened it and then it tried to download several files.

Is the site infected with a virus? I got a warning when I opened it and then it tried to download several files.
Not that I'm aware of. But here's a link to the video on YouTube.

Thanks! It was very strange. 7 files were attempted to be downloaded and they warned not to turn off computer. I've run a scan on the downloads folder, but deleted the files before I did and emptied the trash. I'm running a thorough scan now and hoping nothing was infected. Just posted as a "warning" to others to be careful incase there is a problem.

That's my cousin! Right on Jeremiah! Thumbswayup

I can tell you now, his flights, this one and the first one that got all of the media buzz, were not done illegally.

Tell us exactly how you know this, please. Do you know for a fact that Mr. Osuna had a flight authorization when this footage was taken?

His first flight certainly was done before any FAA TFR was in effect. This particular video, for anyone with knowledge of the event since it started, shows the Fissure #2-7-8 flow, and had to have been taken well after the TFR and Kilauea Volcano Emergency Operations Area declaration went into effect. That's an indisputable fact.

The temptation to fly a drone over this event has to be off the charts right now for pilots. But at the same time the emergency management operations down there are as real as real gets. Homes are being lost and complete communities are seeing evacuation routes cut off. The day will come when personal drones will be able to fly the site with complete freedom, but it's not here yet.

A live video of the eruption can be found here as of this writing:

Reactions: cherriez88
the video footage was taken no higher than treetop height, no full sized aircraft would be that low. stupid laws get ignored.

Reactions: Petroski
Tell us exactly how you know this, please. Do you know for a fact that Mr. Osuna had a flight authorization when this footage was taken?

Do you know for a fact that he DIDN'T have authorization? It's not my job to prove to YOU what another person does or doesn't have! Have you reached out to Jeremiah and asked him if he had authorization? FAA? NPS?

With all the media attention he's garnered, it would be stupid of him or anyone (there are other drone flights over the fissures as well) to fly and then post their videos without having authorization.

Just curious, do you ask pilots on this forum who fly bvlos to show and prove that they maintained visual contact with their aircraft?

Wanted to share these two comments that I read on another drone pilot's YouTube from a flight he did over the lava flows. I'm not advocating for anyone to violate flight restrictions or fly without authorization. I don't know whether this pilot had authorization or not. But based on the comments, his drone flight helped a couple homeowners.

Link to the video:
Screenshot_20180520-092435.jpegScreenshot_20180520-092609.jpeg

Do you know for a fact that he DIDN'T have authorization? It's not my job to prove to YOU what another person does or doesn't have! Have you reached out to Jeremiah and asked him if he had authorization? FAA? NPS?

With all the media attention he's garnered, it would be stupid of him or anyone (there are other drone flights over the fissures as well) to fly and then post their videos without having authorization.

Just curious, do you ask pilots on this forum who fly bvlos to show and prove that they maintained visual contact with their aircraft?

Your bvlos question is a dead cat you can research yourself. But yes, it would be stupid to post a video containing so little life safety value considering the circumstances. Right now we don't know if he had authorization or not, but it is patently clear that drone flight restrictions in the area from the ground surface to 3000 ft AGL were in place at the time the video was shot. Rather than escalating this conversation further the most efficient resolution would be to refer the YouTube link to the FAA and local Emergency Management officials directly. They can settle it with the pilot. As you know they fully investigate all reports of this nature.

The last thing anyone should want right now, especially as roads are being cut off by lava flows and Pahoa area lives put at risk, is an unnecessary accident caused by an irresponsible sUAS pilot who thinks it's okay to disregard federal air safety regulations they consider "stupid".

Rather than escalating this conversation further the most efficient resolution would be to refer the YouTube link to the FAA and local Emergency Management officials directly. They can settle it with the pilot. As you know they fully investigate all reports of this nature.

Which is what you should/could have done the first time instead of asking me to prove to you that he had authorization.

The issue with drone laws being stupid and ignored was made by somebody else.

"I can tell you now, his flights, this one and the first one that got all of the media buzz, were not done illegally."

No question regarding the first flight. But as to the second on Yahoo, we'll see. Watch this space.

"I can tell you now, his flights, this one and the first one that got all of the media buzz, were not done illegally."

No question regarding the first flight. But as to the second on Yahoo, we'll see. Watch this space.
Just wondering why you have taken it upon yourself to be continuing with the ‘drone police’ act. You had you say, we all read it, how about you leave it at that

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots