DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone for skiing

benbagshaw

Reactions
Hi guys here's I'm going skiing in Feb. I'm looking to rent a drone off Fat Lama, people are renting out a variety of drones. Theres the Mavic Pro, the phantom 4, the inspire 1 v2 and a few of the parrot drones. I've used the phantom 4 before, its epic. Never used the mavic...Are any of these drones able to follow you, so when I'm skiing down the slopes I want to able to ski down and have the drone film me from behind as its chasing me down the mountain. Can any of them do this? Any thoughts would be awesome. Only using it for a week in Feb hence i'm not buying. Any recommendations would be awesome.

Cheers, Ben.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but they will follow you with the camera (on a flat plane) but will not descend down the slope after you.

I have yet to test follow me in snowy conditions due to my coastal location but I swear I saw someone saying the reflectance of the snow messed with its tracking abilities. Someone correct me?

Sent from my SM-N910V using MavicPilots mobile app

Reactions: Prop_Nut
Thanks Chase and Dmanisgnarly (not sure of your name). Yeah i've heard both of those things. So I've used a DJI 4 in the mountains not skiing just in the village. I think the cold affects the sensors and the tracking as you say. Chase yeah that's the feeling i'm getting...so what one would you recommend for a 10 sec clip of a jump let's say?

In a nutshell... "No". What you mention has been one of my "dreams" since I first started flying/owning drones. While they can do it to some degree, the technology is not quite there yet where its a "fire and forget". They can still lose you in frame, they don't tend to do well with the varied terrain, obstacles, and speed. They don't tend to go fast enough to keep up and still use its collision avoidance...

I'd also recommend checking the rules of the ski resort/area you are planning on skiing at as most of the Colorado Resorts do not allow drones to be flown on the slopes. Thats "if" you plan on skiing at a resort (could be backcountry skiing where there are typically no rules with regard to drones).

Hi guys here's I'm going skiing in Feb. I'm looking to rent a drone off Fat Lama, people are renting out a variety of drones. Theres the Mavic Pro, the phantom 4, the inspire 1 v2 and a few of the parrot drones. I've used the phantom 4 before, its epic. Never used the mavic...Are any of these drones able to follow you, so when I'm skiing down the slopes I want to able to ski down and have the drone film me from behind as its chasing me down the mountain. Can any of them do this? Any thoughts would be awesome. Only using it for a week in Feb hence i'm not buying. Any recommendations would be awesome.

Cheers, Ben.

MavicMo. Thanks for the reply too! Yeah I've seen some footage pf what looks like drone footage skiing its incredible. Always been a go pro fan, but drone technology has revolutionised by filming experience?

Aslo...as you say seen footage on Phamtom 4 finding it hard on the slopes.

And yes will check the rules for sure...

Has anyone been able to use a drone in short bursts on the slopes of a resort? It seems like it would be pretty easy to get away with if you had someone pilot the craft and film you going down a short run (for example). Do they kick you out for the day if you get caught? Just wondering.....

I live in Utah and the resort I have a seasons pass too (Brighton ski area) allows a limited number of drone flights a day occording to their website. They have a place you check in at the resort on the day you want to fly. I just got the mavic this week and haven't been able to get up there with it. But I will post it when I do.

I've not seen anyone fly a drone at any of the Colorado Ski resorts I've been at. I would imagine if ski patrol caught you, they'd warn you the first time, unless you are being a jerk to them then they might take your pass...

Has anyone been able to use a drone in short bursts on the slopes of a resort? It seems like it would be pretty easy to get away with if you had someone pilot the craft and film you going down a short run (for example). Do they kick you out for the day if you get caught? Just wondering.....

I live in Utah and the resort I have a seasons pass too (Brighton ski area) allows a limited number of drone flights a day occording to their website. They have a place you check in at the resort on the day you want to fly. I just got the mavic this week and haven't been able to get up there with it. But I will post it when I do.

Thanks. I live in Florida and I frequent Brighton and Snowbird. Nice to know I at least have a chance at Brighton. As long as you are not being an idiot about it, I don't really see the harm. And yes, I would assume you would at least get a warning first before getting kicked, which I would politely heed.

Went up skiing at keystone resort a few weeks ago I paid for the close parking and was there early in the morning. Decided to fly the drone. I flew the drone for about 15 mins from the parking lot. never over any of the ski runs, over any people. I wouldn't fly it down the slopes. Bad idea unless there were no people around, well thats not gonna happen. All went great got great footage. Flew at lunch time, well here they came over and shut me down. Again i flew over no people. Was flying again away from any ski runs or lifts. They just said that i couldn't fly it there. I was cool about it, but it sure opens up a discussion. I guess the NSAA has set forth there policy's in regards to drone flying at ski resorts. FAA i guess are still working on those regs. Its crazy to me that i fly this drone in FAA airspace away from people, following the regs on airspace, and the registration. and now people own the airspace above there property. FAA owns that airspace last time i checked. Anyways i researched some and like any regs its all over the place. FAA owns the airspace of us forest, but i guess people can just set permissions on air space too. its crazy to me i can fire up my airplane and fly all over that resort all i want, as long as i stick to the regs of distant from buildings and such. It will always be a discussion, but for now from what i understand the NSAA has just set there own policy over the airspace or property.

bj25430 I did some practise in the winter with the phantom 4. Made some film footage same as you - in the resort itself not near people or lifts or anything. It went fine, no one came and had a problem with us. But I didn't take it on the slopes so i'm not actually not sure what would happen? What drone were you using bj25430?

Went up skiing at keystone resort a few weeks ago I paid for the close parking and was there early in the morning. Decided to fly the drone. I flew the drone for about 15 mins from the parking lot. never over any of the ski runs, over any people. I wouldn't fly it down the slopes. Bad idea unless there were no people around, well thats not gonna happen. All went great got great footage. Flew at lunch time, well here they came over and shut me down. Again i flew over no people. Was flying again away from any ski runs or lifts. They just said that i couldn't fly it there. I was cool about it, but it sure opens up a discussion. I guess the NSAA has set forth there policy's in regards to drone flying at ski resorts. FAA i guess are still working on those regs. Its crazy to me that i fly this drone in FAA airspace away from people, following the regs on airspace, and the registration. and now people own the airspace above there property. FAA owns that airspace last time i checked. Anyways i researched some and like any regs its all over the place. FAA owns the airspace of us forest, but i guess people can just set permissions on air space too. its crazy to me i can fire up my airplane and fly all over that resort all i want, as long as i stick to the regs of distant from buildings and such. It will always be a discussion, but for now from what i understand the NSAA has just set there own policy over the airspace or property.
I think if you launched the drone, and piloted it while standing on off-resort property, their recourse against you for flying in airspace over the resort property would be minimal, unless you were interfering with mountain operations. I think they have the right to regulate your operating FROM their property. The FAA gives permission to fly in the airspace, but you need permission from a landowner to fly FROM their property. I think this principal would even apply to National Parks, where flying a drone from within park boundaries is against rules.

I ski at Snowbird in Utah. Their policy is that you need written permission to fly a drone from their property. I've only had my Mavic since last week, so I haven't contacted them yet to see how easy it is to get permission.

I've wondered about piloting the drone from a neighboring parking lot, and flying over the mountain.

However, interfering with mountain operations at Snowbird could be a very real possibility, depending on the conditions. Following any significant snowfall, Snowbird performs a lot of avalanche control. They will "shoot" avalanches with explosive charges from several ground stations all around the mountain. They even perform these operations when it seems three isn't much avalanche risk.

One other side note, I find it interesting that B4UFly, AirMap, and UAVForecast show a lot of helipads in the Salt Lake City area that probably never see helicopters (except for the hospital pads), however none of those apps show the helipad near Snowbird where they fly dozens of flights each day during the winter for heli-skiing. Maybe because it is a private heliport?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Funny you should say that about Utah, I wonder if that is a common theme in USA. I wonder if Europe are abit more chilled?

Have you thought about the AirDog? I'm looking for a drone that follows me down the mtn when I'm heli/cat skiing. Airdog looks like a potential solution. Same with Staaker. But that one's not out yet.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots