DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone helped Swat team defused armed standoff

macoman

Reactions
Last year, Impossible Aerospace built a drone that’s literally filled with batteries, so it can fly for up to two hours on a charge. Now, the company says a 90-minute version of its US-1 quadcopter has proven its worth to a SWAT team in Campbell, California.

On February 8th, a Denny’s restaurant in Campbell was the site of a nearly 12-hour armed standoff, where a man started his 5am day with a cup of coffee but later pulled a gun on a Denny’s employee, according to an earlier report from the San Jose Mercury News. Apparently, the Silicon Valley cops had plenty of toys to help with the situation — police reportedly sent a bomb-sniffing robot inside the building to take pictures of the suspect, as well as using an “audible diversionary device.”

But it was the Impossible Aerospace drone that got an enviable vantage point above the building, where it flew for 45 minutes, using its thermal sensors and standard cameras to monitor the building’s perimeter and assist in the actual arrest.

Source: This drone helped a SWAT team defuse an armed standoff

Last edited:
You know that Denny's. I used to live within 2 1/2 miles of that location. I remember about 25 years ago I was there after 12 am after coming from the clubs and a guy was in there and picked up the cash register and wielded it as a weapon against the person collecting on checks. This guy was 3 sheets to the wind. Campbell PD was called and the guy ended up hog tied out on the front grass with the sprinklers running.

It was quite a show with my Moon over My Hammy. We could not stop laughing.

Another fun fact. Campbell Ca is only 5.9 Square miles. Has approximately 6,685.2 people per square mile. There are 29 employed police officers.

That town is notorious for calling in multiple backup units on simple traffic stops and not giving warnings. Its ticket , ticket , ticket...

I remember when they first started using radar cameras to capture pictures of front license plates of speeding vehicles. Remember this is a town of less than 40 K people and they have the funds to use expensive radar cameras on thier surface streets.

I came whipping past one of the radar cameras and it snapped a picture of me on my sportbike. I thought What the F was that!

Then made a right turn on Campbell Ave and a Cop on a mountain bike (no lie) rode directly across my path with his hand out and appeared to be yelling something. I had no clue he was trying to stop ME. I maneuvered right around him and continued. 2 Motorcycle Cops came up on each side of me and a marked patrol unit behind me. Lights and Sirens. I pulled over immediately.

Motor cop came up and started yelling in my face telling me to turn off the bike. I complied. The entire time he was yelling at me and demanding my license and registration - proof of insurance. I pulled them all out and proceeded to walk towards him to hand them to him. He yelled at me to get back and moved his hand towards his service weapon. I asked him how I was going to give him the documents. He leaned forward and snatched them from me.

Mountain Bike cop arrives after huffing and puffing he starts yelling at me "Why did'nt you stop" Told him I was unaware of what was going on as I just had a huge flash of light impair my vision to the point that I almost struck him.

They wanted to tag me with speeding AND eluding, but though better of it. Then issued a citation for speeding and lapse of insurance. I did not have my current insurance card and the one I had was outdated. Was I speeding ? Sure! Was I eluding - Hell No!

For a town this size they have a full on SWAT unit and salivate any time they get to use it. The town is upper middle class and all the ticket revenue goes into more toys that the SWAT team and other police officers can use. Drones sure. I am surprised they dont have heat seeking missiles by now. Hmm , perhaps they do?

I was pulled over so many times in that community that I just started going around it every chance I could. They literally chased me out of thier little militarized town.
Each LEO I encountered were puffed chest, little men in big shirts and huge A Holes.

Stay out of Campbell CA at all costs. People who live in Campbell , CA dont even want to drive in the town. LOL

Reactions: macoman
Holy cow... That town is tough. I would avoid to live in a town like that. Freedom is not a choice there.

It really isnt . I get that I was a young kid on an expensive sport bike and "appeared" to be thumbing my nose at thier authority now that I can look back in retrospect. Come on though! I became a quick target of what I would characterize as harassment.

They literally pick your pockets within the confines of the law. 5 miles over. No break - TICKET! No signal when making a turn - TICKET! Its all revenue driven so they can outfit themselves with the latest paramilitary gear.

Here is a Post from Brad A on Yelp
"Officer Gallagher? #49 issued a parking ticket for parking on the street, end spot during the Octoberfest event (I was volunteering) car was 2 feet beyond the line due to large vehicle in spot behind.. poor judgment/ excuse to generate revenue.. won't volunteer for Campbell again! "

Here is one from M T that points out officers lack of concern for the citizens of the community when it comes to non-revenue producing incidents.

"If I could do a formal complaint on officer Ghalleger and Wetzel I would. I've never met officers who were so rude and not protecting the civilians of Campbell. Ghalleger did nothing to help me with a vandalism case and he would Ignore my phone calls and voicemails for weeks. I would leave him multiple messages to give me an update on my case and he never called me back. When I spoke with another officer because my situation got worse, (thanks officer Ghalleger for doing your job, not!) they were shocked and surprised that officer Ghalleger did nothing to help me and my case. When I spoke with officer Wetzel he spoke down to me and talked to me like I was an idiot. He was rude and unhelpful. If they're so miserable and have no concern for the people and city of Campbell, maybe they shouldn't be cops. "

Reactions: macoman
I also lived in Campbell for few years and have been to that Denny’s. I have also been to Campbell a few hundred times over the course of living in the south bay for over 30 years. I have never experienced, nor anyone I know experienced any issue with the police there. Just my experience.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada