DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone hit a news helicopter

TheFoxSaysRingADingDing

Reactions
Link? I’ve seen the the pilot interviewed twice. At no time did he mention seeing red and green lights in either one.

Maybe that's due to the fact a reporter is reporting to what the pilot THOUGHT he MAY have seen

As per the LA Slimes

“My pilot thought he saw a flash, and it looks like it might have been the green-and-red light from a drone that might have caught the corner of his eye,” Cristi said.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-12-05/abcs-air7-hd-helicopter-struck-by-drone

Lets see what the FAA comes up w/ as fact and not just speculation to make a headline

Maybe that's due to the fact a reporter is reporting to what the pilot THOUGHT he MAY have seen

As per the LA Times

“My pilot thought he saw a flash, and it looks like it might have been the green-and-red light from a drone that might have caught the corner of his eye,” Cristi said.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-12-05/abcs-air7-hd-helicopter-struck-by-drone

Lets see what the FAA comes up w/ as fact and not just speculation to make a headline

^^^Best idea - waiting for the final FAA report!

One thing for sure; It wasn’t a bird because birds don’t have lights!

If it was a bird strike, there should be some residue left. Until the FAA report comes out, it's just speculation. I was skimming the Twitter feed of ABC reporter who posted the story and some responded with a YT video of a drone pilot flying his drone in Shanghai and landing it on a tower to reset the height limit. Judging by limited battery time, I'm guessing it was a Mavic Air.

I am having some trouble believing a drone did that damage and would not have been effected by the wind produced by the helicopter propellers.
Any object hitting a helicopter is going to cause significant damage. The size and speed of the object hitting the helicopter are immaterial, when compared the helicopter. The size and speed of the helicopter are what determined the amount of damage. It's purely an exercise of F = m * v.

I am having some trouble believing a drone did that damage and would not have been effected by the wind produced by the helicopter propellers.

This should help....

(Not my calcs I'm copy/pasting from a post on another forum from @sar104 )
*********** Start Quotation ************
Take an arbitrary helicopter - I'm choosing a Sikorsky UH-60, which has a maximum takeoff weight of 10,000 kg and a rotor diameter of 16.4 m, sweeping an area of 211 m².

To support its weight the downthrust has to be 100,000 N, and so the downward pressure below the rotors needs to be of the order of 500 N/m².

The cross-sectional area of a Phantom is around 0.25 m², and so the downward force on the Phantom would be, at most, 125 N.

Acting on a mass of 2 kg, that will yield a downward acceleration of 62.5 m/s².

The UH-60 flies at 150 knots (78 m/s), and so the time taken for even a stationary Phantom to pass the 16.4 m under the rotors, front to back, would be 0.2 s.

Applying the standard equations of motion, vertically, to the Phantom, it will be deflected downwards by 1.4 m in that time, not even nearly the height of the aircraft.

But, since the fuselage is positioned such that only around one half the length of a rotor blade extends ahead of it, the time that an incoming Phantom would be exposed to the downforce before striking the aircraft would be roughly one quarter of the estimate above - i.e. 0.05 s. In that time the deflection will be around 7 cm. Barely noticeable - it's still hitting the windshield.
*********** End Quotation ************

The Devil made me do it or now the drone made me do it , common sense goes a long ways if you are in an area where you are lucky enough the others let you fly,

Reactions: MJ224 and BigAl07
Any object hitting a helicopter is going to cause significant damage. The size and speed of the object hitting the helicopter are immaterial, when compared the helicopter. The size and speed of the helicopter are what determined the amount of damage. It's purely an exercise of F = m * v.

Just a minor point: F = m * dv/dt. The product of mass and velocity is momentum, not force, which is rate of change of momentum.

This should help....

(Not my calcs I'm copy/pasting from a post on another forum from @sar104 )
*********** Start Quotation ************
Take an arbitrary helicopter - I'm choosing a Sikorsky UH-60, which has a maximum takeoff weight of 10,000 kg and a rotor diameter of 16.4 m, sweeping an area of 211 m².

To support its weight the downthrust has to be 100,000 N, and so the downward pressure below the rotors needs to be of the order of 500 N/m².

The cross-sectional area of a Phantom is around 0.25 m², and so the downward force on the Phantom would be, at most, 125 N.

Acting on a mass of 2 kg, that will yield a downward acceleration of 62.5 m/s².

The UH-60 flies at 150 knots (78 m/s), and so the time taken for even a stationary Phantom to pass the 16.4 m under the rotors, front to back, would be 0.2 s.

Applying the standard equations of motion, vertically, to the Phantom, it will be deflected downwards by 1.4 m in that time, not even nearly the height of the aircraft.

But, since the fuselage is positioned such that only around one half the length of a rotor blade extends ahead of it, the time that an incoming Phantom would be exposed to the downforce before striking the aircraft would be roughly one quarter of the estimate above - i.e. 0.05 s. In that time the deflection will be around 7 cm. Barely noticeable - it's still hitting the windshield.
*********** End Quotation ************

The damage looks consistent with impact from a small drone. Less than was observed in the Dayton impact tests with a Phantom, although the helicopter will have been going slower. They are probably going to need some debris to get to a definitive conclusion on this one.

Reactions: Redleg and BigAl07
The damage looks consistent with impact from a small drone. Less than was observed in the Dayton impact tests with a Phantom, although the helicopter will have been going slower. They are probably going to need some debris to get to a definitive conclusion on this one.

I think your last statement is going to be the deciding factor... not UAS debris then our community is going to scream "Not a Drone". But, even if they don't find debris and if they can't determine for sure it was NOT a UAS then it will go down in the minds of John Q. Public (and Allen TBH) as a UAS strike. Once the story went out it's Guilty until proven otherwise.

I think your last statement is going to be the deciding factor... not UAS debris then our community is going to scream "Not a Drone". But, even if they don't find debris and if they can't determine for sure it was NOT a UAS then it will go down in the minds of John Q. Public (and Allen TBH) as a UAS strike. Once the story went out it's Guilty until proven otherwise.

I suspect that's correct - most people who saw this report will likely take away that it was obviously a drone, whether or not there ends up being unambiguous evidence either way. It appears to me that there is penetration damage on that leading edge, in which case there is likely to be something left of whatever impacted it inside the structure. The two separate damage areas are harder to explain - it makes me wonder if whatever hit bounced off the fuselage forward of the tail or was disrupted by a main rotor.

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji