DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone ID: The FAA's Stated Purpose. So WHY is the piblic given the right to view a Pilots location?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgmaxed

Reactions
From the FAA Website "The Remote Identification (Remote ID) rule provides for identifying drones in flight and the location of their control stations, reducing the risk of them interfering with other aircraft or posing a risk to people and property on the ground. The rule provides crucial information to our national security and law enforcement partners and other agencies charged with ensuring public safety. "

So WHY is the public given the right to view a Pilots location? It makes no sense to me. The FAA shouldn't be giving regular Joe Shmo Citizen the right to access our location and possibly take the law into their own hands. It's a recipe for disaster.

"...provides crucial information to our national security and law enforcement partners..." Citizens are not law enforcement, and our location is not crucial for citizens to know.

I'd like to send a copy of this to the right person in the FAA. Does anyone know the correct personnel to contact?

Reactions: Ridgeback65
The unencrypted signal must be broadcast to the public to get around wiretapping/eavesdropping laws which would otherwise bar surreptitious interception and tracking. If signal is broadcast publicly with your knowledge, those laws do not apply.
So WHY is the public given the right to view a Pilots location?

Reactions: BigAl07
The unencrypted signal must be broadcast to the public to get around wiretapping/eavesdropping laws which would otherwise bar surreptitious interception and tracking. If signal is broadcast publicly with your knowledge, those laws do not apply.
If the signal is encrypted and you have to use tools to hack the signal, that should be a very good clue that you are accessing private information. Everyone, at this point, should know that any communication you use can be obtained by law enforcement agencies. That doesn't mean that Joe Public should have open access to that info too.

BTW, I doubt the reason you give is the reason the FAA has allowed everyone to receive your information. The reason is that this system is already in use by aircraft around the world so they just added this to drones so current aircraft will not need to be updated to receive an encrypted ID signal.

That is my theory based on study of relevant law and several government publications. Without public access which defeats reasonable expectation of privacy, surreptitious tracking of drone and pilot locations and movements would be illegal under federal and many states own laws. But, if you have your own theory then by all means let’s hear it.

My theory is that the FAA hates drones and consider drone pilots from a minimum of "dangerous" all the way to "terrorist". They would *love* for Joe Public to be able to find out where the pilot is standing, so that ol' Joe can go confront / menace the pilot. That discourages pilots from flying, which is the FAA's goal.

But...that's just a theory.

Reactions: MiniBomber
My theory is that the FAA hates drones and consider drone pilots from a minimum of "dangerous" all the way to "terrorist". They would *love* for Joe Public to be able to find out where the pilot is standing, so that ol' Joe can go confront / menace the pilot. That discourages pilots from flying, which is the FAA's goal.

But...that's just a theory.
And what is your theory based on?

And what is your theory based on?
My theory is based on my reading and interpretation of nearly all the FAA rules, investigations, and findings since about 2012 that have to do with remotely piloted vehicles and their operators.

But I'm not bitter or anything! ?

So we have theories. But the FAA says, "agencies charged with PUBLIC safety." What are drone pilot's if not public citizens. What about our safety and the safety of the public that approaches us. They are contradicting themselves by allowing the location of the pilot to be public. This will increase chances of possible conflict between pilots and John Q Public. The FAA is setting us up for some possibly nasty encounters. It may take a while, but I wonder when those that shoot at drones, will decide to take pot shots at drone pilots. Anyway, I'm going to invest in Pepper Spray, Tazer, Kevlar Vest and Gun companies before the ID system goes into effect. Sarcasm? Well, A little, but I really do have to wonder what we will see in the news down the pike.

Reactions: Sully53
My theory is based on my reading and interpretation of nearly all the FAA rules, investigations, and findings since about 2012 that have to do with remotely piloted vehicles and their operators.

But I'm not bitter or anything! ?
That's not an answer, so let me repose the question - what did you learn from all that reading and interpretation to come to your conclusion? Presumably you have a cogent argument to support it.

This thread is closed!!!

You keep bringing this same topic up and it is the same old BS. RID is not even here yet, and you keep fretting over something that isn’t even happening.

If you have an issue with this thread being closed then contact Admin about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000