DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone insurance by the hour- who are you using?

jephoto

Reactions
Hi gang,

Chicago isn't the best place to fly between late November and spring. Not to say I haven't gotten some cool winter scenes, but mostly its cold as hell, biting wind and NOTpretty. So I've barley flown since last November.
Fired up the Mavic 3 a bit ago. May do some dusk flying. Was going through apps & getting familiar with procedures again and was dismayed to fine that Verifly who'd Id been using the past few years for hourly insurance when needed, is "retired"... No longer in the biz.

Who are you guys using for Liability insurance on demand. I don't have enough Drone work at the moment to need a yearly policy for $1,000. Still cost effective for me to just get it by the hour when I really need it.
I see there's one called Skywatch. Whats the word on them? Who uses it and is happy ... or not? And are there alternatives?
thanks!

I'd be interested in this, too. I have a Hartford policy through Hill and Usher that includes drone liability and theft and liability coverage for my non-drone cameras. It's $600. The only thing I really need is the drone liability.

Hi gang,

Chicago isn't the best place to fly between late November and spring. Not to say I haven't gotten some cool winter scenes, but mostly its cold as hell, biting wind and NOTpretty. So I've barley flown since last November.
Fired up the Mavic 3 a bit ago. May do some dusk flying. Was going through apps & getting familiar with procedures again and was dismayed to fine that Verifly who'd Id been using the past few years for hourly insurance when needed, is "retired"... No longer in the biz.

Who are you guys using for Liability insurance on demand. I don't have enough Drone work at the moment to need a yearly policy for $1,000. Still cost effective for me to just get it by the hour when I really need it.
I see there's one called Skywatch. Whats the word on them? Who uses it and is happy ... or not? And are there alternatives?
thanks!

Used to use Skywatch, but they changed underwriters and the cost went WAY up. I now use BWI Insurance company.

Reactions: Brian360
Now that Verifly is gone I’ll be using Airmodo too.
But I do wonder if anyone has had to actually make a claim with them yet- and how did that go?

I'd like the convenience of a monthly or annual policy. I thought SkyWatch was a bit much at $62/month, but I just created an account in AirModo and they quoted me $1093 per year. Ouch.

Oops...
Disregard. I needed to finish deleting my second drone (Mini2) from the AirModo list, then the annual cost dropped to $575.

I'd like the convenience of a monthly or annual policy. I thought SkyWatch was a bit much at $62/month, but I just created an account in AirModo and they quoted me $1093 per year. Ouch.

Oops...
Disregard. I needed to finish deleting my second drone (Mini2) from the AirModo list, then the annual cost dropped to $575.
This is a new thing with drone insurance, having to pay for liability insurance when the drone is sitting in a case. FAA regulations mandate 1 drone per pilot! Why are insurance companies charging per drone owned. Per the FAA you can only fly one so where is the liability for the others not flying? Complain to your insurance company.

Reactions: CadrePilot
This is a new thing with drone insurance, having to pay for liability insurance when the drone is sitting in a case. FAA regulations mandate 1 drone per pilot! Why are insurance companies charging per drone owned. Per the FAA you can only fly one so where is the liability for the others not flying? Complain to your insurance company.
Seems somewhat bizarre to me that they'd charge nearly double for the second, smaller drone, particularly since I clearly can only fly one at a time. The second drone doesn't increase the risk at all.

@mgphoto and @CadrePilot if you have multiple cars, motorcycles, houses etc you pay per unit regardless of use time. Why would UAS be any different? Think about it from the Insurance Co's viewpoint.

It's also important to note that some business (like ours) use more than one drone. By utilizing multiple drones you are increasing the risk (to the insurance company) by that same amount. In theory you could destroy multiple drones in a single day. So far I've only destroyed 1 per day but going to multiple sites a day it's very possible you could have an "incident" with more than one UAS and have multiple claims.

This is business liability insurance, maybe a fleet with multiple pilots, but a single operator? and if you are crashing multiple drones in a day you’re responsible not the entire business. I get discounts for multiple vehicles, I get mileage discounts, why is my backup I2, which has never left its case, have the same liability as the drone flying. Consumers are the losers. The liability in a home still exists even if you’re not there, a vehicle is always on the road and a possible hazard, even in a garage a vehicle can injure someone. A drone in a case could fall on someone, but you could argue the case is at fault not the drone, seems homeowner insurance would cover that, why am I forced to pay extra? You must be an insurance agent.

This is business liability insurance, maybe a fleet with multiple pilots, but a single operator? and if you are crashing multiple drones in a day you’re responsible not the entire business. I get discounts for multiple vehicles, I get mileage discounts, why is my backup I2, which has never left its case, have the same liability as the drone flying. Consumers are the losers. The liability in a home still exists even if you’re not there, a vehicle is always on the road and a possible hazard, even in a garage a vehicle can injure someone. A drone in a case could fall on someone, but you could argue the case is at fault not the drone, seems homeowner insurance would cover that, why am I forced to pay extra? You must be an insurance agent.

Did you even take the time to read my stats in my signature? An Insurance Agent? Not hardly but I have been a business owner/operator for decades.

If you're not going to be flying the drone then WHY would you bother insuring it? Maybe "just in case you fly it?" If you "could" be flying it then why would the Insurer not expect to be paid for the increased liability? I just don't see your logic from a business stand point.

I am a full-time UAS Service provider and do this for a living as opposed to "Beer $$". With that being said, if you "could" fly multiple drones in any given day why would you NOT expect to pay insurance similar for each one? Granted I could see (and appreciate) a bulk discount but they don't offer that so it's a non-issue.

I've been "doing this" Commercially since 2012 and I have yet to find a reputable aviation policy that will cover "additional UAS" without increasing the premium a proportional amount. Have you seen one that does or are you just voicing a Pipe Dream or something?

Reactions: Richie1027
Did you even take the time to read my stats in my signature? An Insurance Agent? Not hardly but I have been a business owner/operator for decades.

If you're not going to be flying the drone then WHY would you bother insuring it? Maybe "just in case you fly it?" If you "could" be flying it then why would the Insurer not expect to be paid for the increased liability? I just don't see your logic from a business stand point.

I am a full-time UAS Service provider and do this for a living as opposed to "Beer $$". With that being said, if you "could" fly multiple drones in any given day why would you NOT expect to pay insurance similar for each one? Granted I could see (and appreciate) a bulk discount but they don't offer that so it's a non-issue.

I've been "doing this" Commercially since 2012 and I have yet to find a reputable aviation policy that will cover "additional UAS" without increasing the premium a proportional amount. Have you seen one that does or are you just voicing a Pipe Dream or something?
Wow, that turned pretty personal, into a “yours is bigger than mine” argument “insurance agent” struck a nerve.
I could care less who you are. I’m glad you have no idea who I am. I’ll tell you 50+ years, I always have a backup camera with me.
Admin close this.
ps: in the real world the “beer money” comment would have gotten your nose broken.

Reactions: Drone_Zoned
Wow, that turned pretty personal, into a “yours is bigger than mine” argument “insurance agent” struck a nerve.

LOL! Not personal at all just giving a more logical side of the debate. If you don't like a debate maybe this forum isn't a good fit for you.

I could care less who you are. I’m glad you have no idea who I am. I’ll tell you 50+ years, I always have a backup camera with me.
Do you drive multiple cars? Insure EACH of them possibly?
If you're insuring your BU drone them I would imagine you're paying a premium for both aren't you?

Admin close this.
You're talking to an ADMIN and as I stated in my PM, that's not your call.

ps: in the real world the “beer money” comment would have gotten your nose broken.
PS: LOL! Whatever. :rolleyes:

Careful how you pick your next few words. Up until now no forum rules have been broken but if you keep down that path I can assure you it won't fair well.

This is a friendly banter/debate and we are going to keep it that way. PERIOD!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair