DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Insurance & Refresh?

Springerdog1

Reactions
I have coverage through my insurance provider on my Mavic 2. Is it really necessary to have the insurance and the DJI refresh?

Reactions: Iwan
This is a much debated question, but I’d hate to have my homeowner’s ins. Cancelled because of a drone claim.

I agree. My policy is with State Farm and it doesn't fall under homeowners. But I think it's all tied together.

Reactions: DonStrahl
I agree. My policy is with State Farm and it doesn't fall under homeowners. But I think it's all tied together.
At least they offer coverage to you. My SF agent said it wasn’t available in AZ.
Advantage of third party is not having to recover the drone, like if you lose it in deep water.

At least they offer coverage to you. My SF agent said it wasn’t available in AZ.
Advantage of third party is not having to recover the drone, like if you lose it in deep water.
How strange. I am in Scottsdale. I will verify it tomorrow.

Okay I know this has been debated and sliced up into many pieces. so State farm offers the insurance not as drone insurance it offers it as pap which is personal articles policy which is just the same as jewelry cameras and things like that. So if you lose your drone or it gets stolen it is like it's like you lost your jewelry or your jewelry got damaged somehow say in your house possibly a fire or something like that. So the first thing they will do is see if the loss is repairable or recoverable, and if that is not a possibility then they will reimburse the item in question.

So personally I do have State farm insurance pap policy. Originally I had a mavic pro and phantom 4 pro plus on that policy.
My mavic pro got attacked by a hawk and it went missing. I called up State farm and I told them the whole story and they decided to reimburse me for my mavic pro. At the time they gave me a check for the full value which was 999 for a new kit.
So I went out and bought a new mavic pro and I try to add it to my policy and they told me I could not. So at this point only my phantom 4 pro plus was on the policy and insured. They let me renew it the following year still covering the phantom 4 pro plus. They will not let me add anything new to this policy since they already paid out on part of it. So right now I'm hoping that if something happens to my phantom 4 pro plus that they will reimburse me which they should since I still have a policy in effect for the value of that. So that is my story on this and I would still recommend State farm to anybody that has a drone. I would also recommend that you get the djia refresh and when you get the opportunity to get the refresh plus I would go for that also because that is exactly what I did and I feel I'm doing fine and ahead of the game.

Okay I know this has been debated and sliced up into many pieces. so State farm offers the insurance not as drone insurance it offers it as pap which is personal articles policy which is just the same as jewelry cameras and things like that. So if you lose your drone or it gets stolen it is like it's like you lost your jewelry or your jewelry got damaged somehow say in your house possibly a fire or something like that. So the first thing they will do is see if the loss is repairable or recoverable, and if that is not a possibility then they will reimburse the item in question.

So personally I do have State farm insurance pap policy. Originally I had a mavic pro and phantom 4 pro plus on that policy.
My mavic pro got attacked by a hawk and it went missing. I called up State farm and I told them the whole story and they decided to reimburse me for my mavic pro. At the time they gave me a check for the full value which was 999 for a new kit.
So I went out and bought a new mavic pro and I try to add it to my policy and they told me I could not. So at this point only my phantom 4 pro plus was on the policy and insured. They let me renew it the following year still covering the phantom 4 pro plus. They will not let me add anything new to this policy since they already paid out on part of it. So right now I'm hoping that if something happens to my phantom 4 pro plus that they will reimburse me which they should since I still have a policy in effect for the value of that. So that is my story on this and I would still recommend State farm to anybody that has a drone. I would also recommend that you get the djia refresh and when you get the opportunity to get the refresh plus I would go for that also because that is exactly what I did and I feel I'm doing fine and ahead of the game.
Not 100% sure I understand your logic. So if you are covered on the State Farm why would you need refresh?

Reactions: Drgnfli
Not 100% sure I understand your logic. So if you are covered on the State Farm why would you need refresh?

Here’s the deal: When you file a claim, it’s noted on an industry ledger of sorts called your C.L.U.E. report.
The Comprehensive Loss Underwriting Exchange (C.L.U.E.) is a shared database insurance companies record claims on after you make them.
If you have too many claims on your C.L.U.E. report, other insurers will often treat that as a red light and may refuse to write you another policy for up to three years.

It’s a really classless act of so many insurers when the chips are down — no matter how they advertise — that they’re not there for you, So knowing that’s how the game is played, be careful. "per Clark Howard"

So what’s the solution? Clark says you should consider putting roadblocks in your own path to lessen the likelihood that you’ll make a claim in the first place.
I want you to think about at your next renewal raising your deductible as high as your insurer or your mortgage holder will permit you,” Clark says.
The benefit is actually twofold.
“That way, you don’t even think about making small claims, and you’re also in a position where you get lower [monthly] premiums because you have that higher deductible.”
By Clark’s estimation, homeowner’s insurance should only be used in the event of a significant and serious loss. You’ll have to decide how you define that in your life.

“The more you can self-absorb instead of making a claim the better off you’ll be.”

Here’s the deal: When you file a claim, it’s noted on an industry ledger of sorts called your C.L.U.E. report.
The Comprehensive Loss Underwriting Exchange (C.L.U.E.) is a shared database insurance companies record claims on after you make them.
If you have too many claims on your C.L.U.E. report, other insurers will often treat that as a red light and may refuse to write you another policy for up to three years.

It’s a really classless act of so many insurers when the chips are down — no matter how they advertise — that they’re not there for you, So knowing that’s how the game is played, be careful. "per Clark Howard"

So what’s the solution? Clark says you should consider putting roadblocks in your own path to lessen the likelihood that you’ll make a claim in the first place.
I want you to think about at your next renewal raising your deductible as high as your insurer or your mortgage holder will permit you,” Clark says.
The benefit is actually twofold.
“That way, you don’t even think about making small claims, and you’re also in a position where you get lower [monthly] premiums because you have that higher deductible.”
By Clark’s estimation, homeowner’s insurance should only be used in the event of a significant and serious loss. You’ll have to decide how you define that in your life.

“The more you can self-absorb instead of making a claim the better off you’ll be.”
According to State Farm if you were to file a claim for your drone it doesn't effect your Homeowners. Maybe I am missing something here?

Reactions: Carb63
According to State Farm if you were to file a claim for your drone it doesn't effect your Homeowners. Maybe I am missing something here?
I don't know. I am just parroting "Clark Howard" a consumer advocate. I think the same thing applies to any kind of claim - be it stolen jewelry, broken windows ...etc. They do keep up with your claims though.

Reactions: Springerdog1
My State Farm agent will not do a PAP policy unless it is wrapped into a homeowner's policy.
Which makes sense over here since a 100QsFt 2br 1ba goes for 350K around here.
They just want to make a buck.
And most likely a good thing too since post #10 is true.
Had a friend that covered his cameras.
Was a victim of a smash and grab and popped the trunk.
filed a $5K claim on the equipment
3 years later got everything ready to buy a house and no one would insure him because of that claim.

Yes, much larger than a drone claim but if you have frequent claims...

Is also have SF pap, in NY, and my agent stated they would cover my drone and accessories 100%. Policy only cost me $60 annually. He also stated it doesn’t affect my homeowners policy. It’s a separate policy.

State Farm will not write the pap on a drone registered as commercial with the FAA, so even if you are flying recreationally, they won’t insure it if it’s in your list of 107 drones.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ