DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone insurance

Ryanmini

Reactions
As a hobbyist not commercial just flying for pleasure is it worth getting drone insurance and public liability if it’s possible to, if it’s worth investing or not

Ryanmini here in the USA it is possible and definitely is worth it.

im from the UK so I don’t know if it’s any different, I have a Mavic mini if that changes anything

I am just in the process of re-insuring my mavic air 1 in the uk. Eversure Insurance. Last years premium £38. This years quote £ 114!!! Could not believe it. I did not accept it. They said it was because of a high number of drone claims. Shop around. Guess they do not want to insure drones!!!!!

I am just in the process of re-insuring my mavic air 1 in the uk. Eversure Insurance. Last years premium £38. This years quote £ 114!!! Could not believe it. I did not accept it. They said it was because of a high number of drone claims. Shop around. Guess they do not want to insure drones!!!!!
The cheapest insurance that I can find in Spain is €200 (£182).

As a hobbyist not commercial just flying for pleasure is it worth getting drone insurance and public liability if it’s possible to, if it’s worth investing or not
I can't say for the UK but here is the US - hull insurance yes. Liability - why? Have you ever heard of a lawsuit involving a drone?
It could happen but super low probability.

This is to just cover the drone, not 3rd party liability

While I don't have liability I got a personal property policy for up to $1000 (even if lost or stolen) for $60/year...I'll renew if they don't go up too much.

Last edited:
While I don't have liability I got a personal property policy for up to $2000 (even if lost or stolen) for $60/year...I'll renew if they don't go up too much.
If your insurance is not specifically for drones, its always worth checking with your insurance provider that it covers drone flying as many don’t.

This has been a thorn in my side for 6 months now. I got a quote from my current insurance company. It was close to $900/yr, and had a clause that I couldn't post photos or video to the internet... WHAT!?!??

I can get liability on the fly ... it's about $30/mission - assuming you pay them $10/mo to cover you when you're not flying.

I am absolutely 100% hobbyist - I've never taken a nickle for a photo or video, but I do have my Part 107 and am open to offers :+)

I would like liability insurance when my bird is in the air. Hull insurance later if I ever pop for a more expensive drone, or my care refresh drops off.

Meanwhile, I'll put this on loop

If your insurance is not specifically for drones, its always worth checking with your insurance provider that it covers drone flying as many don’t.
That's how the conversation started, I inquired about drone insurance and the agent had never heard a request for drone insurance.
She asked if she could get back with me and the next day told me it was no problem under a personal property policy.
She wanted all info on it, model, serial number, receipt etc so they do know it's a drone...that said it may be a totally different deal if I wanted liability.

That's how the conversation started, I inquired about drone insurance and the agent had never heard a request for drone insurance.
She asked if she could get back with me and the next day told me it was no problem under a personal property policy.
She wanted all info on it, model, serial number, receipt etc so they do know it's a drone...that said it may be a totally different deal if I wanted liability.
Ho yeah, think multiple pages of pdf to fill out with specifics about who you are, what aircraft you're flying, WHO's aircraft you're flying, WHO may be flying for YOU, and on and on and on. :)

Ho yeah, think multiple pages of pdf to fill out with specifics about who you are, what aircraft you're flying, WHO's aircraft you're flying, WHO may be flying for YOU, and on and on and on. :)
What do u mean, pages to fill out if I filed a claim?
According to the agent I'm covered if lost or stolen (incl from my house).
I gotta feeling that's not what you're talking about tho (implying it's not worth the effort due to the paperwork)

What do u mean, pages to fill out if I filed a claim?
According to the agent I'm covered if lost or stolen (incl from my house).
I gotta feeling that's not what you're talking about tho (implying it's not worth the effort due to the paperwork)
no - I'm still trying to find (liability) coverage that is acceptable to me

I think he meant if he also wanted liability insurance.
oh sorry, yeah for liability I would think they'd be much pickier and there would be a lot more paperwork.

While I don't have liability I got a personal property policy for up to $2000 (even if lost or stolen) for $60/year...I'll renew if they don't go up too much.
I have state farm insurance and it costs me $45 per year which includes complete replacement and I don’t have to produce the mini to collect. I am not sure if you can find it where are you live, but it’s definitely worth it for me. Best wishes.

Reactions: Weazel
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji