DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Law in Japan

halley

Reactions
There have been some knuckleheads flying around, buzzing, and crashing into sensitive historical sites in Japan the past few years. Just this month, some "foreigners" crashed into the most famous of Japan castles, even after having been warned off. This kind of situation has led to a similar crackdown on RC and drone piloting, similar to other places. Given the way law enforcement works in Japan, it's good to know the rules for flying.

Current Law on Drones and UAV's in Japan

It's surprisingly permissive, given the circumstances. You can fly in many places, just stay out of the cities and don't be reckless.

Reactions: Slat
So jealous, I go to Japan every year or so and was torn on taking my Phantom 4 this year (April) but decided against it due its bulk/weight and the laws.
I'd have no problems taking the Mavic (perfect travel drone).
As it turned out there would have only been 2 places I could have flown anyway... Takayama and Iwakuni.
Quite a lot of places had NO DRONES signs so I guess they're pretty common although I didn't see any.

There have been some knuckleheads flying around, buzzing, and crashing into sensitive historical sites in Japan the past few years. Just this month, some "foreigners" crashed into the most famous of Japan castles, even after having been warned off. This kind of situation has led to a similar crackdown on RC and drone piloting, similar to other places. Given the way law enforcement works in Japan, it's good to know the rules for flying.

Current Law on Drones and UAV's in Japan

It's surprisingly permissive, given the circumstances. You can fly in many places, just stay out of the cities and don't be reckless.
Careful the mods don't like name calling even if your correct

I go to Japan every year or so and was torn on taking my Phantom 4 this year (April) but decided against it due its bulk/weight and the laws.

Also when traveling internationally, remember that each country has its own radio laws. You could get into some strange legal situations if the radio equipment isn't certified or uses the wrong frequency bands. I left a ton of US RC gear in the US because even though I'm FCC licensed there, it doesn't necessarily translate here.

Reactions: deltalimatango

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000