DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone laws in Florida

liquidxtc13

Reactions
Hey guys!

I'll be flying to Sarasota, Florida on Sunday for my summer vacation and of course my Mavic has do accompany me ;-) I've already talked to the airline (Air Berlin) - I'm allowed to take my drone in the checked luggage and can take two batteries with me in my carry-on luggage.

I'm wondering if there are any specific rules that apply to the US, or specifically Florida that differ from the one's that are in place here in Germany. As far as I'm aware the rules in Germany are pretty strict, so naturally I would say if I stick to those, I should be fine?

Max altitude of 100metres, mostly flying in VLOS, don't fly over accidents, police or military operations, no flying over government buildings/schools/etc. or gatherings. Anything I've forgotten? Any tips?

For the most part I'm planning on flying along the beach and coast, sunset pictures, stuff like that - nothing fancy. Anything specific I have to take into account? Any tips are appreciated :)

Cheers,
Liquid

119 meters max alt. limit; that's 400 feet. Do not fly within 5 miles of an airport, which should not be a problem in Sarasota. You are not allowed to fly in Florida State Parks for some reason. I hate that rule. Funny enough, the law prohibits aircraft from taking off or landing in or from a State Park, but does not prohibit it from flying over! This also shouldn't be too much of a problem in Sarasota, unless you go to Mayakka State Park. Which...you should.

EDIT: There actually is an airport in Sarasota (SRQ). It is Class C airspace. You will need permission from Air Traffic Control to operate within 5 miles of this airport. You can call them at (941) 359-5200 Outside the 5 mile radius, Class C airspace does not being until 1200 ft or 365 meters, for this airport.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elton Hammonds
Thank you for your fast reply!
So if I read the map correctly and I understand you correctly I should be able to fly outside the inner blue circle if I stay below 1200ft ?
View media item 971
And if I want to fly within the inner blue circle I will have to contact ATC at Sarasota?

Thanks for the phone number and especially thanks for the tip to visit Mayakka SP ;-)

Unless your flying with a 107 you'll have to remain 5 miles from the airport without authorization. This map works good for commercial or recreational. Sarasota also has a class e surface extension.

AirMap.io

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 75
How much bad information can be in one thread?

If you are flying as a hobby you can fly within 5 miles of any airport so long as you _notify_ the tower and airport owner. You don't need permission and it's not a blanket ban based on the type of airport. 400' is an FAA recommendation, not a regulation.

Don't fly over groups of people. I suspect you may find that the people who live in Sarasota will tend to not like drones due to privacy issues. So you want to keep that in mind.

With that said, I doubt you'd get into trouble for flying beyond VLOS or if you did not call small heliports. I would call all actual airports with planes.

It's true the rules are fairly lax for hobbyists. I have a part 107 license, so I feel a little more obligated to go by the books.

Honestly if you're flying like 200 ft high around the beaches in Sarasota, you'll be fine. I personally would reccomend you take your Mavic down to the southern point of Crescent Beach on Siesta Key...beautiful rocks there. That's rare in Florida. Also, a little further north on the Key is Siesta Key Beach, which is this year's best beach on America.

That's rare in Florida.
Except in the Keys! Here, all our 'beaches' are imported. D :D :D

Sunsets are spectacular on the West Coast. Make sure to head into the swamps a bit to get some gator footage.

How much bad information can be in one thread?

If you are flying as a hobby you can fly within 5 miles of any airport so long as you _notify_ the tower and airport owner. You don't need permission and it's not a blanket ban based on the type of airport. 400' is an FAA recommendation, not a regulation.

Don't fly over groups of people. I suspect you may find that the people who live in Sarasota will tend to not like drones due to privacy issues. So you want to keep that in mind.

With that said, I doubt you'd get into trouble for flying beyond VLOS or if you did not call small heliports. I would call all actual airports with planes.

Thanks for this. Im a soon to be new drone owner and I am having a hell of a time finding the actual regulations for hobbyist drone owners and not just recommendations. The FAA even still has the "Must Register" section still up on their before you fly section.

Is there any site or post that has the actual federal regulations (not recommended guidelines) for hobbyist listed?

119 meters max alt. limit; that's 400 feet. Do not fly within 5 miles of an airport, which should not be a problem in Sarasota. You are not allowed to fly in Florida State Parks for some reason. I hate that rule. Funny enough, the law prohibits aircraft from taking off or landing in or from a State Park, but does not prohibit it from flying over! This also shouldn't be too much of a problem in Sarasota, unless you go to Mayakka State Park. Which...you should.

EDIT: There actually is an airport in Sarasota (SRQ). It is Class C airspace. You will need permission from Air Traffic Control to operate within 5 miles of this airport. You can call them at (941) 359-5200 Outside the 5 mile radius, Class C airspace does not being until 1200 ft or 365 meters, for this airport.

It is not state parks that you are not allowed to take off or land from but in fact it is all national parks. You are prohibited from taking off, landing in, and operating from within the boundaries of any national park. You can however, as long as you can maintain VLOS fly over the national park from outside the parks boundaries as long as you are not in a no fly zone or within 5 miles from any airport or helipad. Each County will most likely have their own parks as well and will have their own set of rules so check with the county you will be flying in to make sure drones are allowed in the county parks. If you are within 5 miles from either of those you must first contact air traffic control for the airport or the helipad and inform them of where you will be flying and get authorization. One other thing in order to fly recreationally here in the US you must register your drone with FAA if it weighs between 0.55lbs and 55lbs.

It is not state parks that you are not allowed to take off or land from but in fact it is all national parks. You are prohibited from taking off, landing in, and operating from within the boundaries of any national park. You can however, as long as you can maintain VLOS fly over the national park from outside the parks boundaries as long as you are not in a no fly zone or within 5 miles from any airport or helipad. Each County will most likely have their own parks as well and will have their own set of rules so check with the county you will be flying in to make sure drones are allowed in the county parks. If you are within 5 miles from either of those you must first contact air traffic control for the airport or the helipad and inform them of where you will be flying and get authorization. One other thing in order to fly recreationally here in the US you must register your drone with FAA if it weighs between 0.55lbs and 55lbs.

I was at a local state park in South Carolina last week and I went into the office to ask the Ranger on duty if I was allowed to fly she had no idea of any rules? Air map said it was ok but I asked anyway I figured if I ask the person with the badge in charge that day and they were wrong it’s on them! For not knowing the rules and regulations being they are supposed to enforce those rules!

It is not state parks that you are not allowed to take off or land from but in fact it is all national parks. You are prohibited from taking off, landing in, and operating from within the boundaries of any national park.

Florida State Parks (and any other state parks) are not National Parks and not part of the U.S. National Park Service.

Florida State Parks (and any other state parks) are not National Parks and not part of the U.S. National Park Service.

Please reread my statement..."It is not state parks that you are not allowed to take off or land from but in fact it is all national parks. You are prohibited from taking off, landing in, and operating from within the boundaries of any national park." Florida state parks are different than National Parks. Just because a park is in Florida does not make it a state park and there are in fact National Parks in the state of Florida. It is illegal to take off, land in, or operate from within the boundaries of these NATIONAL parks. Each state park and each county or city park may have their own set of rules. In my FL county, Broward County, there are only 2 parks from which you are allowed to fly. One is Markham Park in Sunrise Florida, and the other is Vista View Park in Davie Florida but only if you are member of the aviation club that operates out of that park. You can however fly over ANY park from OUTSIDE of the parks so long as you maintain a VLOS.

Hey guys!

I'll be flying to Sarasota, Florida on Sunday for my summer vacation and of course my Mavic has do accompany me ;-) I've already talked to the airline (Air Berlin) - I'm allowed to take my drone in the checked luggage and can take two batteries with me in my carry-on luggage.

I'm wondering if there are any specific rules that apply to the US, or specifically Florida that differ from the one's that are in place here in Germany. As far as I'm aware the rules in Germany are pretty strict, so naturally I would say if I stick to those, I should be fine?

Max altitude of 100metres, mostly flying in VLOS, don't fly over accidents, police or military operations, no flying over government buildings/schools/etc. or gatherings. Anything I've forgotten? Any tips?

For the most part I'm planning on flying along the beach and coast, sunset pictures, stuff like that - nothing fancy. Anything specific I have to take into account? Any tips are appreciated :)

Cheers,
Liquid
This may help
http://statedronelaw.com/state/

Hey guys!

Cheers,
Liquid

Last month I went to Melbourne, FL, brought my Mavic & batteries in my carry on, no issues. I flew it a few times with no issues.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme