DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

drone laws to change

demaske1

Reactions
Hi I have been looking to purchase a new Mavic 2 pro and have completed the new CAA online test here in the UK no problem but been told by a supplier that the Mavic 2 Pro will not conform to legislation in Dec/Jan later this year as it will be too heavy and need to wait for a lighter drone or if i Purchase one will have to then take a course or test later on when the rules change.
As I will be an infrequent user I don't really want to do this. Does anyone know if this is correct and the laws are about to change ? Other suppliers said it was rubbish and no such thing has been mentioned. As the Mavic 2 is now coming down in price considerably is this one of the reasons why i wonder. Your help would be appreciated. Thanks Karl.

As I understand it, there are currently no drones available that will conform to the new regs.
The regs stipulate that the drones will have to bear a CE mark to indicate the class it conforms to. There were hopes expressed that DJI would be able to list the current legacy drones we all have in the relevant class retrospectively but the CAA have shot that idea down.
I do wonder if this is why DJI are delaying the rumoured MP3? If not there’s little point in buying a new drone, unless you need to, as it won’t conform.

Reactions: Stephenaj
The rules for operation web 1 Jan 2021 are here:

CAP1789 Edition3 June2020 cor.pdf

They are somewhat complex; however, I believe that the M2 Pro will operate in the Open Category subcategory A3. The rules also state:

Legacy’ unmanned aircraft (those that do not hold a class marking and were placed on the market before 1 January 2023) may be used indefinitely in the Open category:
    • If less than 250g – within the subcategory A1 (fly over people) limits listed in Part A of the Annex
    • If less than 25kg – within the subcategory A3 limits (fly far from people) listed in Part A of the Annex

So as I read it you should be fine buying the M2 Pro. A transitional period, as mentioned earlier, doesn't really apply as it will be a "legacy" aircraft.
Hope this helps

Reactions: Meta4
Hi guys! I'm newbie with a Mavic 2 Pro and PfCO in place. I've seen your tests and flights and some of them are quite "against the law" :) . Am I too careful/paranoid :) or...? It's not... very allowed to fly over congested areas and I've seen this here. It's not... very allowed to fly closer or over than 5m of people (at low speed) and I've seen this here, you must keep the drone in VLOS ALWAYS, and here is not always. Ok, most of your drones are in the under 2kg categories but... just asking, because I'm a bit anxious when I want to fly, wondering if I'm doing the right thing. The question is... if you crash the drone and you have to report it, doesn't this get you in troubles? Another thing... what kind of insurance have you got? I've got the DJI Refresh too but is this enough? What if your drone choses to crash on someone's car and scratches it? Just questions in my head. Don't judge me but help. Thanks! :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser