DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Liability Insurance -- USA

Chaosrider

Reactions
Can any of you recommend a good company for drone liability insurance in the USA?

A quick web search didn't provide an obvious solultion.

Thx,

TCS

Reactions: RUFFSTUFF
State Farm, Umbrella Policy. Covers liability greater than an AMA membership, and does not require that the flying be at some event. However, it does not cover commercial use.

I believe you recentlly mentioned in another thread about wanting to start a drone-related business. If you want insurance for business purposes, you'll get better answers if you mention that here. For strictly hobby flying, I like RadioFlyerMan's suggestion to check out what your homeowner's liability policy may cover, as well as looking into AMA.

I have a professional photographer's policy from The Hartford, through the Hill & Usher agency. They sold me a UAV liability insurance rider for somewhere around $200 a year (in addition to the $500 for the regular policy). It covers only $250,000 liability, which is not much these days. Presumably you could get more for a higher price. It does not cover and loss of the drone. There are also policies from several companies that you can buy on a per-flight basis.

Reactions: Xitor and Ron-EP
Here is the best policy/provider I researched when I was shopping. This is the AMA’s carrier for commercial droners.
Patt Pierce, 402 861-7029. Unlimited number of aircraft, at no additional charge.

Reactions: PixelMagic
Received this Quote yesterday from State Farm

POLICY PREMIUM
Premium: $386.00
Total Annual Premium: $386.00

Coverages Cov applies Limit Premium
Coverage B - Business Personal Property
Replacement Cost
Loc 1 $10,000
Loss of Income and Extra Expense Per Policy 12 Months Actual Loss Sustained
Coverage L- Business Liability-Per Occurrence $1,000,000
Coverage L- Business Liability-General Aggregate $2,000,000
Products/Completed Operations Liability-Annual Aggregate $2,000,000
Damage to Premises Rented to You $300,000
Coverage M - Medical Expenses $5,000
POLICY DEDUCTIBLES
Deductible Amount
Basic Deductible $500
Equipment Breakdown $500
Money and Securities $250

I believe you recentlly mentioned in another thread about wanting to start a drone-related business. If you want insurance for business purposes, you'll get better answers if you mention that here. For strictly hobby flying, I like RadioFlyerMan's suggestion to check out what your homeowner's liability policy may cover, as well as looking into AMA.
Don't ask USAA - I checked them and they said no.

If you are flying for recreational purposes, I recommend AMA, you also get access to their flying fields :)

Reactions: MARK (LI)
State Farm, Umbrella Policy. Covers liability greater than an AMA membership, and does not require that the flying be at some event. However, it does not cover commercial use.
I'll definitely want to go commercial at some point, so I should probably just bite that bullet.

My brain is full from all of the rules around this, and the different interpretations of various issues. I need to get that a little more sorted out in my head before going that route.

Thx,

TCS
I have a professional photographer's policy from The Hartford, through the Hill & Usher agency. They sold me a UAV liability insurance rider for somewhere around $200 a year (in addition to the $500 for the regular policy). It covers only $250,000 liability, which is not much these days. Presumably you could get more for a higher price. It does not cover and loss of the drone. There are also policies from several companies that you can buy on a per-flight basis.
Yeah, $250K is a little light. Ideally I'd like $1M. I've heard about the "per flight" policies. Do you know any specific companies that offer them?

Thx!

TCS
Received this Quote yesterday from State Farm

POLICY PREMIUM
Premium: $386.00
Total Annual Premium: $386.00

Coverages Cov applies Limit Premium
Coverage B - Business Personal Property
Replacement Cost
Loc 1 $10,000
Loss of Income and Extra Expense Per Policy 12 Months Actual Loss Sustained
Coverage L- Business Liability-Per Occurrence $1,000,000
Coverage L- Business Liability-General Aggregate $2,000,000
Products/Completed Operations Liability-Annual Aggregate $2,000,000
Damage to Premises Rented to You $300,000
Coverage M - Medical Expenses $5,000
POLICY DEDUCTIBLES
Deductible Amount
Basic Deductible $500
Equipment Breakdown $500
Money and Securities $250
Thanks to you and PHZ!

I'll give both of these a shot.

It sounds like I should be able to get what I'm looking for under $500, which will be just great.

:)

TCS

Whats wrong with AMA’s $75 full membership?

Last edited:
Reactions: MARK (LI)
…Yeah, $250K is a little light. Ideally I'd like $1M. I've heard about the "per flight" policies. Do you know any specific companies that offer them?…
I thought I had previously gotten per-flight offers through airmap’s app when requesting LAANC clearance, but it doesn’t seem to be there this morning.

UAV Coach has an insurance overview:
Drone Insurance Guide: How to Get Liability & Hull Coverage

(I am not affiliated with either co. except as a user)

PS. There are links to related posts at the bottom of this page!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute