DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone lost signal in Follow-Me Mode

nomadwolf360

Reactions
Hey all,

This is my first post here - apologize if this is the wrong place.

I bought a Mavic Pro about a month ago and have had some ups-and-downs, but overall, it's been fun. Had a unique issue yesterday that I could use some advice on.

I was doing a cross-country ski and decided to try the "Follow Me" Intelligent mode. I flew the drone into the air about 200 feet above me to be sure it cleared all trees, put the remote and attached phone in my backpack and skied. The drone followed perfectly and shot some cool footage for about five minutes.

And then it just suddenly stopped following. I didn't touch anything. The drone just hovered in place. Upon trying to land it, I found the controls very limited. Up and down and the yaw worked, but forward and backwards (left stick) did not work at all and the left and right worked, albeit much slower than normal. (by this point I had taken it out of "Follow Me" mode).

Was able to land the drone in a clearing in the forest using the limited left and right and down. On my next flight, the drone seemed to fly fine.

Curious if anybody else has had this experience. Conditions were around 40° F and we were skiing thru dense tree cover.

Also was wondering how the heck you land the thing if you totally lose signal? Or are you just out of luck?

Thank you.

Check out your TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.

Also was wondering how the heck you land the thing if you totally lose signal?
The Mavic will auto initiate RTH three seconds after the remote controller signal is lost.

One possibility is it saw the sun and thought it was an obstacle. That could explain why it stopped and why your controls were wonky.

I think I figured it out using that flight log. I basically hit the maximum distance allowed to fly (230 Meters) from the starting point. So even though the drone was following the controller in my backpack, it was registering flight distance from the spot of take-off. Just need to change the maximum flight distance if I'm going to continue doing this type of thing.

Thanks for the tips all.

in case if this happens again, make sure to attach a gps tracker into the mavic to ensure its safeness.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143