DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Maker D.J.I. May Be Sending Data to China, U.S. Officials Say

The allegations could not be independently confirmed but you wonder!
Drone Maker D.J.I. May Be Sending Data to China, U.S. Officials Say
I don’t. As pointed out, above the article is old (2017), but is the type of article that might help sell the NYT.
I know they send data to their servers, but don’t know or care where they are since any contact with one location is easily synced or transferred to another. It’s a World Wide Web!
If they are spying on users, they can do it through their websites and store, their resellers, and all the online stores/auction sites where they sell

The allegations could not be independently confirmed but you wonder!
Makes you wonder what?
If you look at what's in DJI recorded flight data, there's not much I'd worry about them seeing.
Plus .. DJI don't get to see my flight data unless I choose to share it with them.
The story in an uninformed, paranoid beatup.
The claim that DJI drones and software may be sending sensitive information about American infrastructure back to China is laughable.

Read this for a little balance.
DJI Touts Report Saying It Doesn't Spy for China

Makes you wonder what?
If you look at what's in DJI recorded flight data, there's not much I'd worry about them seeing.
Plus .. DJI don't get to see my flight data unless I choose to share it with them.
The story in an uninformed, paranoid beatup.
The claim that DJI drones and software may be sending sensitive information about American infrastructure back to China is laughable.

Read this for a little balance.
DJI Touts Report Saying It Doesn't Spy for China
As I said before... the older article was to engage another group into buying the NYT

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Every single DJI drone collects data as to its whereabouts, attitudes, and incidents. It is stored internally. When you send a drone in for a repair, thats what DJI looks at. DJI is in China. The Chinese government can access any data from DJI at any time, unlike in the USA where it takes a grand jury subpoena or warrant. If we were to try doing to China what DJI is doing to us, there would be a war.

D.J.I. May Be Sending Data to China

Wrong, they might not be, THEY ARE and have been for a while. I trust the US Army to be my anti-malware informer.

My insurance company wanted me to install a device in my car so I could get an insurance discount. There were other reasons up their sleeve.

What was the device that the insurance company want to use . Here in Canada they follow the US a couple years behind

D.J.I. May Be Sending Data to China

Wrong, they might not be, THEY ARE and have been for a while. I trust the US Army to be my anti-malware informer.

My insurance company wanted me to install a device in my car so I could get an insurance discount. There were other reasons up their sleeve.
Yes they gave me one 4years ago... still in my desk drawer with no battery. Premium rose $5 USD/month

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
What was the device that the insurance company want to use . Here in Canada they follow the US a couple years behind

They claimed that it was so they could offer you discounts if you were a safe driver. Well, what if you were a speeder? Would you still get the discount? Nope, your rates would prob go up.

We humans are getting so used to companies knowing everything about us, that many of us just shrug our shoulders when a company asks for a social security number, DOB, or other personal and confidential information. Just off the top of my head, I can think of the cell phone company knowing who you call and how much time you spend on your phone. The electric company knows how much juice you use. Your homeowners insurance knows exactly what you net worth is, the IRS knows exactly how much you make.

As far as Im concerned, DJI has no business knowing where I am, how much I fly, and any other personal information, without which they would disqualify me from flying as in a necessary app update. They work for me, and not the other way around.

Reactions: chris1a and Drgnfli
They claimed that it was so they could offer you discounts if you were a safe driver. Well, what if you were a speeder? Would you still get the discount? Nope, your rates would prob go up.

We humans are getting so used to companies knowing everything about us, that many of us just shrug our shoulders when a company asks for a social security number, DOB, or other personal and confidential information. Just off the top of my head, I can think of the cell phone company knowing who you call and how much time you spend on your phone. The electric company knows how much juice you use. Your homeowners insurance knows exactly what you net worth is, the IRS knows exactly how much you make.

As far as Im concerned, DJI has no business knowing where I am, how much I fly, and any other personal information, without which they would disqualify me from flying as in a necessary app update. They work for me, and not the other way around.

Yea well I pay under $500 every six months on a Challenger and the next closest quote was $1500. You only have to use it for 1 insurance period, then send it back. You moderate yourself a little and then you save 30%+ for life. I literally bought my Mavic 2 Pro and Smart Controller with the money I saved in one year.

Last edited:
Reactions: RunnerGuy and Beeda
Yea well I pay under $500 every six months on a Challenger and the next closest quote was $1500. You only have to use it for 1 insurance period. You moderate yourself a little and then you save 30%+ for life. I literally bought my Mavic 2 Pro and Smart Controller with the money I saved in one year.
Good deal!
SF wanted us to use them forever per my agent. My wife elected not to do it also. Driving is wired in AZ. Posted streets at 45mph and traffic moves 55-60. Interested post 75 and at 85-90 mph I have people speeding by... just saying.
Glad yours makes it worthwhile.

Every single DJI drone collects data as to its whereabouts, attitudes, and incidents. It is stored internally. When you send a drone in for a repair, thats what DJI looks at. DJI is in China. The Chinese government can access any data from DJI at any time, unlike in the USA where it takes a grand jury subpoena or warrant. If we were to try doing to China what DJI is doing to us, there would be a war.
I've looked at hundreds of flight records and I haven't learned a thing about critical infrastructure from it.
I see that lots of people fly in parks, beaches, mountains, forests and their backyards.
I see that some fly high or far and some crash but still nothing spy worthy.

If China is hoping to gather worthwhile information, data from DJI drones would have to be one of the worst ways they could attempt to do it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ