DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Mapping (not really)

Gregdd

Reactions
Looking for a free drone mapping app. All I really want is to be able to take a grid of raw photos and I can stich them myself.

I have used DroneDeploy in the past and I just downloaded it and it says it is in 14 day trial mode. Does anyone know if the app will stop working completely after 14 days?

Looking for a free drone mapping app. All I really want is to be able to take a grid of raw photos and I can stich them myself.

I have used DroneDeploy in the past and I just downloaded it and it says it is in 14 day trial mode. Does anyone know if the app will stop working completely after 14 days?
The free trial is for DroneDeploy processing of the images that the DD app takes.
The app works normally years after the 14 day processing trial.

Reactions: Gregdd and BigAl07
We've used DroneDeploy for Flight Planning/Flight for a good while now and haven't paid a dime for that. We only pay when we upload images to combine.

MapsMadeEasy is another option with the same options as DD.

Reactions: Gregdd
Other members have mentioned great points.

A summary of mapping apps and software.

There are image acquisition apps that are installed on your device (Smart Controller or phone).
These tend to be either a part of you flight software (DJI Pilot, Autel Explorer) or can be downloaded and installed (Pix4D Capture, Drone Deploy, Maps Made Easy, DJI GS Pro). These tend to be free and as stated are for collecting your images. For some advanced options you may have to pay to unlock them.

Next you will need software to "stitch the maps". These are Structure from Motion photogrammetry applications that do not run on your device (phone, Smart Controller). These tend to be either subscription based (monthly, annually), Perpetual License or Pay as You Go. Examples being Drone Deploy, Pix4D, Agisoft Metashape, Reality Capture, WebODM.

Of the above photogrammetry software their payment methods are:

Drone Deploy: Subscription based with different plans for your needs
Pix4D: Subscription based with different plans, other software products and a Perpetual License
Agisoft Metashape: Perpetual Licenses
Reality Capture: Pay as you go, Perpetual License
Maps Made Easy: Free processing for small maps, subscription plans and Pay as you Go
WebODM: Free

Another factor is whether you will use the software installed on your computer or if you will use the software's cloud options.

If you go with processing on your computer, be sure to have a computer up to the task. These software programs tend to need a good processor, a lot of RAM and a discrete GPU, and an SSD drive helps too.

If using cloud options, know that if the cloud software fails processing or has issues with the outputs, you will not be able to address the underlying factors that caused this. With desktop processing you do have a chance to fix issues, but in the end, improperly obtained images will cause failed processing regardless of whether you use cloud or desktop processing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11