DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Newbie - HELP!

mosh

Reactions
Hi All,

Ive always wanted a drone but could never stomach the price tags. I’m in a position to now purchase one and after much binge’in on YouTube I’ve concluded I would like the MA2.

Now I was very close to hitting the purchase button but then came across some rules and regulations videos on YouTube which put a damper on the purchase.

The information out there is quite overwhelming for a newbie. I have registered with CAA and obtained both operator and flyer ID and that’s as far as it goes.

Having read through many posts on here I’m still unsure where I would fit in with a MA2 come the new rules. I don’t have any expectations to be flying for money and simply want it for a hobby.

I live in a built area street after street and feel like I’m already restricted. Can someone please give me a dummies guide or point me in the right direction of all these categories I’m absolutely baffled. I don’t want to purchase something that I will not be able to use in a couple years or even straight after new rules are implemented.

Out of curiosity how would someone be caught flying in a built area? How is this even monitored? I have no intention of doing daft things but it’s quite unfair your limited where you can fly providing your not reckless.

Thanks in advance

Reactions: Ken.
Welcome and thank you for what I think is a good questions.
How would you be caught flying in a built up area?
A passing copper, a crashed-found-&-reported-registered-drone, malicious or annoyed neighbours/members-of-the-public, posting videos of overflights on youtube. I am sure there are plenty of other ways but those are first thoughts. Besides, I'd bet the authorities could, if they really wanted to, trace at least the person who activated a new and recovered DJI drone irrespective of whether or not it bears CAA registration..
If you think about it, the rule banning built up area overflights is for everyone's protection, the public's and yours. Yes it restrict you BUT..
If something happened and your drone fell and hit a kid playing in the street (do they still do that?) or garden how are you going to feel and what are you going to do if a prop hit their eyes? Ditto hitting a car or solar panel, can you afford to pay for damage and consequences. Likewise if a dog goes for your drone whilst your drone is near their master and gets injured, could you afford the vet bills?
To be honest it just seems common sense to me to not fly over a built up area, in fact anywhere over where there could be "3rd party" consequences.

We all live in 'anticipation' of the forthcoming rules and I am sure their are many with your concerns, myself included, so I for one welcome your question and the hopeful answers

Last edited by a moderator:
welcome to the forum ,this issue is the same for all of us who own whats known as legacy drones ,but nothing is going to happen till November,and even then we will still be able to fly as we do now ,we cant fly over built up areas even now i have to travel to fly my drones ,and that has always been the rule since the drone code was introduced ,i have no interest in flying over where i live and would much rather find some remote secluded area to fly in so things wont change much from my viewpoint

Thanks for the replies guys. I agree with most of your points in terms of safety.

So going back to the new regulations on their way. How will this impact me as hobby user? I don’t understand the whole categories and further qualifications and legacy drone? Can someone please shed some light. Apologies if it has been answered in other threads. Quite a bit on this website didn’t know where to start.

Thanks for the replies guys. I agree with most of your points in terms of safety.

So going back to the new regulations on their way. How will this impact me as hobby user? I don’t understand the whole categories and further qualifications and legacy drone? Can someone please shed some light. Apologies if it has been answered in other threads. Quite a bit on this website didn’t know where to start.
Go to the CAA website and search for CAP1789, this concerns the new proposed regs due in two years. Also, search for UAVHUB on YouTube, lots of vids explains new regs in lay mans terms.
As a new flier, it might be advise able to consider joining the British Model Flying Assosciation, (BMFA). They charge £33 per year, but it includes £25million of public liability insurance, in the off chance you may cause damage to goods or persons whilst flying. Also, they have an agreement with CAA for certain waivers, and are trying to gain more freedom in the new regs due out. I think it is very worthwhile joining, I've been a member for three years.
Happy flying!

Last edited:
welcome to the forum ,this issue is the same for all of us who own whats known as legacy drones ,but nothing is going to happen till November,and even then we will still be able to fly as we do now ,we cant fly over built up areas even now i have to travel to fly my drones ,and that has always been the rule since the drone code was introduced ,i have no interest in flying over where i live and would much rather find some remote secluded area to fly in so things wont change much from my viewpoint
OMM, slightly off subject but been meaning to ask - which area of Wales do you fly in?
Regards, old man Ron!

Reactions: old man mavic
Go to the CAA website and search for CAP1789, this concerns the new proposed regs due in two years. Also, search for UAVHUB on YouTube, lots of vids explains new regs in lay mans terms.
As a new flier, it might be advise able to consider joining the British Model Flying Assosciation, (BMFA). They charge £33 per year, but it includes £25million of public liability insurance, in the off chance you may cause damage to goods or persons whilst flying. Also, they have an agreement with CAA for certain waivers, and are trying to gain more freedom in the new regs due out. I think it is very worthwhile joining, I've been a member for three years.
Happy flying!
tried CAP1789 in the search and returned no results. Do you have a link you can forward?

OMM, slightly off subject but been meaning to ask - which area of Wales do you fly in?
Regards, old man Ron!
South Wales the Brecons mostly ,and the Rhonda Valleys,

Reactions: RonW
Hi All,

Ive always wanted a drone but could never stomach the price tags. I’m in a position to now purchase one and after much binge’in on YouTube I’ve concluded I would like the MA2.

Now I was very close to hitting the purchase button but then came across some rules and regulations videos on YouTube which put a damper on the purchase.

The information out there is quite overwhelming for a newbie. I have registered with CAA and obtained both operator and flyer ID and that’s as far as it goes.

Having read through many posts on here I’m still unsure where I would fit in with a MA2 come the new rules. I don’t have any expectations to be flying for money and simply want it for a hobby.

I live in a built area street after street and feel like I’m already restricted. Can someone please give me a dummies guide or point me in the right direction of all these categories I’m absolutely baffled. I don’t want to purchase something that I will not be able to use in a couple years or even straight after new rules are implemented.

Out of curiosity how would someone be caught flying in a built area? How is this even monitored? I have no intention of doing daft things but it’s quite unfair your limited where you can fly providing your not reckless.

Thanks in advance

You are ahead of me! I haven't done any of that yet, in fact I don't know how to, in fact how do you register if you don't have a helicopter to fly? How does one find this information out? I am a complete hightech reject. I used to fly radio control aircraft, 50 odd years ago, and I raced offshore powerboats too, radio controlled ones, my interest has been latent, lying dormant for half a century and in that time things have changed dramatically. I am still learning how to use google - badly. I seem to ask it the wrong questions because some of the answers I get bear no resemblance to the question asked. Not even the same subject!

Hi All,

Thanks in advance
Hi All,

I am also a brand new hobbyist looking into owning a drone. From a little research i understand that if you own a small lightweight drone such as the DJi Mini 2, some of the restrictions do not apply.

I would like to know more prior to purchasing. I am interested in both the DJi Mini 2 or the Mavic Pro 2 (When the 3 comes out) as hopefully the price drops.

I want to ensure i comply with any regulations as this will only be a hobby of mine and just want any trouble.

Any tips, advice or pointers to information will be appreciated.

I have seen some info' about drone classification C0 or C1 but nothing which describes what type of drones fall into each category.

since the start of 2021 all drones are now classed by weight and what damage they could inflict if they contacted a person or object ,there are also different categories ,of flight risk that a particular drone would pose during use ,the up to 250g drones such as the MM have the least restrictions as of now, but the C rated Class of drones are not yet available as they have not been made yet ,when they do come online, they will have additional safety measures built in to them to enable them to be flown with less separation from uninvolved people, and will have to carry a C rating that the manufacturer ,has demonstrated ,to the CAA that they are compliant with the new ratings ,these changes do not mean that if you purchase a light weight drone ,that you can just fly where, or as you like you still have to follow the drone code ,

Reactions: ndudd1980
Hi All,

I am also a brand new hobbyist looking into owning a drone. From a little research i understand that if you own a small lightweight drone such as the DJi Mini 2, some of the restrictions do not apply.

I would like to know more prior to purchasing. I am interested in both the DJi Mini 2 or the Mavic Pro 2 (When the 3 comes out) as hopefully the price drops.

I want to ensure i comply with any regulations as this will only be a hobby of mine and just want any trouble.

Any tips, advice or pointers to information will be appreciated.

I have seen some info' about drone classification C0 or C1 but nothing which describes what type of drones fall into each category.
Welcome to the forum. As OMM says, the new rules are all about safety. Essentially, the bigger the drone, the more damage it can do. The best sources of guidance are a CAA document known as CAP 722 (you can Google it but its a lengthy read) or YouTube. There are plenty of videos on YT that explain the new rules. If you do purchase a drone then consider taking the A2 CofC course and exam... I recommend the one run by UAVHUB; I used them and they are great. You’ll learn a lot and you’ll gain a certificate valid for 5 years that will grant you greater flexibility when the new C class drones come out.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS