DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone newbie in Minneapolis

semmelbroesel

Reactions
Hi.

I have liked RC helicopters for years - I own a few (very cheap) ones, most of them too cheap to hold their position in a room without moving air.

Earlier this year, I bought a cheap $70 drone to see if I'd like it - same thing, the tiniest bit of wind will blow it away - but it was enough to wet my appetite, so now I have a Mavic 2 Pro coming this week. Excited!

I've done a lot of research already on the rules and everything, and my biggest issue so far has been trying to find a location to fly. It looks like all the best and most beautiful locations have rules against drones - at least against taking off and landing in the park.

If anyone has suggestions on places not too far from Minneapolis where it is OK to fly, I'd appreciate it.

I'd love to say "Let's meet up and fly together", but that will have to wait until ... you know ... Crossing my fingers for late 2021 but not holding my breath.

Otherwise I'm a musician who does various computer work for money (used to do tech support and web development, now my job is to make the lives of programmers easier by preparing automation and testing for their applications).

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum! :)

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland semmelbroesel.

Hopefully you'll be able to fly around a couple of the 10,000 Lakes that Minnesota has to offer and share it with us.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Hi, indeed welcome here and congrats on your new hobby.
No comparison to your rc helicopters you will soon find!
It's like comparing driving a soap box to a mercedes.
I am sorry but as I am from the Netherlands I could not give any sound advice where to fly legally.
But the suggestion about those lakes sounds good to me.
I understand no fly in state parcs on your side of the big water.
I am sure curious to see your pics and vids.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Ruud

Welcome to the forums - a lot of good info here. So, take a look around and hope you enjoy some of the fine photography and information posted by the members.

Also, if you haven't done so yet, consider getting the AirMap and KittyHawk apps. I also suggest this Visualize it: See FAA UAS Data on a Map

Welcome to the forum. You will find helpful advice and support here. We look forward to your participation and seeing your part of the world.

Hi.

I have liked RC helicopters for years - I own a few (very cheap) ones, most of them too cheap to hold their position in a room without moving air.

Earlier this year, I bought a cheap $70 drone to see if I'd like it - same thing, the tiniest bit of wind will blow it away - but it was enough to wet my appetite, so now I have a Mavic 2 Pro coming this week. Excited!

I've done a lot of research already on the rules and everything, and my biggest issue so far has been trying to find a location to fly. It looks like all the best and most beautiful locations have rules against drones - at least against taking off and landing in the park.

If anyone has suggestions on places not too far from Minneapolis where it is OK to fly, I'd appreciate it.

I'd love to say "Let's meet up and fly together", but that will have to wait until ... you know ... Crossing my fingers for late 2021 but not holding my breath.

Otherwise I'm a musician who does various computer work for money (used to do tech support and web development, now my job is to make the lives of programmers easier by preparing automation and testing for their applications).
Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio USA! Enjoy your new Mavic 2 Pro, Fly safe and have fun!

Hi from beautiful,sunny,hot and rainy central Florida!!
I also have a M2Pro and loving it especially how much technology it has ... it’s awesome! Your going to love it!
I also have some trouble trying to find a place to fly .. luckily I found a small hiking park in a pretty rural area about 40 minutes away from my house and usually there’s no one there during the day when I go !!
definitely get “AirMap” and/or “Kittyhawk” apps .. you can find where there are no restrictions and than try and find a place in those areas to check out ...
I’ll go on the app and look around your area and see what I can find !!
if I see something that you might be interested in I’ll post another message !!
Have fun and good luck ! Stay safe!

I got to fly my Mavic 2 Pro yesterday for the first time. Not in an ideal spot, so I didn't have enough room to maneuver for the automated elements, but already I was utterly blown away - while the drone was NOT blown away by the wind :) It hovered in place and laughed at the wind! I also discovered that when I move the drone while shooting video, the gimbal will instantly adjust so that your video can't even tell that the drone has turned forward by 15 degrees as it moves!

Can't wait to find more places, and I think I have another place to try tonight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf