DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone "nose dipping" during mapping

TonyPHX

Chuck Norris's drones don't crash.
Premium Pilot
Reactions
I am posting this in General because I do not want to limit to just a model sub section, and am hoping to get advice from all. I was flying a mapping mission to create an orthomosaic map. The deliverables turned out great, and there were no problems there, but while flying, I observed that the drone was nose dipping every few seconds. Speed was about 13mph and it was not a windy day. I have flown other missions with this drone, and software combo. (was using dronelink).

I am just wondering if others have ever seen this before as the drone moves along the path. Historically I am used to it just moving along like it is on glass, perfectly level. I am going to dig up a log file to accompany this, but wanted to see if this is something obvious I should check into.

Reactions: LoudThunder
Might it be stopping for every photo?
No ... it's not doing that.
It's speed is just surging ... slowing a little and speeding up and doing that again and again.
There is no need for the drone to stop to capture images in mapping missions.
I carry out mapping at >20 mph without problems.

Dronelink is probably the most powerful system out there and has a LOT of features. As such, it can be easy to set something in the plan without understanding what the implications are. I can think of several reasons why a mapping mission might stop and start - e.g was it an inspection mission, a facade plan, etc.

The best option would be to post the question on the Dronelink forum (https://support.dronelink.com/hc/en-us/community/topics) and include a link to the plan. You can share the plan in read only mode. Typically you will have a response very quickly.

Dronelink sends a command to the drone for every action, rather than uploading the entire mission like Drone Deploy (this is my understanding, please correct me if I am wrong) . I found that if I used an underpowered phone or tablet, it would do this behavior often, sometimes for virtually every photo taken for the mapping. When I use a trpltek pro it still does it but rarely. Best bet would be to do as Houldsworth1 says, and take it to the dronelink site.

Dronelink is probably the most powerful system out there and has a LOT of features. As such, it can be easy to set something in the plan without understanding what the implications are. I can think of several reasons why a mapping mission might stop and start - e.g was it an inspection mission, a facade plan, etc.

The best option would be to post the question on the Dronelink forum (https://support.dronelink.com/hc/en-us/community/topics) and include a link to the plan. You can share the plan in read only mode. Typically you will have a response very quickly.
Well of course Barry! : ) You help me out there often.

I figured whatever I am seeing may not be just Dronelink, but rather any automation software so wanted to try here first. : )

Reactions: houldsworth1
No ... it's not doing that.
It's speed is just surging ... slowing a little and speeding up and doing that again and again.
There is no need for the drone to stop to capture images in mapping missions.
I carry out mapping at >20 mph without problems.
I agree of course @Meta4. It is in joystick mode of course because I was using Dronelink not onboard waypoints. You have me wondering if the specific speed I had chose plus any other variables just resulted in this "surging" that I saw. That is exactly the best word to describe it. I could hear and see it. I was using the RC Pro enterprise with a GREAT connection and it was not range related, that is why I was able to see it so clearly as the front end bobbled over and over again.

I am attaching the log file here as I have been unable to get it to upload properly to phantom viewer's site. In case anyone has a moment to view it, I am interested in any feedback.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2023-01-23_[10-52-53].txt.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Dronelink sends a command to the drone for every action, rather than uploading the entire mission like Drone Deploy (this is my understanding, please correct me if I am wrong) . I found that if I used an underpowered phone or tablet, it would do this behavior often, sometimes for virtually every photo taken for the mapping. When I use a trpltek pro it still does it but rarely. Best bet would be to do as Houldsworth1 says, and take it to the dronelink site.
On the whole you are correct. However, for drones that allow it (P4P, M2P, I2) Dronelink has the option to convert the mission to onboard components that are then uploaded and run independently - the same as DD. Note that the M3 series (or any of the recent drones) do not allow for that.

Information on that is here if interested: https://support.dronelink.com/hc/en...ard-Waypoints-Converting-and-Running-Missions

Last edited:
@houldsworth1 - While we were chatting live today I think you did indeed help me figure it out. My max speed allowed on the mapping component was set to 20mph - much higher than the mission called for. I think the surging that I saw was the result of the drone trying to get up to max speed and hitting the brakes to comply with the map components target of distance being the capture priority.

I lowered it to 10 and reflew same mission in a different location and no surging was observed. Tomorrow I will try the original mission in the same location. Just ran out of time today.

In short - thank you!

@houldsworth1 - While we were chatting live today I think you did indeed help me figure it out. My max speed allowed on the mapping component was set to 20mph - much higher than the mission called for. I think the surging that I saw was the result of the drone trying to get up to max speed and hitting the brakes to comply with the map components target of distance being the capture priority.

I lowered it to 10 and reflew same mission in a different location and no surging was observed. Tomorrow I will try the original mission in the same location. Just ran out of time today.

In short - thank you!
My pleasure - always happy to help!

And thanks for trying to see if the M3E could switch to d-log on video. A shame it didn't work but...it was worth a try.

In short - thank you!
Interesting note about the max speed. I will lower mine next time I do a map to see if there is an improvement.

Reactions: TonyPHX
I am posting this in General because I do not want to limit to just a model sub section, and am hoping to get advice from all. I was flying a mapping mission to create an orthomosaic map. The deliverables turned out great, and there were no problems there, but while flying, I observed that the drone was nose dipping every few seconds. Speed was about 13mph and it was not a windy day. I have flown other missions with this drone, and software combo. (was using dronelink).

I am just wondering if others have ever seen this before as the drone moves along the path. Historically I am used to it just moving along like it is on glass, perfectly level. I am going to dig up a log file to accompany this, but wanted to see if this is something obvious I should check into.
Hi,
Sometimes mapping software causes weird movements, with the drone. Try different software.

I have a video coming out tomorrow showing how to slow things down automatically at each photo point to get super sharp photos.
Unless you are flying in very low light conditions, there should be no need to slow the drone at each point for photo capture.

Unless you are flying in very low light conditions, there should be no need to slow the drone at each point for photo capture.
I have an example at 15mph and 185ft where there is a significant difference in picture quality between the one that slows to 1mph and the one that keeps going. Depending on what you're doing with it the slightly blurry picture might be OK.

I have an example at 15mph and 185ft where there is a significant difference in picture quality between the one that slows to 1mph and the one that keeps going. Depending on what you're doing with it the slightly blurry picture might be OK.
Blurred photos are never OK.
But the drone's speed might not be the real cause of your issue.
Post a full-size original image that demonstrates the problem, and the metadata might help identify the issue.
You might have to upload to dropbox or similar and post a link.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thefons82