DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone on Everest

Joeblow

Premium Pilot
Reactions
The latest (July) issue of National Geographic has a stunning drone photo of Mt. Everest. Anybody know what drone was used?

I am astonished that the rotors actually get any "bite" in the air at that altitude. At a quick glance, it sure looks like a DJI product.

I used to fly actual helicopters and unless they were purpose built for high altitude flying, the safety margins were just too thin to do any useful high altitude work.

The control station appears to have a built-in screen like an Autel.

A little more info: it was flown from the North Col (Camp I) at 7,020 metres (23,030 ft). They were trying to locate the body of Sandy Irvine, who died attempting to summit Everest in 1924.

It was a Mavic 2 Pro with the 20MP Hasselblad camera. Here is an image of the moment when they were taking out the SD card.

f0dc077f2a7b4d06baa857650b7d2569-0001.png

Amazing.

I thought the max altitude was 5 km. I had interpreted that as based on the max lift at altitude. I wonder if they had the standard props, batteries, etc

Curious how he managed batteries.. Long flights, cold, elevation and the Mavic was a large safety factor on the descent for Andrzej..so turn around time for a battery swap would be long, leaving the skier blind on route finding at times.

i wonder how long the flight time was at that height and temp ,not very long i think

I’m surprised they haven’t used at least some liner gloves, frostbite must have been brutal

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000