DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone ordinance lawsuit (part 2) updated with video

Lapeer20m

Reactions
PLEASE KEEP COMMENTS ON TOPIC. MODERATORS CLOSED A SIMILAR THREAD DUE TO TOO MUCH OFF TOPIC CONVERSATIONS.

PLEASE NO COP BASHING. THE OFFICERS HERE ARE NOT REPRESENTATIVE OF YOUR AVERAGE POLICE.

Court date for the preliminary injunction is EDIT* October 7 at 10 am in Michigan’s 7th circuit.

Here is a super short video that explains the crux of the case:

Footage from the original incident the cops accidentally recorded of themselves:

Audio of the original arrest:

Audio with subtitles of me trying to get my items returned:

Finally, a long video that goes into many details if you want to know all the ins/outs:

8B05A0F6-08AA-4152-AD8B-CB8A4AA36D5B.jpeg

Press Release July 30, 2019
MCDO v Genesee County Parks Commission

7247A913-0F08-4739-BE7A-7362C25EC695.jpeg

Last edited:
Best of luck to you guys.
In Arizona the biggest problems are cities, HOAs, etc passing drone laws/regs on flying. The state of Arizona has a governing law for drones and within that law it states that regulation of drone flight within the state, other than on Reservations and National Forest, is reserved by and to the state.

Reactions: Chip
Best of luck to you guys.
In Arizona the biggest problems are cities, HOAs, etc passing drone laws/regs on flying. The state of Arizona has a governing law for drones and within that law it states that regulation of drone flight within the state, other than on Reservations and National Forest, is reserved by and to the state.
Is the Arizona law you mention regulating use of land for takeoff and landings, or do they also imply they have jurisdiction of airspace also? (Countering FAA jurisdictions)

Getting harder and harder to fly, in Canada it's now nearly as bad as rules for flying light plane. Maintenance logs, crash reports, distance from people and events, line of sight, it goes on and on. If authorities want to get you, they will find a way. No fun anymore...at least for me!

Is the Arizona law you mention regulating use of land for takeoff and landings, or do they also imply they have jurisdiction of airspace also? (Countering FAA jurisdictions)
For airspace only in as much as prisons, hospitals, and a few other selected types of things in line with FAA regs. One positive is that any city with more than one park must allow drone flying in at least one... of course other laws/regs, like flying over people prevail.

Reactions: AMann
This situation would be far better if these local political subdivisions were held accountable ($$$) for these violations of state and/or federal law.
It wouldn't take a lawyer very long to figure out that these ordinances are illegal, so one should be able to reasonably assume that the local ordinances are enacted deliberately in violation of state/federal law. and sanctioned accordingly, including damages, and including any attorney fees and other costs..

This situation would be far better if these local political subdivisions were held accountable ($$$) for these violations of state and/or federal law.
It wouldn't take a lawyer very long to figure out that these ordinances are illegal, so one should be able to reasonably assume that the local ordinances are enacted deliberately in violation of state/federal law. and sanctioned accordingly, including damages, and including any attorney fees and other costs..
Could not have said it any better.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum

Bravo!

That’s the thing that keeps me motivated. We’re not dealing with a local government that implemented a drone ordinance not know that doing so was illegal. Like you said, they know it’s unlawful but deliberately chose to do it anyhow.

Attorney and I were discussing this very point last night and the lack of teeth in the preemption law.

I told him that winning in court is better than money. The more they resist, the sweeter the victory.

Getting harder and harder to fly, in Canada it's now nearly as bad as rules for flying light plane. Maintenance logs, crash reports, distance from people and events, line of sight, it goes on and on. If authorities want to get you, they will find a way. No fun anymore...at least for me!
Hi Dyno, I am in Canada. Aside from the current Federal Regulations since June 1st, what requirements are in place for the following?
"Maintenance logs, crash reports"
I'd like to understand what has made it nearly as bad as rules for flying a light plane.

How did it go?

Start a legal expenses Go Fund Me account. I suspect you'll need it. You can count on my pledge for $50!

If/when this is appealed we will be seeking monetary donations. Preparing for the appellate court will likely cost at least $20k in legal fees. More if it goes to MIchigan Supreme Court.

However, I’ve been in touch with some huge corporations that rely on drones for their business model. They understand that this case likely has far reaching ramifications and is in their best interest if this goes our way.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000