DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Purchase Recommendation

caxtin

Reactions
Hello folks,

I had Potensic drone. Potensic T25 I had to return it since I could not order for extra batteries; per aviation travel regulations, to Alaska, US. I had to return and I will reorder it with extra batteries. I have not done so yet. That's why I am here to ask on type of recommended drone to purchase, at a reasonable price.

- With the Potensic T25, before every flight, this drone has to be initialized, which take some times.
- Are all drones in that price category the same, it need initialization before every flying?
- Would you know of a drone at about $200 one can just set up and fly without initialization?
- The drone has four step to take before each flight:

1. Put on a flat surface.
2. Do some joysticks adjustments.
3. Choose the WiFi one needs.
4. Initialize the joysticks again.
5. Hold the drone and spin.

Hope I am not whining since I am new to the drone world?
Thanks

Hello folks,

I had Potensic drone. Potensic T25 I had to return it since I could not order for extra batteries; per aviation travel regulations, to Alaska, US. I had to return and I will reorder it with extra batteries. I have not done so yet. That's why I am here to ask on type of recommended drone to purchase, at a reasonable price.

- With the Potensic T25, before every flight, this drone has to be initialized, which take some times.
- Are all drones in that price category the same, it need initialization before every flying?
- Would you know of a drone at about $200 one can just set up and fly without initialization?
- The drone has four step to take before each flight:

1. Put on a flat surface.
2. Do some joysticks adjustments.
3. Choose the WiFi one needs.
4. Initialize the joysticks again.
5. Hold the drone and spin.

Hope I am not whining since I am new to the drone world?
Thanks
The Dji Mini SE would be a nice selection. I’ve never had a drone that requires all of that process but I know my Mini 2 requires almost no calibration. I mean, every now and then all drones will need calibration at some point but it’s not required.

Reactions: Droniac
Spend a little bit more and get a DJI Mavic mini, you won't be disappointed.
Plenty on eBay for a good price, even new.

Reactions: dozzn and Droniac
Spend a little bit more and get a DJI Mavic mini, you won't be disappointed.
Plenty on eBay for a good price, even new.
Why the Mavic Mini over the Mini 2 or SE?

Holystone has several $200 drones that fly well enough. Just make sure you get the GPS models.

Mini would be last, at best on any list that I create.
Would not take one if you handed it to me for free.

Reactions: Meta4
The Dji Mini SE would be a nice selection. I’ve never had a drone that requires all of that process but I know my Mini 2 requires almost no calibration. I mean, every now and then all drones will need calibration at some point but it’s not required.
What are the features that the Mini-2 has (I love mine!), that the Mini SE doesn't have? I assume the SE camera isn't as good. I don't think I could do without Occusync at this point, but this for the son of a friend who's just getting started.

Thx,

TCS

Before I bought the mini I spent months researching drones. I didn't want to spend a fortune, but I soon realised many of the budget drones around the price I wanted to pay had some shortcomings.
Short control distance, no gimbal, low res camera, short flight time, extras not available, weight, to name a few.

Luckily a good deal came up on a new mini, a bit more than I was looking to pay, but I went for it and so glad I did.
I now realise that the shortcomings above would have been highly annoying.
Many people would say in the end you'll get a DJI drone and now I know why.
I think that if I'd have got one of the budget drones it would likely have put me off the hobby.
As it happens I'm perfectly happy with the mini, it does what I need with an excellent camera.

That drone is just a toy and not at all refined.
None of that hoo-ha is necessary before flying a real drone.
I love how you use "hoo-ha", and it's the perfect description! 😂

For a few bucks more you can get a pre-owned Mavic 1 Pro. It has enough power to fly even when there is some wind. Also the software can be easily changed using No Limit Drones. I have two of them and really enjoy them

Before I bought the mini I spent months researching drones. I didn't want to spend a fortune, but I soon realised many of the budget drones around the price I wanted to pay had some shortcomings.
Short control distance, no gimbal, low res camera, short flight time, extras not available, weight, to name a few.

Luckily a good deal came up on a new mini, a bit more than I was looking to pay, but I went for it and so glad I did.
I now realise that the shortcomings above would have been highly annoying.
Many people would say in the end you'll get a DJI drone and now I know why.
I think that if I'd have got one of the budget drones it would likely have put me off the hobby.
As it happens I'm perfectly happy with the mini, it does what I need with an excellent camera.
So the Mini is still in production? What do they cost? How do the Mini and the Mini SE compare?

Thx,

TCS

So the Mini is still in production? What do they cost? How do the Mini and the Mini SE compare?

Thx,

TCS
The Mini is no longer in production, the SE replaces it and address some of the shortcomings that the original Mini had. The Mini 2 is the more advanced version. Check out the DJI website or Amazon for specs and price differences.

Chris

i am also new to the drone world and have had my mini 2 for about three months now. Very easy to fly, very little setup, great battery life, easy to travel with and takes very good pictures/videos. Cost was $449 new. With fly more pack, just under $600. Couldn’t be happier. Spend a little more and you will be glad you did. I can’t imagine ever wanting another drone.

Thx,

TCS
No longer in production, but still available.
I bought mine from Amazon UK for £168 ($229) brand new sealed.

Price, mini is dirt cheap now compared to mini 2 and SE and would still be a worthy upgrade to his current drone.
Best to go with Mini 2 if buying in that category. Occusync is far beyond wi-fi that the original Mini uses. Wi-fi is short range and if you don't fly in open areas - signal is lost pretty easy. The original Mini is a fun to fly drone, but why buy one when the Mini 2 / SE are way better and not that much more expensive unless you find a Mini at a really great price.

I have an original Mini and like it. Just don't fly it much as I bought the Air2 and in a totally different league than the Mini series. I keep it for traveling outside of the US.

With the newer Air2S and the Mavic 3 coming out - even the Air2 can be a good buy if you can get the FlyMore kit as well. Extra batteries are a must. Buying them separately gets expensive at nearly $115 a piece.

Best to go with Mini 2 if buying in that category. Occusync is far beyond wi-fi that the original Mini uses. Wi-fi is short range and if you don't fly in open areas - signal is lost pretty easy. The original Mini is a fun to fly drone, but why buy one when the Mini 2 / SE are way better and not that much more expensive unless you find a Mini at a really great price.

I have an original Mini and like it. Just don't fly it much as I bought the Air2 and in a totally different league than the Mini series. I keep it for traveling outside of the US.

With the newer Air2S and the Mavic 3 coming out - even the Air2 can be a good buy if you can get the FlyMore kit as well. Extra batteries are a must. Buying them separately gets expensive at nearly $115 a piece.
There's a difference though isn't there, just over $200 compared to double that for a mini 2?
I live rural and fly over fields, fells, bays and open spaces and have managed a distance of 3.5km to date and that's with the weak CE version of the mini.
Before the LOS police comment, I know the rule, if the drone went down it wouldn't harm anyone or anything. No people involved at all.

There's a difference though isn't there, just over $200 compared to double that for a mini 2?
I live rural and fly over fields, fells, bays and open spaces and have managed a distance of 3.5km to date and that's with the weak CE version of the mini.
Before the LOS police comment, I know the rule, if the drone went down it wouldn't harm anyone or anything. No people involved at all.
I guess - each person has to decide which features best works for them.

Again Occusync is leaps ahead of wi-fi and not everyone has miles of flat open land to fly on. Even obstacles like trees creates issues with wi-fi in the Mini. When you add all the new and improved features on the Mini 2 - that price difference can be null and void depending on what YOU want.

As for the LOS police - which there are none - openly stating you fly outside of the rules is not something anyone should be doing on this forum and not expect your hand to be slapped. I would venture that more than 75% of us possibly skirt some of the rules on occasion - but then I don't see people posting that for all to see. If you want to fly like that - that is called choice - but you don't have to post it either. Best to keep that secret.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929