DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Registration Question

lockidy

Reactions
Hi,
I want to register my MA2 before I fly, and I eventually want to do Part 107 work but am not going to take the test yet. If I register as recreational can I change it to a Part 107 registration when the time comes or can I register under Part 107 right now and cannot do work for people until I get the test taken?
Thanks

Reactions: BigAl07
Hi,
I want to register my MA2 before I fly, and I eventually want to do Part 107 work but am not going to take the test yet. If I register as recreational can I change it to a Part 107 registration when the time comes or can I register under Part 107 right now and cannot do work for people until I get the test taken?
You can't change recreational registration to Part 107.
You could register for commercial use, but not work.
Your choice.

Hi,
Thanks
If you even "think" you'll be doing non-Recreational Activities in the future go ahead and do the Part 107 side. It saves you the hassle and $5 should you decide to go that route in the future.

• A Part 107/Commercial Registered UAS can be flown for Recreational purposes.
  • A Recreational Registered UAS can NOT be flown Commercially.

If you even "think" you'll be doing non-Recreational Activities in the future go ahead and do the Part 107 side. It saves you the hassle and $5 should you decide to go that route in the future.

• A Part 107/Commercial Registered UAS can be flown for Recreational purposes.
  • A Recreational Registered UAS can NOT be flown Commercially.
Can you register it under Part 107 side if you do jot have a 107?

If I can recall I had to put in my 107 credentials under Drone Zone in order to register my drones. I could be mistaken, as its been a while.

Can you register it under Part 107 side if you do jot have a 107?

If I can recall I had to put in my 107 credentials under Drone Zone in order to register my drones. I could be mistaken, as its been a while.
FAA_Registration_Info_SAMPLE.jpg

I don't see anywhere it's requiring RPIC #.

View attachment 132665

View attachment 132665

I was pretty sure I had to give them my number when I opened the account. I just registered my wife and confirmed you do not!

like Big Al said I would register the drone for 107 use if you are planning to go that route. Keep in mind under 107 each drone has to be registered. Versus the Recreational its 5 bucks for 3 years and you use that number on all of your drones.
Dave

I'm in the same situation, I just bought the Air 2S not knowing much about drones and FAA requirements. I'll have the drone on Thursday and wanted to initially fly it recreationally as I learn and gain experience. BUT I do want to get my Part 107 commercial drone license in a few weeks, so now I'm facing a decision. I could fly the drone indoors and not violate FAA rules as I get used to operating the drone in a very limited fashion. Or I can simply let it collect dust on my shelf while I take a few weeks and prepare for the license exam. Not an appealing set of options here. There is no technical reason why a drone operator couldn't simply transition a drone from recreational to commercial use - its simply a lack of process on behalf of the FAA's website. Quite a frustrating bit of red tape here. Unless someone else has tried this and knows of a way to do it? If registering "YOU" instead of the drone recreationally is how it works, then how would the FAA know I had "converted" a drone from recreational to commercial? Maybe I'm overthinking this and I can do it, but right now I'm just not sure. Some clarity would be appreciated.

If a drone is registered for recreational use, you can, at a later date, re-register it for Part 107 use. Just pay a new fee and put the new number on it. That's what I did.

If you prefer to avoid paying the double fee, then register it under Part 107 to begin with. You don't need to have a Part 107 certificate in order to register a drone that way.

I just had a long back and forth email discussion with the FAA support team and they confirmed what you said Rich. Even though the language on the site makes it sound like you cannot do this, I think the confusing part is the word they use "transfer". Technically you can't transfer a drone registration from one type to another - but as you say - you can simply register it separately under the Part 107 commercial registration section. So long story short, all of us asking this question should be good to go if we need to register a drone recreationally at first, with no issues registering it separately down the road under a commercial Part 107 registration type.

I think the confusing part is the word they use "transfer". Technically you can't transfer a drone registration from one type to another - but as you say - you can simply register it separately under the Part 107 commercial registration section.
It makes a little more sense when you consider what information they collect. For a recreational registration, you don't provide any information about your drone; you only provide information about yourself. You get one number, and you can place it on as many drones as you own. The FAA doesn't ask or keep a record about what particular drones you have put your registration number on.

When you register under Part 107, the FAA asks for the serial number of your drone, in addition to personal information about you. Each drone is registered individually. You have to get a separate registration number for each drone.

If you had previously registered a drone recreationally, and then registered it under Part 107, the FAA would have no record that the drone you're registering was previously registered recreationally. I suppose they would know that YOU had previously been registered recreationally, but they wouldn't know what drones had been carrying your registration number. So as far as they're concerned, this looks just like a new drone registration.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mavic 3 classic User