DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone regulations in Thailand (HELP)

xdronedk

Reactions
Hi guys,

I’m going to Thailand in a month, and I really want to bring my DJI Mavic Air with me. But I realized that flying it legally in Thailand isn’t as easy as you would think. I’ve looked everywhere and read on all kind of different sites, but in the end I hear different things all the time.

So instead of linking all kind of things to me I’d appreciate some guidance from you guys who might experienced this first hand.

As far as I can tell it is legal to bring a drone into the country. However, if I want to fly I have to register it with NBTC which can’t be done online. (Haven’t found any links that work)

Instead it has to be registered in one of the offices in Thailand for example the one in Bangkok. Has anyone went through this process and can you tell me what I need beforehand?

I also heard that you have to register your drone with CAAT but as far as i can see it’s only if you are gonna use it for commercial use. Is that true?

Other questions:
  1. Can i bring the drone with me in my carry on + the batteries in a LiPo bag? (Flying with Emirates)
  1. Is it legal to bring a drone into the country if you haven’t registered anything? (Just to be sure)
  1. Does any of you know if I can fly my drone in Koh Tao, are they strict there?

Thank you so much in advance. I know it’s a lot to ask for, but I just really want to bring my drone and snap some epic shots!

Hi guys,

I’m going to Thailand in a month, and I really want to bring my DJI Mavic Air with me. But I realized that flying it legally in Thailand isn’t as easy as you would think. I’ve looked everywhere and read on all kind of different sites, but in the end I hear different things all the time.

So instead of linking all kind of things to me I’d appreciate some guidance from you guys who might experienced this first hand.

As far as I can tell it is legal to bring a drone into the country. However, if I want to fly I have to register it with NBTC which can’t be done online. (Haven’t found any links that work)

Instead it has to be registered in one of the offices in Thailand for example the one in Bangkok. Has anyone went through this process and can you tell me what I need beforehand?

I also heard that you have to register your drone with CAAT but as far as i can see it’s only if you are gonna use it for commercial use. Is that true?

Other questions:
  1. Can i bring the drone with me in my carry on + the batteries in a LiPo bag? (Flying with Emirates)

1. Is it legal to bring a drone into the country if you haven’t registered anything? (Just to be sure)

1. Does any of you know if I can fly my drone in Koh Tao, are they strict there?

Thank you so much in advance. I know it’s a lot to ask for, but I just really want to bring my drone and snap some epic shots!

Im thinking about all of the little rules and regs we break sometimes in the USA , and than I think would I ever do any of that in a Foreign Country and the answer is no, no i would not

With that said , please dont rely on getting all the Details from this forum alone , be happy with getting the links and reading as much as you can ... on the subject . This is your adventure , make it your own.

Phantomrain.org
coal

Reactions: xdronedk
Your best bet will be to contact the CAAT and ask them:

There is also some info here:

Anytime I am going to another country, I contact their equivalent of the FAA. I have always found them to be helpful and appreciative that I was putting in the effort to learn the rules properly, and that way you get information from the source rather than other tourists telling you what may or may not be true :) Be sure to ask them specifically about Koh Tao if you're worried.

Ask Emirates for a guaranteed answer for your question about the batteries, but I suspect you're fine. I've yet to come across an airline that requires LiPo bags.

You usually get better information and at the same speed if you go right to the source Thumbswayup

Hi guys,

Other questions:

Here’s a thread with several posts that may answer your questions from 3 travelers to Thailand in Feb 2019.

Can i bring the drone with me in my carry on + the batteries in a LiPo bag? (Flying with Emirates)

No. Emirates is one of the few airlines that actively stops drones in carry on and for no clear reason.
As for LiPo bags, 100% snake oil. No airline or aviation safety body on the planet says they're needed. Save your money.
Batteries MUST be carry on though even if the drone goes in the hold.

Is it legal to bring a drone into the country if you haven’t registered anything? (Just to be sure)

Yes and thousands of people do every day.

Does any of you know if I can fly my drone in Koh Tao, are they strict there?

You'll have no issue as long as you're not an idiot with it. Its banned in national parks and fines are issued. Dont fly it over or near police and miltary areas. And on Khao Tao, avoid flying directly over crowded areas such as beaches.
In short, fly responsibly and unobtrusively and you'll have no problem.

The so-called registration system is still born. Thai nationals and people like myself with legal work permits and visas still cant get it done. They've effectively given up processing.
The local offices to register nationalwide (police stations etc) have no idea what-so-ever about it so wont do it and just say dont worry.
Its like everything else there, lots of laws, lots of regulation and zero enforcement. As you as you aren't causing problems to others nobody cares.
The police if anything and its near the end of the salary month may ask for "tea money" but thats the same as when they stop you on a bike or any other made up offence.

I have just come back from a month in Phuket and surrounding area. I had the same questions and no real answers.

Took my MP1 with no problems with airlines. Just carried it in camera back with other equipment. No one queried it or even asked to open bag.

In Thailand I just flew it in areas without many people and asked locals if they minded if I flew it. No one cared.

Just do it.

Here are the videos I took (Includes Mavis and hand camera)

Hi guys,

Other questions:

Hi Pal,

Is this your first trip to thailand?
If u r , rest assure thais are very friendly and accommodating. Most importantly respect to the people, especially to the their king. they will be very nice to u.

to ans your questions, (based on my multiple visit there)

1) Yes u can , battery in lipo bag mainly are for the flight. the country dont require any of these arrangement, rather most flight dnt require this. ( i do plae my batts in lipo bag though when i travel, just for a peace of mind)

2) All drones must be registered if they A) Have a camera, and B) Weigh 2 kilograms (4.4 pounds) or more.
PLs refer to this link below .

3) Koh tao is drone paradise bro! never leave your bird at home when going there!!!
As mentions, thai are very nice people, just follow our basic rules, not fly over crowd etc etc, u dont irritate the local, u will be just fine!

looking forward for your footage!

Reactions: xdronedk and Porky
Thank you for all your quick and great responses. I've come this conclusion:

It is 100% legal and no problem at all to bring a drone through the customs and into the country. As long as I according to Emirates place my batteries in the carry on and put the drone in my check in luggage.

The registration process is somewhat really complicated and requires both registration from CAAT and NBTC. But as far as I can see from many personal experiences it's a absolute waste of time and it's better to use some common sense and just fly it places where it's possible. Fortunately, the people of Thailand are really friendly so it shouldn't be a problem at all!

Last but not least it looks like I'll be come through some great places to fly for example Koh Tao, which is known to be a less strict place.

Now I'm good to go!

Thank you again everyone :)Thumbswayup

Thank you for all your quick and great responses. I've come this conclusion:

It is 100% legal and no problem at all to bring a drone through the customs and into the country. As long as I according to Emirates place my batteries in the carry on and put the drone in my check in luggage.

The registration process is somewhat really complicated and requires both registration from CAAT and NBTC. But as far as I can see from many personal experiences it's a absolute waste of time and it's better to use some common sense and just fly it places where it's possible. Fortunately, the people of Thailand are really friendly so it shouldn't be a problem at all!

Last but not least it looks like I'll be come through some great places to fly for example Koh Tao, which is known to be a less strict place.

Now I'm good to go!

Thank you again everyone :)Thumbswayup

So did you fly without registering?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahb