DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Scanner App

R

rcanboy27

According to a video post by Ken Heron yesterday interviewing a Drone Tag technician. the app only works if you have the module installed on the UAS. That explains why nobody is getting reception. The app is meant to link with the module, not with the drone. Attached is the video.

To me it seems that's a huge device.
Making older drones a little less safe with more wind drag, less flight time, something that could fall off.

Indeed. like more recent drones with RID capability, it's that part that sends the signal.
Still not 100% sure they both send the same info, the same app can pick both up ?
I guess so.

Reactions: LoudThunder
Making older drones a little less safe with more wind drag, less flight time, something that could fall off.

Indeed. like more recent drones with RID capability, it's that part that sends the signal.
Still not 100% sure they both send the same info, the same app can pick both up ?
I guess so.
According to the Drone Tag technician, the model showed in the video is meant to be used on enterprise UAS, they are working on a small version for the everyday UAS pilot

Reactions: LoudThunder
Mavic Pilot's Guideline

14. We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate discourtesy or disrespect.

Keep it civil

I guess so.
This is straigt from the FAA website pertaining to modules. It will not transmit the pilot location.
  • Remote ID capability through module attached to drone
  • Limited to visual line of sight operations
  • From takeoff to shutdown, drone broadcasts:
    • Drone ID
    • Drone location and altitude
    • Drone velocity
    • Takeoff location and elevation
    • Time mark

This is straigt from the FAA website pertaining to modules. It will not transmit the pilot location.
  • Remote ID capability through module attached to drone
  • Limited to visual line of sight operations
  • From takeoff to shutdown, drone broadcasts:
    • Drone ID
    • Drone velocity
    • Takeoff location and elevation
    • Time mark

Hmmm, be interesting if that is above take off point (imagine so) or AGL.
Be handy if it was AGL, but not likely.

To me the whole RID thing is going to be a bit hard to work with all around, I mean are toy drones going to be illegal, those with rudimentary cameras, etc, even if there are weight exclusions many are quite large.

The whole thing will be interesting for sure, and likely relevant to places like here in Australia, or for pilots in the UK.
It’s very likely if it looks like the FAA has implemented a reasonable control measure, those other airspace authorities will also probably go down the RID path.

To me the whole RID thing is going to be a bit hard to work with all round, I mean are roy drones going to be illegal, those with rudimentary cameras etc, even if there are weight exclusions many are quite large.

The whole thing will be interesting for sure, and likely relevant to places like here in Australia, or for pilots in the UK.
It’s very likely if it looks like the FAA have implemented a reasonable control measure, those other airspace authorities will also probably go down the RID path.
In my personal opinion, RID is overrated.
As of January 2021, there are 1,782,479 drones registered in the US, the drone registration statistics show. The majority of the registered drones are recreational, with 1,256,336 in number, while the rest are for commercial purposes reaching 522,645 as of January 2021. (How many drones are in the sky right now - Flight-Drone)
FAA relies on a skilled and specialized workforce of nearly 45,000 employees to operate and oversee the national airspace system. The FAAs regional office is located in Brussels, Belgium, and senior representatives are also stationed there as well as in Paris, Dakar, Abu Dhabi, and Warsaw. There is no way they can monitor every UAS in the US, especially those individuals in remote locations. (How many FAA employees are there? - Question And Answer Club)
As far as here in the US, they are going to concentrate in those individuals violating the rules over and over on sensitive places like stadiums, airports, schools, etc. They are not going to go to Joe Blow's house because he or she was flying a UAS over 400AGL in a G airspace. As far as Australia, is the same deal, there are more than 1,800 certified drone operators in Australia. And the number is only increasing. (Drone Industry in Australia: A Complete Analysis - The Drones World). The Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) will not be able to track every drone. If you are flying your drone in a reckless manner, of course, someone will report you to the authorities, but the FAA nor CASA are reconnaissance teams, people just need to relax and stop making scenarios that will never happen. Is just like those info commercials, they want you to buy articles that they made up for problems that doesn't exist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: John48
In my personal opinion, RID is overrated.
As of January 2021, there are 1,782,479 drones registered in the US, the drone registration statistics show. The majority of the registered drones are recreational, with 1,256,336 in number, while the rest are for commercial purposes reaching 522,645 as of January 2021. (How many drones are in the sky right now - Flight-Drone)
FAA relies on a skilled and specialized workforce of nearly 45,000 employees to operate and oversee the national airspace system. The FAAs regional office is located in Brussels, Belgium, and senior representatives are also stationed there as well as in Paris, Dakar, Abu Dhabi, and Warsaw. There is no way they can monitor every UAS in the US, especially those individuals in remote locations. (How many FAA employees are there? - Question And Answer Club)
As far as here in the US, they are going to concentrate in those individuals violating the rules over and over on sensitive places like stadiums, airports, schools, etc. They are not going to go to Joe Blow's house because he or she was flying a UAS over 400AGL in a G airspace. As far as Australia, is the same deal, there are more than 1,800 certified drone operators in Australia. And the number is only increasing. (Drone Industry in Australia: A Complete Analysis - The Drones World). The Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) will not be able to track every drone. If you are flying your drone in a reckless manner, of course, someone will report you to the authorities, but the FAA nor CASA are reconnaissance teams, people just need to relax and stop making scenarios that will never happen. Is just like those info commercials, they want you to buy articles that they made up for problems that doesn't exist.
Check this page - https://www.faa.gov/airports/regions

According to the Drone Tag technician, the model showed in the video is meant to be used on enterprise UAS, they are working on a small version for the everyday UAS pilot
The dronetag beacon is the noncellular version and it has also gotten FAA approval, but still not sure why they even bothered with the dronetag mini here in the states. There is also a Zephyr module 100.

To me the whole RID thing is going to be a bit hard to work with all around, I mean are toy drones going to be illegal, those with rudimentary cameras, etc, even if there are weight exclusions many are quite large.

It’s very likely if it looks like the FAA has implemented a reasonable control measure, those other airspace authorities will also probably go down the RID path.

It definitely won't be altitude AGL. The drone doesn't know that information, nor can any small device like the one described.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60